good songs on impulse

olden_style_hatsolden_style_hats 11 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
hey yall. its your favorite herb super producer.i asked yall for some advice for this remix project I did for verve couplw months back,... and yall had really good ideas but they were too original and I forgot that these projects are usually corny and I ended up doing the only left cause i was so late to be asked to do it.it turned out good and its only on the japanese release of the verve remixed jawn. (walter wanderly's popcorn)anyway, they tying to get at me to do one for impulse too. so im early on this and I wanted to choose one that was interesting - as far as sounds or something that you guys would be feeling like playing out, but it isnt really like that yet ... tom scott - today comes to mind but I doubt that would be available cause impulse doesnt own it and they gay.but if you have any ideas that wouldnt be so obvious. go aheador you can just diss me. either one. just make it funny.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Archie Shepp - Attica Blues
    John Coltrane - Love Supreme
    Oliver Nelson - Blues/More Blues & The Abstract Truth
    Roy Haynes - Into The Afternoon w. Roland Kirk

• Nail some of that Sun Ra "Magic City" or "Atlantis" shit or go balls out and take on "The Creator Has A Master Plan".

Be a real high powered remix hero and choose Ayler, like "Music Is The Healing Force Of The Universe" or "Universal Indians".

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Shit where to start with this shit. You got like a zillion ill Coltrane LPs (Alice and John). Some Ptah shit would be tight. Interstellar Space has got some hard as shit drumming on it. You got Marion Brown - Sweet Earth Flying has this beautiful opening organ that is all mystical that record is so ill oh man. You got a bunch of Shepp but not my favorite shit by him. But that Juju joint is on Impulse, Cry of My People as well. Does ABC/Impulse make a difference? Those Gato Barbieri in Latin America LPs are super nice. Chico Hamilton of course. Dude it's so hot in my apartment I'm straight dying my brain can't do this shit my records are so far away. Shit uhh oh shit Ayler Love Cry and you can do some shit with Milford Graves' drums

There is a dude I see around at free jazz shows with an Impulse tattoo shit is serious

• Oh shit - something offa Howard Robert's "Antelope Freeway", but like, Philly style, you know.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Alice Coltrane "A Love Supreme"

Pharoah Sanders "Love Is Everywhere"

Impulse Discography

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Clifford Coulter, too

• hyderNZhyderNZ 57 Posts
    hi-
    I think you should remix a song on impulse that has personal significance for you.

it will come across better on the remix cd/lp if you chose a song that means something to you because you'll actually enjoy making the track. If you don't have one, just leave it alone.

the biggest reason why most jazz remix albums are corny is because there are too many unknowledgeable remix artists chosen in the first place. Also, what can you possibly do to make a 60's avant/free jazz piece better on a computer? Cut up the drums and loop a muted trumpet riff? Please no.

i just don't understand why Impulse would want to do a remix album anyway. The last thing they should want is to water down their catalogue.

If you want to do something significant, tell Impulse records that they should hold off from doing a remix project all together. At least that way the original songs will keep their integrity and Impulse will stand out in the market for NOT doing a corny remix project.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    cover a song from side b of pneuma

or errrr alice? cover an alice coltrane song?
    and get joanna newsom on the track?

michael whites magical music company for drums?

theres really a lot of options. i wouldn't really know what to do. Id ask for reels of alice playing by herself and listen to them in a park. fuck the remix

pharoah was my introduction to impulse so id have to be nerdy and do an ode to him. tauhid basslines with the golden lamp tabla shit

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Yusef Lateef "Sister Mamie" from Live At Pep's
    Max Roach "Garvey's Ghost" from Percussion Bitter Sweet

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i just don't understand why Impulse would want to do a remix album anyway. The last thing they should want is to water down their catalogue.
    $$$$

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    what's up willard

Buddy Montgomery - This Rather Than That

erotic

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    hi-

I think you should remix a song on impulse that has personal significance for you.

it will come across better on the remix cd/lp if you chose a song that means something to you because you'll actually enjoy making the track. If you don't have one, just leave it alone.

the biggest reason why most jazz remix albums are corny is because there are too many unknowledgeable remix artists chosen in the first place. Also, what can you possibly do to make a 60's avant/free jazz piece better on a computer? Cut up the drums and loop a muted trumpet riff? Please no.

If you want to do something significant, tell Impulse records that they should hold off from doing a remix project all together. At least that way the original songs will keep their integrity and Impulse will stand out in the market for NOT doing a corny remix project.

dude are you serious???

Impulse does not exist anymore in the format you imagined it to be. Please throw these romantic notions out the window and focus on the realitly of today. Creed Taylor ain't sitting in the office drawing up plans for a remix album, it's a corporate decision. Either you like it or not music is about commerce. I personally don't mind these remix projects, albeit I do agree most of the tracks end up being a waste of time. That doesn't mean they're not beneficial for the original music itself. The 21 yr old hipster girl who's into RJD2 and dip-ro gets hipped to Impulse, perhaps broadening her musical horizons. That's a good thing no? Generally speaking, these releases are accompanied by a 2nd cd with original versions, often at a lowered price.

Secondly, so what if they're unknowledgable? An untrained perspective might breath new life into a song. I don't expect a producer to have an intimate knowledge of session info or whether he sampled the og RVG mono pressing. That's just bringing unnecessary beat digging snobbery into it. These people aren't taking this as a piss in the wind either just because they lack "your" knowledge. They're probably curious and genuinely interested in discovering the Impulse catalogue. Lack of knowledge does not equate ignorance, you have to give people a chance to learn.

Slighty more on topic.......I think the best remix I've heard so far in this grouping is the Mark de-Clive Lowe rework of Shirley Horn's "Return to Paradise". It fits the description of the topic at hand, breathing new life into a track and making it danceable.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    hey yall. its your favorite herb super producer.
    i asked yall for some advice for this remix project I did for verve couplw months back,... and yall had really good ideas but they were too original and I forgot that these projects are usually corny and I ended up doing the only left cause i was so late to be asked to do it.
    it turned out good and its only on the japanese release of the verve remixed jawn.
    (walter wanderly's popcorn)

I'll have to check it out.

If no one else has done it, how about Pharoah Sanders' "The Creator Has A Master Plan"?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    i asked yall for some advice for this remix project I did for verve couplw months back,... and yall had really good ideas but they were too original and I forgot that these projects are usually corny and I ended up doing the only left cause i was so late to be asked to do it.
    it turned out good and its only on the japanese release of the verve remixed jawn.

If no one else has done it, how about Pharoah Sanders' "The Creator Has A Master Plan"?

That could be dope if done right and would be right up dip-ro's alleyhole

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Killa, you're my pseudo-bol and all but that's a piece of music that people eventually formed a religon (Church of John Coltrane in SF). Not for nothing that's almost sacreligious for any producer dude to even touch.

• i think imma do Journey in Satchidananda. watch me try and make this a club banger.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Killa, you're my pseudo-bol and all but that's a piece of music that people eventually formed a religon (Church of John Coltrane in SF). Not for nothing that's almost sacreligious for any producer dude to even touch.

tell it do Das Efx and those "What's a Bro to Do?" dudes

Alice is a good look for the skipper tho

What's good [email]P@trock?[/email]

Absolute & OJ para mi

• hey yall. its your favorite herb super producer.

already been 'touched'

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

tell it do Das Efx and those "What's a Bro to Do?" dudes

Alice is a good look for the skipper tho

What's good [email]P@trock?[/email]

Absolute & OJ para mi

I'm at Kero's laying down a beat...I swear we need 8 outs on the mpc. Solo-ing every track and fucking letting the entire song play 09284093 times is .

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Yusef Lateef "Sister Mamie"

this is a good one

as well as several songs from
    Gabor Szabo: Jazz Raga

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

anyway, they tying to get at me to do one for impulse too. so im early on this and I wanted to choose one that was interesting - as far as sounds or something that you guys would be feeling like playing out, but it isnt really like that yet ...

tom scott - today comes to mind but I doubt that would be available cause impulse doesnt own it and they gay.

but if you have any ideas that wouldnt be so obvious. go ahead

or you can just diss me. either one. just make it funny.

Hey Fag,

I think you only have 1 option. "Creator Has a Master Plan" by Pharoah Sanders.

Seriously. Throw a "Da Back Woodz" instrumental under it and call it a day.

Do this and you will be on the cover of the next issue of Tiger Beat without a doubt.

Imagine all the PR opps.

Next think you know you'll be on tour with Ryan Cabrerra.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    i think imma do Journey in Satchidananda. watch me try and make this a club banger.

That's a good choice, but I would prefer to hear "Stopover Bombay" from side 2. That bass/piano workout with the harp flutters...

Still, my vote is for Clifford, who could use the shine.

• hi-

dude are you serious???

Impulse does not exist anymore in the format you imagined it to be. Please throw these romantic notions out the window and focus on the realitly of today. Creed Taylor ain't sitting in the office drawing up plans for a remix album, it's a corporate decision. Either you like it or not music is about commerce. I personally don't mind these remix projects, albeit I do agree most of the tracks end up being a waste of time. That doesn't mean they're not beneficial for the original music itself. The 21 yr old hipster girl who's into RJD2 and dip-ro gets hipped to Impulse, perhaps broadening her musical horizons. That's a good thing no? Generally speaking, these releases are accompanied by a 2nd cd with original versions, often at a lowered price.

Secondly, so what if they're unknowledgable? An untrained perspective might breath new life into a song. I don't expect a producer to have an intimate knowledge of session info or whether he sampled the og RVG mono pressing. That's just bringing unnecessary beat digging snobbery into it. These people aren't taking this as a piss in the wind either just because they lack "your" knowledge. They're probably curious and genuinely interested in discovering the Impulse catalogue. Lack of knowledge does not equate ignorance, you have to give people a chance to learn.

I can see hyderNZ's perspective. There's nothing I want less than to hear a "beat digger" take on pharaoh sanders' "black unity". Sanders has been covered a lot (then as well as now) and I'm not sure what a new perspective could bring.

For all the ways musicians want to tie the two together, jazz and hip-hop are totally different beasts. It's difficult to take what's good about a 20-minute jazz song, or coltrane "love supreme" - bristling, glowing, neverending sax improvisation, and translate that, confine it, into a hip-hop beat or mash-up. Almost all jazz remix projects and collaborations to date have been wack: jazzmatazz, madlib doing blue note (minus the first track, I think it was), and that miles davis remix project.

Maybe an Impulse remix project on the "spiritual" side of things by No Neck Blues Band or Fennesz WOULD be a good stylistic match. A group or person able to use the wildness of jazz in an unusual way.

But, on the other hand, nothing against diplo. He's got that connection to do something wild like this, it's a great opportunity, run with it to the bank. Maybe he'll come back with an amazing remix, like a bangin club mix of a Mel Brown track, and all the indy kids will be rocking "blues & the abstract truth" on their ipods.

actually, YEAH[/b]... that's my vote. go into the impulse office and say

img src="http://www.ineer.org/ISCMeet/2004-07-06-030.jpg"height= 396" "width=500"[/img]

"gentlemen, I'm thinking a mel brown remix would be fresh. perrier breaks for days, nawmeen??!@"[/b]

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i didnt really read through the entire thread, but mel brown is a good look.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

But the passages leading to and from the main part of the song is perfect for manipulating.

Wes, if you want something out of the ordinary, get something from Mel Brown's Chicken Fat[/b], Sam Waters' Crystals[/b], Clark Terry & Chico O'Farrill's Spanish Rice[/b], Charlie Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra[/b], or go against the grain as I would and use something from Michael Brecker's albums that he did for Impulse in the 90's, and give it the old Impulse sound. His Tales From The Hudson[/b] album features Pat Metheny, Jack DeJohnette, Dave Holland, and McCoy Tyner. Two Blocks From The Edge[/b] has "Delta City Blues", and that's open for possibilities. Too bad these two don't have the drumming of Ben Perowski, whom played with Brecker when I saw him in 1988. Perowski's beats alone are ready-made for fucking up.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    i just don't understand why Impulse would want to do a remix album anyway.

Second time's the charm?

W*s: Definitely peep this CD (and the companion CD that came with it) before you end up remixing something that's been done before.

As for song choices, I'm with Paycheck: "Attica Blues" could be a dope choice 'cos it's already funky but it's loose & raw enough that a remix could give it a nice boost.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    So much good stuff on Impulse,... a kool album (that screams sample me) is Michael White's 1974 release Go With the Flow with a track In the Silence, super nice cut with upright wah wah bass breakdowns and with a movie like theme, the track ends with some real dope open kalimba and african vocals... This LP has a sweet electric groove throughout most of the tracks... Anyway, you all probably know this record, I just wanted to try this out... (my first post!).
    Peace-

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    i think imma do Journey in Satchidananda. watch me try and make this a club banger.

no offense at all, but please don't.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    As for song choices, I'm with Paycheck: "Attica Blues" could be a dope choice 'cos it's already funky but it's loose & raw enough that a remix could give it a nice boost.

cosign. one of my favorite DJing memories is DJing an art opening that got outta control and went on til 5AM and there were hot chicks who took off their pants and skirts and danced in their panties to that song...why does shit like this only happen when you have a girlfriend?