ENCORE - SELF PRESERVATION - appreciation post!

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
When I was working for 75ark, this album came out and I would bump this shit constantly while everyone else in the office was listening to deltron 3030, etc. I'm **still** bumpin' this shit!! cuz to this day, I still think this album is MAD MAD slept on... the beats and everything just fits so well (no homo)... lots of great chops on there. i found the samples to a couple of beats and it made my

anyone even get what I'm talkin' about here!?!?... Encore & Architect were like the west coast premier & guru...

peace.

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    .084 was my jam

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, good album no doubt.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    yes

• cosign. This album was bananas... too bad his follow up efforts were ehh.

Actually anyone have the track he did about drug smuggling/columbia? I never knew the name of it and only had it on a pause tape that was given to me... The beat was bananas and his rhymes were uts on it too...

If someone has it and the MP3, it would be much appreciated.

• i bumped that shit contstantly when it came out... wish i still has a copy.

Encore was dope, though he didnt stannd out very much. His Flow/Voice made you focus more on theproduction side of things(i have enough trouble focusing on lyrics even with my fave. mcs). Not a slight on his as a rapper, or against the album though. Shit was dope. Some of the piano loops on there are

Actually anyone have the track he did about drug smuggling/columbia? I never knew the name of it and only had it on a pause tape that was given to me... The beat was bananas and his rhymes were uts on it too...

Matt:

It's on the b-side of Rasco's Run The Line (I'm not sure if it's on the Lord Finesse/Mark the 45 King version or the regular version).

I've been meaning to check out Encore's "layover" since Vitamin D & Jake One did the beats. I really think he's a real dope rapper. Mad decent flow and voice.

I remeber him doing a 12'' with D-Tension called "Ode to Breaking Atoms".FUCKING SICKEST SHIT EVER!

Matt:

It's on the b-side of Rasco's Run The Line (I'm not sure if it's on the Lord Finesse/Mark the 45 King version or the regular version).

I've been meaning to check out Encore's "layover" since Vitamin D & Jake One did the beats. I really think he's a real dope rapper. Mad decent flow and voice.

I remeber him doing a 12'' with D-Tension called "Ode to Breaking Atoms".FUCKING SICKEST SHIT EVER!

you know the title of it by chance? this post made me remember I was looking for it...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I tried so hard to get into this. I saw dude live and he put on a great show. So i copped the Lp. I must have listened to that thing 100 times. I just couldnt get into it. Boring

• Yeah, SELF PRESERVATION is a dope albulm. Something I like to rock to every now and then.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    yeah, I need to hunt out an old copy on cd.

Something was wrong with the 75 ark promotion (probably why they are gone). I must've bought 5 promo copies of this cd in dollar bins right when it came out and just gave them to people.

• Actually anyone have the track he did about drug smuggling/columbia? I never knew the name of it and only had it on a pause tape that was given to me... The beat was bananas and his rhymes were uts on it too...

Matt:

you know the title of it by chance? this post made me remember I was looking for it...

It's called "The Undercover." I can post an mp3 if need be.

I never got into Self Preservation but I think Encore is dope as fuck. I really liked the single he had with Evidence, "Filthy."

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Matt:

It's called "The Undercover." I can post an mp3 if need be.

I never got into Self Preservation but I think Encore is dope as fuck. I really liked the single he had with Evidence, "Filthy."

I remember this album being really bland. I'm going to dig it out now & I hope its really good. I'd like to hear a new lp to get amped over.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

this shit's no joke either...

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea actually I didn't mind LayOver either. its not bad.

• this shit's no joke either...

Its a good album but if people didn't like "Like Water For Choclate" they won't like it at all. This is Kufi rap batch! Core is actually one of the few rappers who I am good friends with outside of rap.

Its a good album but if people didn't like "Like Water For Choclate" they won't like it at all. This is Kufi rap batch! Core is actually one of the few rappers who I am good friends with outside of rap.

I was just played "Real Talk" on Sunday night. It always evokes dudes to peak over the tables and go "What's this?".

I was just played "Real Talk" on Sunday night. It always evokes dudes to peak over the tables and go "What's this?".

The video for that song is the definition of Dope ass beat though. Crazy how he used all those different records and made em blend.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Some of the piano loops on there are

Yeah man, I thought one of those was a loop too, but it was actually a chop with 3 different parts laced together... very smooth where's Kenny @. I forget the record. It a $1 bin common jazz joint...

peace.

• anyone even get what I'm talkin' about here!?!?... Encore & Architect were like the west coast premier & guru...

peace.

Word.

I don't know much about Encore, but Architect (G-Luv) is a dope producer, real solid dude too.

I aint seen homeboy in years but his beats are still nice.

And yo, I have to agree, dude is/was like a Bay Area Primo on the beats, no joke.

Dudes got his own style & his shit has flavor.

I aint really kept up with all the new music in recent years, but most the beats/records by dude I've happened to stumble on were pretty fuggin' good.

Bay Area represent, dude deserves his propers.

Back in like 90 or 91 (or 92?), we were in the same MIDI class at a local JC & we'd always break out to go listen to beats in the parking lot.

Every week we'd be bringin' new samples & shit to bug out to in the parkin' lot.

ahhhhhhh, the old days...

PS: I flunked that MIDI class too. Go figure.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    .084 was my jam
    .084 was my jam
    .084 was my jam
    .084 was my jam
    .084 was my jam
    .084 was my jam
    .084 was my jam
    .084 was my jam

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Encore and Pep Love should team up for an album

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

I forget the record. It a $1 bin common jazz joint...

you mean the Dan Siegel ?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

I forget the record. It a $1 bin common jazz joint...

you mean the Dan Siegel ?

yeah that shit was ill, i remember the day you spotted that shit at the record fair WAYYY BACK dude... hahaha you were amped!

I accidently gave DJ YODA my test pressing show vinyl of the instrumentals for that album when he rolled through the office. I'm gunna hit him up and try get it back...

peace.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    that other 75 Ark comp sucked though.

the later one with Exec Lounge

well some were ok...but eh