Patch Bays. Hot or not?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I used to have two patchbays... lord knows why... i only have 28 outs total in my current set-up... I just rewired and got rid of one... now everything's patched through but I can't really see why... I have a 24x8 board with individual outs on every channel, don't know why I need to route them through a patch bay... I can manually plug or unplug on the board if I need to use all 24 outs of my sound modules and samplers or if I need to run turntables and playback... (24+2+2=28)This feels crazy outdated. What's the scoop on them computer patchbays? Shit looks saucy. How can I be down?

Comments

• TT patchbay or direct.
    1/4 cables and cheap patchbays = asking for problems

• I want one of them patchbays that pop up on my computer screen... what is good with that?

• Haha.. what timing, you dudes are somethin else...
    I'm makin' cables & wiring up a CMLabs PM-216 right now.

http://www.cmlabs.net/pm216.html

(hoping it doesn't affect my signal though, this is 1st I've tried one).
    This should let me save & automate most all my patches.
    And, I can control it with my MotorMix - ill.

You don't "have" to have a Patchbay in your setup, but if implemented correctly, it's going to give you a lot more flexibility with your i/o down the line.

Yep, 1/4" patchbays are a pain & can eventually become unreliable, I am still using 2 of them though (the Neutrik joints).
    I have all my inputs, outputs, inserts, (both analog & digital) wired to the patchbay, some nomaled/1/2 normaled, etc...
    Other patchbay holds all the rack gear.

Patch bays = Good shit.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i personally really like having patchbays. i route shit all over the place at any giving moment.

it is really dependent on your setup i guess, but i look at it like this: the less i pull connectors out of my equipment the longer it will last.

i am currently looking for a TT patchbay, but all the ones on ebay are half-normalled.