David Blaine: DISCUSS

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central

I'm stuck on TLC watching people's when he gives them the blank stare after a trick.

What kinda sh*t?

I need to make some sense of this...

Mystical foll or meaningless fraud?

DISCUSS

Comments

• Options
    I know he has a few of my girl friends under his spell.

K.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    David is pretty wicked.

What abour Criss Angel? He's pretty crazy also..
    Anyone see the one where he walks down a building?

• David Blaine is much more than a magician. He's a scholar, a visionary, a leader.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    His tricks are dope, his stare is just part of his schtick, trying to be all "spooky" and shit.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Mystical foll or hustler[/b]?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    David Blaine is much more than a magician. He's a scholar, a visionary, a leader.

He is so icey...

Criss Angel Mindfreak is on tonight on A&E at 10PM.
    It's the one where he walks down the building.

I don't get how David reads peoples mind tho. I've always like the one where he helps the guy win the lotto.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    HAHAHA, Blaine just turned this homeless fellow's cup of coffee into a cup full of change and the guy holds his hands out to him and starts crooning,

"There's a spaaark of magic in your eyes..."

Bet you didn't think this would get record related, did you?

• I believe theres more than a few websites claiming/proving he's a fraud..you might want to check those out. As mentioned above..i'll go with "hustler"

$$$

and that mindfreak dude is past corny

I believe theres more than a few websites claiming/proving he's a fraud..you might want to check those out. As mentioned above..i'll go with "hustler"

$$$

I agree he's corny. But I still don't know how he does any of that shit.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I believe theres more than a few websites claiming/proving he's a fraud..you might want to check those out. As mentioned above..i'll go with "hustler"

$$$

He's really good and also a goof. Not shure how he's a "fraud". Plenty of magicians act they they have "powers" when it's really just a "trick". People liked to be tricked, it's just good fun. Calling this guy a fraud is like calling wrestlers a fraud. Waste of time, it's just entertainment.

It's like when David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty dissaper. Everyone and thier dog new he wasn't really going to make it go away, but people still tuned in to see the trick.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    even white folls on you got served can pull off that 'levitation' trick...

• Anyone seen that "Street Magic" dvd?

Beyond belief. The guy just levitated in the middle of a sidewalk during the daytime and shit lol

• Anyone seen that "Street Magic" dvd?

Beyond belief. The guy just levitated in the middle of a sidewalk during the daytime and shit lol

yeah, you can find some site(s) on the web explaining that trick...

too bad I forgot all the details

and..about calling dude a "fraud"..you are right, I shouldnt say that. I should just say people shouldnt believe these dudes have anykind of super powers..there is an explanation for it all.

His tricks are dope, his stare is just part of his schtick, trying to be all "spooky" and shit.

I wouldn't be suprised if it's also a way he keeps you distracted. His stare keeps you loooking back to his face and that split second is all he needs to do his slight of hand.

But ultimatly your right about it being his spooky schtick. Magicians have had to take a new twist because people were getting board with the old rabit out of a hat bit. Plus, I bet Penn and Teller had a little to do with this as they exposed a lot of trade secrets. I think it was good caused it forced magicians to re-invent themselves.

• I believe theres more than a few websites claiming/proving he's a fraud..you might want to check those out. As mentioned above..i'll go with "hustler"

$$$

Calling this guy a fraud is like calling wrestlers a fraud. Waste of time, it's just entertainment.
    Calling Blaine a fraud is admitting a belief in real magic, which, to me, is more bizarre than anything Blaine has done.

And call me cynical but I wouldn't believe anything I saw on television regardless of how it was presented to me.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

$$$

Calling this guy a fraud is like calling wrestlers a fraud. Waste of time, it's just entertainment.

Calling Blaine a fraud is admitting a belief in real magic, which, to me, is more bizarre than anything Blaine has done.

And call me cynical but I wouldn't believe anything I saw on television regardless of how it was presented to me.

Nah, people call him a fraud because the TV specials are edited. The levitation trick is much more subtle and unimpressive in real life, but they edit in a much more impressive levitation using wires, then they show the audience reaction from the original trick.

Hell, I can do the actual levitation trick.

$$$

Calling Blaine a fraud is admitting a belief in
    real magic, which, to me, is more bizarre than anything Blaine has done.

Man I never even thought of it that way. So you think some of these people actual believe in magic? I just thought they were completly dissmissing any type of magic.

Now that's the wizzard rock thread I want to see.

"Blaine is a fraud, he can't beat my ability to manifest a tree spirit hottie who will do my bidding!"

• they edit in a much more impressive levitation using wires, then they show the audience reaction from the original trick.
    Well, yeah, IT'S TELEVISON. I say the editing is an extension of the trick 'cause it tricks fools.

they edit in a much more impressive levitation using wires, then they show the audience reaction from the original trick.
    Well, yeah, IT'S TELEVISON. I say the editing is an extension of the trick
    'cause it tricks fools.

But it's the type of trick that requires no talent or effort on the part of Blaine, making the fraud claim plausable.

• they edit in a much more impressive levitation using wires, then they show the audience reaction from the original trick.
    Well, yeah, IT'S TELEVISON. I say the editing is an extension of the trick
    'cause it tricks fools.

But it's the type of trick that requires no talent or effort on the part of Blaine, making the fraud claim plausable.
    True. A fraud in the area of levitation. Not necessarily a no talent fraud through and through.

• The guy has sleight of hand skillz. And so what if something takes no talent? If he pulls it off, however done, the end result is the same. That's like saying Stephen King is no talent because I can write the same words he can. The end result is the same; I'm entertained.

That's like saying Stephen King is no talent because I can write the same words he can.

No, it's not the same. It'd be like Stephen King's editor writing an extra chapter for him and letting him take the credit for it. Yes, you're still entertained, and he's still a fraud.

I honestly don't care enough about David Blaine to call him a fraud, I'm just pointing out why others might. I do care about your inability to make a good analogy, though. It offends me.

Listen, all we're talking about here right now is his magic tricks.

But what about shit like this?
    IMG SRC="http://www.wirednewyork.com/times_square/images/times_square_david_blaine_28nov00.jpg" width=350>

And the one where he stood still on a poll that was probably less than 3 ft. wide at least 10 ft. in the air for 36+ hours straight?

http://www.bobfromaccounting.com/bunsen/blaine.jpg" alt="" />
    Uhh...and whatever he did to make himself look like this..?

I never thought anybody would surpass Kanye in terms of doing anything for attention, but I think we've found a new poster boy.

• That's like saying Stephen King is no talent because I can write the same words he can.

No, it's not the same. It'd be like Stephen King's editor writing an extra chapter for him and letting him take the credit for it. Yes, you're still entertained, and he's still a fraud.

I honestly don't care enough about David Blaine to call him a fraud, I'm just pointing out why others might. I do care about your inability to make a good analogy, though. It offends me.

No, you're talking about TV editing, I'm talking about trick simplicity.

• Uhh...and whatever he did to make himself look like this..?

He looks fairly normal to me. I don't think he has supernatual powers.

• The guy has sleight of hand skillz. And so what if something takes no talent? If he pulls it off, however done, the end result is the same. That's like saying Stephen King is no talent because I can write the same words he can. The end result is the same; I'm entertained.
    But you currently can't write the same words that Stephen King can because his vocabulary far exceeds yours.

Uhh...and whatever he did to make himself look like this..?

He looks fairly normal to me. I don't think he has supernatual powers.

That was a joke, man.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Hes a very clever performance artist.

Ive never seen the bbc special, but ive heard people talk about when he put himself in that glass box for days and days and days, and they said it was very impressive.

Ive seen people do that levitating trick alot. But it still looks cool, and i think he was the first to do it.