speaking of PE - I love this photo!

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
really

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    wheres the ShirtStrut folls at? i need one of those minor threat joints NOW

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    flavor flav in a minor threat shirt...thats all u can say, its expected of chuck d, i guess he had an extra, i love that visor style on the hat

• i love that visor style on the hat

i'm saying. mucho style points for that

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    i love that visor style on the hat

i'm saying. mucho style points for that

Oh yeah.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yo are those painters caps? I remember when those and the bicycle one's were a different style and fashonn.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I forgot about that pic! Where did that originally appear anyway? I wonder if Chuck ever commented on "Guilty of Being White".

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I forgot about that pic! Where did that originally appear anyway? I wonder if Chuck ever commented on "Guilty of Being White".

glenn e. friedman photo. he had the shirts sitting around his studio. i don't think PE actually knew who they were.

didn't chuck d say something like public enemy was supposed to be somewhat of a mixture of the clash and run dmc or something? i know he knew about punk...

didn't chuck d say something like public enemy was supposed to be somewhat of a mixture of the clash and run dmc or something? i know he knew about punk...

big difference between knowing about the clash and knowing about minor threat... my mom knows who the clash are...

true but if ice t had jello biafra on his record, u never know...then again ice t is crazy, i remeber when he hosted rap city in toronto and the guy played slayer! i was on the floor, that was hilarious...it was the first track of the show, he just did some intro like "i know yall want me to play some rap, but these are my n**" and be plays slayer reign in blood or something...nuts, sorry for going off tangent

• i saw something on tv a long time ago with various people talkign about punk rock and chuck d was one of them. Cant remember what it was for the life of me though.

• I forgot about that pic! Where did that originally appear anyway? I wonder if Chuck ever commented on "Guilty of Being White".

glenn e. friedman photo. he had the shirts sitting around his studio. i don't think PE actually knew who they were.

i think chuck d knew who they were. at least according to this feature on southern.com

Stills in Fuck You Heroes of D.C.'s Junkyard Band and a Rahway State Prison lifer show Friedman's documentary skills translate equally well to deeper subjects.
    Friedman is in awe of the loudest loud young mouths of the last fifteen years. He respects their impact immensely, and he's committed to passing the inspiration around. When Chuck D. and Favor Flav were wee rap challengers defending Public Enemy's first album on late-nite MTV, they sported a pair of Minor Threat T-shirts Friedman had given them, impressed by the band's militancy and drugless lifestyle.[/b] The photographer also claims to have handed piles of hardcore records over to Ice-T years before Body Count, and pointed PE's Terminator X to the Suicidal Tendencies scratches that turned up on Yo! Bum Rush The Show.

i think chuck d knew who they were. at least according to this feature on southern.com

Stills in Fuck You Heroes of D.C.'s Junkyard Band and a Rahway State Prison lifer show Friedman's documentary skills translate equally well to deeper subjects.
    Friedman is in awe of the loudest loud young mouths of the last fifteen years. He respects their impact immensely, and he's committed to passing the inspiration around. When Chuck D. and Favor Flav were wee rap challengers defending Public Enemy's first album on late-nite MTV, they sported a pair of Minor Threat T-shirts [i]Friedman had given them, impressed by the band's militancy and drugless lifestyle.
    [/b] The photographer also claims to have handed piles of hardcore records over to Ice-T years before Body Count, and pointed PE's Terminator X to the Suicidal Tendencies scratches that turned up on Yo! Bum Rush The Show.[/i]

yeah, it sounds like Glenn E. Friedman gave them the shirts b/c he thought they had a similar vibe, not that PE were fans. i'll have to go dig out "Fuck You Heros", but i am fairly certain the caption for that photo in the book said that PE were in his studio for a photo shoot and there were some minor threat t-shirts there and they thought they looked cool (the image of the "black sheep" being a "minor threat"), not that they were fans of the band before seeing the shirts. You have to remember that in the early 80's, hardcore was a tiny niche market, selling 10,000 copies of a record was big time. before the internet and stuff, unless you were really involved in that subculture, you didn't know about it (tho maybe rick rubin, formerly of Hose and the Pricks, gave chuck some punk records???)

• ok i can see that. i have no problems with fabrications like this, it's still a dope photo even if they didn't know who minor threat were prior to friedman hooking them up with tees.

ok i can see that. i have no problems with fabrications like this, it's still a dope photo even if they didn't know who minor threat were prior to friedman hooking them up with tees.

yeah, for sure... funnily enuff when i read the headline for this topic, i knew it would be that photo! cultural cross polination= dope

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I never could get into hardcore.

Not sure if it was the no drugs thing, or the screaming.

I had a good friend ed though who used to put on a ton of harcore shows in atlanta.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    It's a little cooler than KRS's shout out to Sick of It All on "Blood, Sweat and No Tears" and it's waaaaay cooler that KRS rapping on that R.E.M. joint.

I never could get into hardcore.

Not sure if it was the no drugs thing, or the screaming.

(psssst, no one really believed that shit...)

• speaking of REM that reminds me, anyone ever heard the archie bell and the drells tighten up cover they allegedly did? Looking for MP3 now.......