Flat screen monitors... what's the word?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Seriously. I am gambling with my life hereI want to spend $200. I was told not to deal with anything except Viewsonic and NEC. REP YO FLATSCREEN LCD MONITOR

Comments

• Seriously. I am gambling with my life here

I want to spend $200. I was told not to deal with anything except Viewsonic and NEC.

REP YO FLATSCREEN LCD MONITOR

PHATT.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    The Apple monitor might be out of the stated price range, but it's been worth every penny!

niceness...

• Do you mean flat screen tube monitors? Or flat screen like LCD? For $200 I can only assume tube.

A lot of places are clearing the tube monitors out, I got both a Compaq and a Sony for under $100 and they've both been good.

• I mean LCD. I don't have room for a tube.

• We buy viewsonic and Dell exclusively (I work in IT and do a lot of purchasing). No problems whatsoever (which is more than I can say for Sony...cough, cough...)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I mean LCD. I don't have room for a tube.

NEC 4 Life right here... LCDs are coming down in price too. $200, though!!???

I am seeing some for under that, but I assume they are fly by night companies

How big a screen are you looking for? CDW has a bunch of 17", various brands in the $250 range...

How big a screen are you looking for? CDW has a bunch of 17", various brands in the $250 range...

even better, I would like 15". I wouldn't be mad at 17" though.... but space is at a premium.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

even better, I would like 15". I wouldn't be mad at 17" though.... but space is at a premium.

i live by ViewSonic, but it will be hard to score any flat panel steez under 200 bones going with a namebrand. ive seen plenty of "off brands" going for 150 for 15 inchers (no ayo). check sundays newspaper ads this weekend, if you want to pick one up on the quick, if not CDW, tigerdirect, newegg are online places to check out.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I just bought a super nice Hyundai with a 700:1 contrast ratio and a 8 ms response time for $229 at Fryes.

- spidey

• Seriously. I am gambling with my life here

I want to spend $200. I was told not to deal with anything except Viewsonic and NEC.

REP YO FLATSCREEN LCD MONITOR

Check it - got a 17" LCD for $180 (after $20 rebate) at the Circuit City in Union Square about a month and a half ago. It was definitely an off-brand, but they told me that it's cheaper just becuase they don't advertise, and the quality is no worse than the other brands (I know, "they told me", but it's been great every day since then, and no dead pixels). The brand was Starlogic. Head down there, it's worth a shot.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    At my work we have been using Viewsonic and Samsung. I'm happy with both. I have a 19" Viewsonic LCD in the office and 2 Samsung 19" at home. I think finding a decent 17" for $200 is going to be tough though.

You might try this one
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=686451

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

yup, there's been a glut and hence the price drops

you should be able to get a nice one for under $200 these days

I think I paid $250 earlier this year, don't remember the model though. My parents bought a DELL (just the LCD) and it looks great.

psst: http://www.fatwallet.com/c/18/

(soulstrut of bargain shopping/tech deals)

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i got two 19" samsungs over here.

working for me, and they weren't that much, from what i can remember.