two NYC questions

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
is rock and soul still around and does ras kush still run satta sundays at swim?thank you.

Comments

• Rock & Soul is still around.

Have no idea on #2, sorry.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    merci.

• swim closed about 2 years ago.

• Options
    Kush still works at Jammyland, no? Call and ask him what's up.

K.

oh. hope the owners didn't lose too much.

i played with kush a few years ago - i guess i'll try to track him through jammyland.

ha! same thought. i don't even know if he knows about david.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Very excited.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i saw kush on sunday, he was djing at some sorta yuppy spot on thompson and broome. he said he wasn't spinning out much, b/c he was doing lots of production instead. in fact, i don't think he's spinning out at all, really...

• Rock and Soul had a serious makeover, and quite frankly, I'm almost embarrased to be working at the spot I'm at right now. they are mad clean and complete as far as gear is concerned.

I'm hella drunk so forgive my sorry ass.....

Rock and Soul had a serious makeover, and quite frankly, I'm almost embarrased to be working at the spot I'm at right now. they are mad clean and complete as far as gear is concerned.

I'm hella drunk so forgive my sorry ass.....

Y'ALL DON'T SELL GEMINI TURNTABLES, RAMONES REPRESSES, AND DANCEHALL MASH UPS, MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!

• fuck all that, I wouldn't buy equipment from those mugs if it were a fire extinguisher and my pants were burning. Shady fucks. It's really all about

WHITE LABEL BOOK

is rock and soul still around and does ras kush still run satta sundays at swim?

thank you.

RAS KUSH
    Is working On New Productions
    He also just palyed Germany /Belgum in August so
    Black Redemption Sound System is alive and well.

RAS KUSH will be performing with I DuB NY in Toronto over the Thanksgiving Weekend
    At Several Choice spots TBA.

BASS and RIDDIM WLL QUAKE AND SHAKE

Do YOu Know "Rocky" the dub feind?

yes, i know Rocky!

guess I'll wait to catch up with him in Toronto - thanks for the info.

• Options
    is rock and soul still around and does ras kush still run satta sundays at swim?

thank you.

RAS KUSH
    Is working On New Productions
    He also just palyed Germany /Belgum in August so
    Black Redemption Sound System is alive and well.

RAS KUSH will be performing with I DuB NY in Toronto over the Thanksgiving Weekend
    At Several Choice spots TBA.

BASS and RIDDIM WLL QUAKE AND SHAKE

Do YOu Know "Rocky" the dub feind?

yes, i know Rocky!

guess I'll wait to catch up with him in Toronto - thanks for the info.

Ah, the small world. Is he playing on our THanksgiving (thanks for trees) or your Thanksgiving (thanks for guns)?

Kevin.

• WHITE LABEL BOOK

my shit

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

thank you.

I remember when Rock and Soul would hate on HIPHOP. The djs workin' there would me and my homies.

as a non-resident, I think I've missed out on a lot of these finer (not so fine) points about rock and soul. I've always found pretty good records there.

as a non-resident, I think I've missed out on a lot of these finer (not so fine) points about rock and soul. I've always found pretty good records there.

OH, no doubt.........I still cop from there.
    Back in the 80's the dj there were serious club/house cats would were naturally
    territorial about "their" store. Its all good. Times change.

the real question is whagohon the weekend of Oct 21-23? maybe too soon to ask.

• as a non-resident, I think I've missed out on a lot of these finer (not so fine) points about rock and soul. I've always found pretty good records there.

I don't know about their used stock. I used to look when I worked around there but mostly beat up and common. As for new records, both hip-hop and reggae, it can't be beat. Their stock eclipses any other store for new vinyl, although TTLab offers a distilled version it is still not as comprehensive as Rock N Soul. Their white label book is the jam, it used to be some kind of state secret with them pretending they didn't know what you were talking about if you asked and shit... I think they got raided a few times... anyways, that's the real reason to hit it up, as well as the odd major label promo that they get in quantity. If you're looking for something months old sometimes they are the only option as well. But who knows how long that will continue to be relevant what with Serato and everything. I can usually download something at this point before it even gets white labeled. Beat Street used to be a decent alternative but bye bye Beat Street.

The deal with Rock N Soul is that it's run by shady ass Israelis and Africans that are slimy to deal with on big equipment purchases. They make nice deals but you always have the feeling that the shit fell off the back of a truck. Bringing shit there for repair is a sketchy situation. My boy's mixer caught on fire one time while they were tinkering with it at the counter!

• The deal with Rock N Soul is that it's run by shady ass Israelis and Africans that are slimy to deal with on big equipment purchases. They make nice deals but you always have the feeling that the shit fell off the back of a truck. Bringing shit there for repair is a sketchy situation. My boy's mixer caught on fire one time while they were tinkering with it at the counter!

Sounds like Armands in philly.

"you pay cash i sell you no tax"

• The deal with Rock N Soul is that it's run by shady ass Israelis and Africans that are slimy to deal with on big equipment purchases. They make nice deals but you always have the feeling that the shit fell off the back of a truck. Bringing shit there for repair is a sketchy situation. My boy's mixer caught on fire one time while they were tinkering with it at the counter!

Sounds like Armands in philly.

"you pay cash i sell you no tax"

"this right now price. this price not for tomorrow or this afternoon. right now. cheapest price. you go look. but you for this price buy right now."

I don't know about their used stock. I used to look when I worked around there but mostly beat up and common. As for new records, both hip-hop and reggae, it can't be beat. Their stock eclipses any other store for new vinyl, although TTLab offers a distilled version it is still not as comprehensive as Rock N Soul. Their white label book is the jam, it used to be some kind of state secret with them pretending they didn't know what you were talking about if you asked and shit... I think they got raided a few times... anyways, that's the real reason to hit it up, as well as the odd major label promo that they get in quantity. If you're looking for something months old sometimes they are the only option as well. But who knows how long that will continue to be relevant what with Serato and everything. I can usually download something at this point before it even gets white labeled. Beat Street used to be a decent alternative but bye bye Beat Street.

The deal with Rock N Soul is that it's run by shady ass Israelis and Africans that are slimy to deal with on big equipment purchases. They make nice deals but you always have the feeling that the shit fell off the back of a truck. Bringing shit there for repair is a sketchy situation. My boy's mixer caught on fire one time while they were tinkering with it at the counter!

you need to write some sort of guide! Thank You for such good info.

the last line made me laugh.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

The deal with Rock N Soul is that it's run by shady ass

I haven't dealt with them in years... But I remember the shadyness goin on. Nothing I would wanna talk on a board about mind you. But they were a good source to buy shit for my shops back in the day.

Beat Street used to be a decent alternative but bye bye Beat Street.

what are you talking about? i was at Beat Street yesterday. it's better than ever, with a 50 cent bin that's off the chain! i got "ridin' spinners" by Three 6 for 50 cents (as well as 50 cent (p.i.mp.) for 50 cent) and a Latee repress for 99 cents...

i actually think Beat Street kills Rock and Soul, you just have to know the song you want as they don't have a book, so you can't browse. but if you ask the little japanese chick, she'll find it for you... they get better stuff at Beat Street, too.

as for equipment at Rock and Soul, that place is like a Third World Bazar... it's like all those Times Sq. electronic shops. if you pay more than 75% of the price (or pay tax), you got gypped! i've seen crackheads go in there to buy walkmans and seriously pay like half of what they were asking...

i actually think Beat Street kills Rock and Soul, you just have to know the song you want as they don't have a book, so you can't browse. but if you ask the little japanese chick, she'll find it for you...

That's Jun.......nice woman.