Extras appreciation thread

djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
holy shit is this show funny.

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    is that dude from the office?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    yep Ricky Gervais, he's up there with Steve Coogan in the "brit funny meter".

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    To Ricky Gervais I say:

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I see potential in Extras. The end of the show was a payoff, but not huge. Cerebral Palsy is oft neglected for ridicule and I???m glad somebody is finally taking it on.

Jarvis??? character is totally lacking in definition (should have a better sense for who he is even after one episode). It seems like he???s going for average bloke ??? which i'm not sure will work out. everyone's hoping to see david brent as a "background artist" but of course gervais is going to avoid that.

My biggest issue, like with the Office, is that I have no clue what the f-k they???re saying.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    when the phuck is season 3 of the office happening?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    thought the american vers is going on now?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I think they decided to dead it, no?

• The Office is my favorite show ever.

Imagine how hyped i was for Extras.

I was dissapointed, thought it was pretty .

I didn tlike how average joe his character was. Im gonna give it a couple more chances though, most of my friends loved it. Im sure i just built it up in my mind before it aired.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

you've got to be phucking kidding me...didnt it have a lot of dvd sales, and enough people bigged it up, i just got into it late last year...

• is the office funny ? gimme a joke from the office that is funny printed on the computer screen...

I just saw extras and i was dying. when he was talking to the priest...hilarious!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

you're obviously not up on your defamer news. they re-uped office yesterday for the third season.

wait, you guys are talking about the us version right? uk version has been dead for almost two years.

• You shouldn't compare it to the office. It's not the best ever but there's some really good bits . I don't see how you yanks can get all the humour though for example one of the best episodes is based around a british comic called les dennis & his real life personal ish, surely you can't know who he is & must lose half the gags?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

you've got to be phucking kidding me...didnt it have a lot of dvd sales, and enough people bigged it up, i just got into it late last year...

If you haven't already, you need to watch the Office Special DVD. They wrap up the show pretty well in that one.

• Rewatched episode one of Extras last night. It better then i first thought, but only really funny when Gervais slips into david brent-isms.

The supporting cast is very weak and underwritten. I dont like steven merchants character who is too over the top to be belieavble i think. But hes better then the other, very boring, supporting players. Tim and Gareth and Finchy and The COmputer Guy were as funny as Gervais alot of the time in The Office. Every character was killing it in that show.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    office was mad overated if you ask me.. me and my wife laughed apporx two times durring the entire season.. blah.

ive gotta peep this extras shit.. got it on the server but didnt realise what it was.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    office was mad overated if you ask me.. me and my wife laughed apporx two times durring the entire season.. blah.

I hope you're reffering to the US version (which is indeed "blah"), because the OG series was brilliant from start to finish. If you didn't laugh at it, the problem is definitely with you.

I just finally downloaded the entire first season of Extras and I think it's great. Not The Office, sure, but better than most American sitcoms by far.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    You shouldn't compare it to the office. It's not the best ever but there's some really good bits . I don't see how you yanks can get all the humour though for example one of the best episodes is based around a british comic called les dennis & his real life personal ish, surely you can't know who he is & must lose half the gags?

That and the Ross Kemp one were the funniest. I missed a couple of them, but on the whole I thought it was good, without being crack-a-rib hilarious. I do get the impression that a lot of people were expecting "The Office II", and he made it pretty clear he was never gonna do that.