Big Dude??? Hip-Hop Collectors

Comments

• yes, i'm def interested as to what a serious hip hop collection consists of.

are we talking 50 crates of sloppy record pool ish (4th avenue jones promos?), or crates with records like diamond d's "the hiatus" remix promo and serious original 12"s? is it a combination of both? please elaborate.

• yes, i'm def interested as to what a serious hip hop collection consists of.

are we talking 50 crates of sloppy record pool ish (4th avenue jones promos?), or crates with records like diamond d's "the hiatus" remix promo and serious original 12"s? is it a combination of both? please elaborate.

sloppy record pool shit shouldn't count...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    yes, i'm def interested as to what a serious hip hop collection consists of.

Its gotta be stuff that's quality - I think people are asking who's the american rap equal of Keb Darge, not some random guy with crates of dollar bin records.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Who's holding the Midwest down? Or the South?

It's kind of a different game... a lot of the most sought after and collectible southern stuff is CD/cassette only.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I think that dude Russel Gonzalez from the K-Otix in Houston would have a tasty collection... dude was killin' it on ebay back in the late 90s...

peace.

i remember that dude but blanked on his ebay name.

Occasionally posts here under the handle ARE (which is his K-Otix moniker)...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    CAS: TELL YOUR BIZ STORY.

alrighy then...

nothing too fancy pants. a few years back a friend of friend gets a gig djing a party with biz as the headliner. my friends friend brings his tables and new mixer. biz gets on to do his set and as he spins he commences to eat one of those big boxes of mcdonald chicken mcnuggets. i think like the 20 piece party boxes or some shit. anyway at the end of the night the mixer knobs and face plate were completely covered in mcnugget grease.

I know we all got love for Biz and all that...but dude must be an unbelievably disgusting individual to be around. Everybody I know who has met Biz and been around him for more than two minutes has some gross story about him to tell.

• nothing too fancy pants. a few years back a friend of friend gets a gig djing a party with biz as the headliner. my friends friend brings his tables and new mixer. biz gets on to do his set and as he spins he commences to eat one of those big boxes of mcdonald chicken mcnuggets. i think like the 20 piece party boxes or some shit. anyway at the end of the night the mixer knobs and face plate were completely covered in mcnugget grease.

EBay headline: DJ MIXER- OG BIZ McNUG GREASE - RARE MODER FAST FOOD!!!
    subheadline: Hasn't been washed.

DJ Ferrari

• Biz is eccentric, but he is a great, down to earth cat. A real genuine dude.

• I was talking this over with a friend earlier, who knows a lot of the cats mentioned already, and his observation is that a lot of rap collectors have insane crates in specific GEOGRAPHIC regions, but there may not be a lot of people who have everything covered, across the board. For example, I'm sure Shadow has some kick ass rap records but I hear he's not as complete on East Coast random rap stuff as folks like, say, K-Prince. Likewise those, a lot of the NY set might have every hip-hop 12" to ever come out of the Tri-State but may not have any of the West Coast gangsta ill shit that someone like Shadow and others would be more up on (Josh Bea - I see you!)

Who's holding the Midwest down? Or the South?

I don't know all the players, but I think Shadow is likely the deepest all around. A lot of the bigger names out there seem to be really NY or NE-focused-- that's pretty much where everything off the "Hear No Evil" or "WKOD" CDs came from. Shadow seems to have a lot of great raers not just from the late 80s/early 90s NY scene, but from the West, the Midwest, Miami and not just limited to the James Brown random sound.

I'm surprised this thread has gotten this far without a mention of Dave Tompkins.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Biz is eccentric, but he is a great, down to earth cat. A real genuine dude.

Word. Paul Nice and I should start a thread of Biz stories one day, there are SO many funny stories! Just talking to that dude on the phone is always complete comedy. He is a very cool guy. Anytime he comes through town, Supreme and I meet up with him and he proceeds to show us ALL kinds of crazy records and play us all kinds of raer joints off of CDRs. Unreleased Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh 80s songs like woah! Marcell Hall is that dude.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I have a few "rap" records but I wouldn't call myself a bid dude. Also, I heard a story about biz stopping off at 7-11 and running into to get some candy. He buys the box of Boston Baked beans. Not one small box, the entire box containg all of the small boxes. Then jumps in the car and eats them all, he rips off the lid and swallows the whole box and lets them fall all down his face and stomach! Lol. Then he goes to the grocery store with Pajamas on and throws 30 boxes of cereal in a cart and heads to the checkout counter. Paul nizzle, can I get a witness? I deejayed with Biz many times. One time we just got done and I was talkin' to him and some girl walks up and right in the middle of our conversation he just grabbed her hand and left! Shit was hilarious. Then another time we were leaving the club and some kid ran up to him and Biz slammed the car door in the kids face. This dude is fuckin hilarious, the first time I met him he had got my number from someone and called me out of the blue, I answered my phone and he said "You don't have any records"! I was laughing so fuckin' hard, he continued to sing to me for two hours. No lie.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I would think that would change the thread to who's holding it down in your town on the hip-hop tip, right?
    I also agree that I bet most of the heavy hip-hop dudes won't be well-known, outside of their area.

Could we get examples of a serious hip-hop collection?

There is this foll named Mr. Supreme here in Seattle and that dude got a serious hip-hop collection. DJ B-Mello got hella hip-hop records as does DV One. Jake One got a few Hip-Hop records too. Those are the dudes in Seattle. Who got the heat in your town?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "You don't have any records"!

• Biz is eccentric, but he is a great, down to earth cat. A real genuine dude.

Word. Paul Nice and I should start a thread of Biz stories one day, there are SO many funny stories! Just talking to that dude on the phone is always complete comedy. He is a very cool guy. Anytime he comes through town, Supreme and I meet up with him and he proceeds to show us ALL kinds of crazy records and play us all kinds of raer joints off of CDRs. Unreleased Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh 80s songs like woah! Marcell Hall is that dude.

The first time I talked to Biz on the phone it just happened to be april fools day and dude just calls out of the blue. Conversation went something to the effect of:

Ring
    T: Hello?
    B: Yo is this Thes One? (in typical Biz voice)
    T: Huh? Who the f** is this?
    B: It's Biz man?!!
    T: This shit aint funny, who is this?
    B: It's the emmeza emmeza!
    T: For real, naw man haha april fools.
    B: No Thes it's the (beatboxing now) buf uh one two, I'd like to introduce myself..
    T: oh my god....
    B: Yah man! I love ya rekkid!!!

Dude is like that.
    BTW I bet Ice T got a dope hip hop collection in LA.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Exactly! This dude calls me out of the blue and all he says when I answered "You don't have no records" in typical biz voice. Same shit I'm like who the fuck is this? "It's Biz". I already know what you went through duke.

• Aww! That's pretty funny actually. But f-ed up! I got way more hair in the pits than that.

• theres a guy in northern va called sureshotlarock who my #1 shitstain, tdawg tells me has massive amounts of heavy duty hip hop records...doubles and triples even. i think he may lurk on here. he used to be active on vinylexchange.

BTW Cas, where does he live in northern VA? Since I live there/here I'd like to know if he's in my neighborhood

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    pm comin' atcha.

• Jazzy Jay and Teddy Ted have deep old school crates.

I'd be very interested to take a look at Marley Marl's collection. Anyone know about it?

• Jazzy Jay and Teddy Ted have deep old school crates.

I'd be very interested to take a look at Marley Marl's collection. Anyone know about it?

I hit up Marley's crib back in the day to record a promo for his "Future Flavas" show w/ Pete Rock... The thing I remember most (other than some big ass dude yelling "QUEENS BRIDGE MOTHER FUCKER" in the other studio) was records sitting in stacks along the walls of his garage... Just piles all cockeyed and buckled over and whatever... Gold and platinum packs were handled with equal disregard...

And somehow he was able to fit his white BMW between it all...

• Kevin Beachum AKA Nikoless Skratch of Rhymesayers is holdin down the Midwest, He has about Ten Thousand Hip Hop Records. Also Freddy Fresh got shit on lock.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    yeah. i have a couple of kevin beahum's old mix cd's from his radio show or something and he played a ton of shit i've never heard. didn't he do the time travel video comps too? i gotta get vol two.

1st place i heard the premier chi ali remix.

• Yeah he did do those time travel video comps, that was also the name of thier weekly Hip Hop radio show in Chicago.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Jeffrey Weiss...A&R guy from Warner, currently at Hollywood Records (I think)

dude supposedly has every commercial rap release ever. EVER!

I used to work there (Hollywood) and I heard the stories from his assistant. dude supposedly has close to a million records total. He keeps them in a warehouse.

• yeap, I was gonna say, Kev Beacham holds it down in the midwest, along with DJ Top Speed in Indianapolis.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Quality (not necessarily quantity) wise, I'd suggest the following names to have interesting and pretty unique hip-hop collections:
    DJ Ivory, Sureshot, Rare Dave, Juliano (The Creators), DJ Format, Rob from TSL, Shadow (obviously), Kohji, Mark B... and a few others.

I'd like to see a label/cover scans thread of some hip-hop uber heat from the Soulstrutters at some point... that'd be pretty educational, I reckon.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i wish i could spend money like this dude on records

who is that guy anyways? seems like he would have a killer hiphop collection...

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Yeah if we're talking about London people, Westwood is supposed to have an ill collection... Johnny F (Liberty Grooves) had a mad collection too, by all accounts. All I remember of Liberty Grooves is going down to Tooting and hoping to catch a 'Juvenile Hell' promo or something on the racks, to no avail. Those adverts in 'Hip Hop Connection' magazine had me drooling...

Dave VJ/Max LX (ex Kiss DJs) were supposed to have some amazing stuff too. Dave Pearce too, from his GLR days.

I'm probably alienating myself from 95% of the people on here, so I'll be quiet now.

• i wish i could spend money like this dude on records

t_belmont IS NOT TO BE F**KED WITH.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    i wish i could spend money like this dude on records

t_belmont IS NOT TO BE F**KED WITH.

Buddy has loot...he's outbid me on some shit. He's like the hip hop marco funk.

h