Big Dude??? Hip-Hop Collectors

Comments

• t_belmont IS NOT TO BE F**KED WITH.

The crazy shit about t_belmont (errr... yin_man_ting) is that homeboy doesn't just outbid kids, he CRUSHES them... Tony D throws up auctions with $199 reserves where the next highest bidder is like $20 or $50 or $70 or something like that... Last second, Mr. Belmont's in there yoking it for the reserve at $100 to $150 more than the next man would pay... Then the exact same record goes on eBay a week or two later to the next highest bidder from the og auction and fetches 1/10th of what he paid...

He's not the wisest bidder, but God bless the kid to have deep pockets like that... He's made more than one seller very happy (and damn near paid for Tony's mortgage in the process)...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

t_belmont IS NOT TO BE F**KED WITH.

The crazy shit about t_belmont (errr... yin_man_ting) is that homeboy doesn't just outbid kids, he CRUSHES them... Tony D throws up auctions with $199 reserves where the next highest bidder is like $20 or $50 or $70 or something like that... Last second, Mr. Belmont's in there yoking it for the reserve at $100 to $150 more than the next man would pay... Then the exact same record goes on eBay a week or two later to the next highest bidder from the og auction and fetches 1/10th of what he paid...

He's not the wisest bidder, but God bless the kid to have deep pockets like that... He's made more than one seller very happy (and damn near paid for Tony's mortgage in the process)...

I was bidding against him in an auction this week & when I saw his name, I knew the price would go through the roof if I tried him. I went for the max I was comfortable paying, but this guy is crazy. Ultimately, a guy like this benfits buyers, IMO. Other dudes see stuff catch loot & then put up their copies only to find that the market isn't quite as ripe as they hoped.

While we're talking about ebay, check this craziness.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4770882718&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

h

• yeap, I was gonna say, Kev Beacham holds it down in the midwest, along with DJ Top Speed in Indianapolis.

ohshit...i had a tape i knew noting about by dj topspeed, mixing ultimate breaks. started off with the chevron drum record spoken word thing. same topspeed?

• id have to say that there are probably many many heads with sick record collections. some who might not even be "hector the colector" type of dudes, but just kept getting record pool stock and radio promos fover the course of a decade.
    but i also meet new people every year in philly who have stockpiles of joints and they ARE ill collectors. i just met this one dude who was lookin for poppy p in cue records. we started talking about all the random joints that were getting a lot of people drooling and he was just like "courageous chief? yeah i got 3 of those." and on and on. i figured there were probably 8 people in philly looking for real goofy shit like that, but there are plenty. and they got crates

• there are only a few jersey heads that i know of that have deep crates, and that's good for me because it gives me a chance to dig in peace. although i have had to jockey for position as of late at a few of my regular spots, so maybe more heads are digging by me.

• yeap, I was gonna say, Kev Beacham holds it down in the midwest, along with DJ Top Speed in Indianapolis.

ohshit...i had a tape i knew noting about by dj topspeed, mixing ultimate breaks. started off with the chevron drum record spoken word thing. same topspeed?

Most likely. He did a tape like that for Scribble Jam around 2000. The spoken word intro. is from 'In this World' by Billy Wooten.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Who's holding the Midwest down? Or the South?

It's kind of a different game... a lot of the most sought after and collectible southern stuff is CD/cassette only.

not necessarily true... they just do small runs of 12's.

I would say in the south... it's about dj styles, Cipher, and Russell, for sure.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Who's holding the Midwest down? Or the South?

i also agree with Top Speed and Cipher...

also, for overall deep Rap crates here in the Bay, id have to say Derrick D. i know thats my knocka but still, dude has easy 10-15,000 rap records from the rare to the newest promos. its easy to do that when youre a DJ and have been spinning since the 80s. plus hes a collector...

what about J-Bird? i heard hes got a real nice rap collection thats categorized by year/label... or something like that...

• Who got the heat in your town?
    In Michigan, my show DJ and friend Benny Ben has a pretty decent collection. I'm not up on raers or anything, so I couldn't attest. I don't think he's tried to test his collection against anything either. He probably has any decent record to ever come out of Detroit, from AWOL to Detroit's Most Wanted to Slum Village. He's not an anal collector, just a hoarder. Should have a mixtape called "Where Ya Recordz At?" soon. his myspace page

Umm... and Houseshoes may have a sick collection too. He's the tastemaker for Detroit hip-hop. He broke Dilla's stuff back in the 90s. He's been featured in URB. I know he's cool with Jake One, Kon & Amir and other notable record junkies.
    his myspace page

Again, these are assumptions, just based on what they play in public. I'm a lil' dude when it comes to hip-hop records. I only collect my friend's wax, when it comes to hip-hop.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Who got the heat in your town?
    In Michigan, my show DJ and friend Benny Ben has a pretty decent collection.

yeah, Ben isnt coming close to anything mentioned here though.

• what about J-Bird? i heard hes got a real nice rap collection thats categorized by year/label... or something like that...

J-Bird has a cool collection, but last time I checked, he was borrowing records for his mixtapes

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    How would Stretch Armstrong rank, I wonder. Is he even on the list?

• like someone else mentioned, rap is too widespread for one dude to have anything locked. I've seen gangsta rap CD and tape wantlists that blew my fuckin mind, like I didnt' know a single group on their. Rap is outta controlllll. I also think any of the big big dudes with records aren't grabbin em from Ebay. Most of the big hip hop collectors I know are bargain hunters, and would only pay these crazy prices for certain pieces.

• How would Stretch Armstrong rank, I wonder. Is he even on the list?

Last time I was at his crib, which was close to 8 years ago probly, he had RIDICULOUS amounts of 12"s. Just silly, shelving on the walls stretching way up over your head (15 feet high maybe? I forget), full of records. Lots of multiple copies and sealed stuff. I don't know about how many of those were really raers, but it was a LOT of damn records, I'll say that much. He had an OG Wayne McGhie too.

• phil, that location from aint no 1/2 steppin?
    i always wondered what the fuck it meant?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    phil, that location from aint no 1/2 steppin?

I think Kane was referring to his "Cameo" high top fade, like Larry Blackmon's. Losing his hair and he'd still have strength? That goes back to the Samson story from the bible.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    phil, that location from aint no 1/2 steppin?

Its a reference to Samson whose strength came from his hair.(maybe dreads).

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Last time I was at his crib, which was close to 8 years ago probly, he had RIDICULOUS amounts of 12"s. Just silly, shelving on the walls stretching way up over your head (15 feet high maybe? I forget), full of records. Lots of multiple copies and sealed stuff. I don't know about how many of those were really raers, but it was a LOT of damn records, I'll say that much. He had an OG Wayne McGhie too.

Wow. Yeah, I definately admire his taste in 12"s a lot. But I don't have any sense of whether he'd have the old old old school stuff on lock. I've never really heard him go off in that area.

• i wish i could spend money like this dude on records

who is that guy anyways? seems like he would have a killer hiphop collection...

^^Dude is stratospheric... Look what he bought.
    Man, I thought I knew all of Tuff Crew & associates material (still searching for the DJ Too Tuff & Mc Mechanism demo), what the fuck is this...?

Cassette...$110.27...???[/b]
    DANGER ZONE MOBB SQUAD "T.L. Back To Yell" b/w "Flip'n Keeloz" cassette single on Sureshot. Not sure of the year but it must be from the early 90's. Very obscure local Philly rap with a Tuff Crew connection- this is basically a Tone Love and DJ Duce Ace Detonator Too Tuff (what a name!) single. Cassette looks unplayed.

Man, I thought I knew all of Tuff Crew & associates material (still searching for the DJ Too Tuff & Mc Mechanism demo), what the fuck is this...?

DANGER ZONE MOBB SQUAD "T.L. Back To Yell" b/w "Flip'n Keeloz" cassette single on Sureshot. Not sure of the year but it must be from the early 90's. Very obscure local Philly rap with a Tuff Crew connection- this is basically a Tone Love and DJ Duce Ace Detonator Too Tuff (what a name!) single. Cassette looks unplayed.

tony d somehow has a copy of that on vinyl. i always thought it went under "tonelove".

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    tony d somehow has a copy of that on vinyl. i always thought it went under "tonelove".

Yeah, 'Back To Yell' was on one of Tony D's mix CDs. He mixed the track, so he scooped a test press of it on wax.
    It's a dope track, but I'd have issues parting with $110 for a cassette these days.

but I'd have issues parting with $110 for a cassette these days.

cheapskate...

DANGER ZONE MOBB SQUAD "T.L. Back To Yell" b/w "Flip'n Keeloz" cassette single on Sureshot. Not sure of the year but it must be from the early 90's. Very obscure local Philly rap with a Tuff Crew connection- this is basically a Tone Love and DJ Duce Ace Detonator Too Tuff (what a name!) single. Cassette looks unplayed.[/url]

Yeah, that price shocked the hell outta me too. But I am not complaining ($$$)! I will surely be digging through my tape boxes to see what other forgotten goodies I might have laying around collecting dust. Now that I see that there are people willing to buy cassettes, I think I'm gonna find out soon if there's a market for good unreleased demos by unknown rappers, early 90's mixtapes, advance promo cassettes for journalists only, etc. I think I have stuff like acapellas and instrumentals on tape that came straight from the labels for remix purposes but were never commercially released.

• Who got the heat in your town?

And you'd know this by going through his collection, right?
    He's not a digger that brags, but he's got some pretty spectacular pieces, amidst his 12,000 plus records. ARe they all good? Who knows?

like someone else mentioned, rap is too widespread for one dude to have anything locked. I've seen gangsta rap CD and tape wantlists that blew my fuckin mind, like I didnt' know a single group on their. Rap is outta controlllll. I also think any of the big big dudes with records aren't grabbin em from Ebay. Most of the big hip hop collectors I know are bargain hunters, and would only pay these crazy prices for certain pieces.

This is the reason I don't collect rap. I don't think I'll ever have the space to house it.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Who got the heat in your town?

And you'd know this by going through his collection, right?
    He's not a digger that brags, but he's got some pretty spectacular pieces, amidst his 12,000 plus records. ARe they all good? Who knows?

no, but I have had conversations with him and I know what he doesnt have. Not putting him on blast. Just saying that I know he doesnt hold it down like Strech or Shadow etc.... which is the caliber of people we are talking about here.

• Options

I remember once hearing on the show Bobbito dropping the address to send vinyl promos to, and to send 4 copies one for Bob and three for Stretch.

A story I heard from a friend who was at his spot around 10 years ago was that Stretch had a few thousand joints lined up in the hallway outside his apartment that he was getting rid of, which on its own would have made a decent collection for most people.

What about Ahmir from the Roots? Didn't Cosmo post up pictures from his record room with something like 15 foot high shelves?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

What about Ahmir from the Roots? Didn't Cosmo post up pictures from his record room with something like 15 foot high shelves?

Sween -

Think he's got about 50 000 records total according to what I read recently - don't know how much of that is comprised of hip-hop tho'...

Yeah, that price shocked the hell outta me too. But I am not complaining ($$$)! I will surely be digging through my tape boxes to see what other forgotten goodies I might have laying around collecting dust. Now that I see that there are people willing to buy cassettes, I think I'm gonna find out soon if there's a market for good unreleased demos by unknown rappers, early 90's mixtapes, advance promo cassettes for journalists only, etc. I think I have stuff like acapellas and instrumentals on tape that came straight from the labels for remix purposes but were never commercially released.

Phil if you find any rare acapellas i'll pay some loot for them. Let me know. (haha if you remember this post when you get around to it.)

That goes to any other people on this board with rare pellas they'd be willing to part with. I don't even care what it's on. I'll take mp3's.

• Yo, Odub what's poppin? For me, I would have to say (in no particular order) the following people throughout the years that I have personally know them have had the illest Hip-Hop collections.

DJ Rob One (RIP)
    DJ Top Speed
    DJ Shame-Vinyl Reanimators
    Stretch Armstrong
    J Bird
    DJ Third Rail (Chicago cat)
    MEK One-CBS Crew/Fly ID Crew
    DJ Eclipse

peace,
    amir