Is CunninLynguists the worst rap name ever?

13»

Comments

• downtown manueversz

Yo that sounds like some indie group. Some"golden age" o-zone.net jump-off featuring a dj spinna remix with punch and words.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    HEATMAKERZ is mad lame.

especially when Flip said "i'm makin heat with the heatmakerz."

anyways there's a dj named DJ Rare Groove.

• downtown manueversz

Yo that sounds like some indie group. Some"golden age" o-zone.net jump-off featuring a dj spinna remix with punch and words.
    HAHAHA!!

• what about MC B>BOOB/B>?

what you got against breasts, fool?

i think we're just beginning to scratch the surface here, so i might as well toss in:

fu-schnickens
    blood of abraham
    rumpletilskinz
    trendz of culture
    urban thermodynamics

and that's not only off the top, it's only NE 90s groups that were signed to majors. there's a billion worst rap names ever.

• trendz of culture

scienz of life
    souls of mischief

etc. ad nauseum...

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Giant Panda any1?

• atmosphere
    c rayz walls
    la tha darkman
    royce tha 5'9"
    the psychotic neurotics
    canibus
    labtekwon
    sir menelik aka cyclops 4000
    mad skillz AND skillz
    3 meloncholy gypsies
    2mex
    chillin villain empire / hip hop kclan / busdriver / abstract rude / ngafish / elay khule / ki-adi mundi / mace windu (free archaic)

• No

"simply 2 positive"

Is

• I've always chuckled at

Big Pooh
    &
    Peblee Poo

and there's some ladies man R&B chap who revels in the real name Elgin Lumpkin III i forget what his nom-de-disque is but it must be better at pulling the ladies

Also modrn soul fave Lambchops always raises a smile

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    A Tribe Called Quest

• Hi there.
    Long time lurker,first time poster.Or something.

Not strictly hip hop,but theres a DJ on Radio 1 in the UK called Rob Da Bank.

• Hi there.

welcome. is that the old pier in your avatar? on a side note, my girlfried wants us to move to brighton. should I go?

• 2mex

ngafish

I gotta disagree with these. 2Mex just sounds like some old ass 1986 lowrider show name-embroidered-on-cap rap name (which, by the way, is EXACTLY what it is). I gotta give props to dude for sticking with that shit from day one (although, these days dude is more like a 2MeXXXL!).

Ngafsh is of course derived from Dat N*gga Fish. I think it's a rather dope abbreviation.

Herm

• Hi there.

welcome. is that the old pier in your avatar? on a side note, my girlfried wants us to move to brighton. should I go?

Cheers.Yep,sure is.

Depends,where do you live now?
    I love it here,been here for about 10 years.
    Quite a few trendy sorts and students around,

but I dont mind that too much.
    Good hip hop scene,if you into that.

• Hi there.

Cheers.Yep,sure is.

Depends,where do you live now?
    I love it here,been here for about 10 years.
    Quite a few trendy sorts and students around,

but I dont mind that too much.
    Good hip hop scene,if you into that.

Yeah I been there enough times to know about the trendy sorts, was wonderin what it was like long term, I guess pretty good as you've been there 10 years.

I heard that although there's loads of student friendly live acts there's no decent regular club nights with dj's playing nice hip hop funk etc just nights like phonic which are cool but a bit more dancey, is this the case? I find it hard to believe....

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Gangstarr is really stupid, too.

-e

• add swollen members...name-wise and especially music-wise

they're opening for ghostface here next month... I'm pissed...

where?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    add swollen members...name-wise and especially music-wise

where?

cats cradle !!!

late oct...

• add swollen members...name-wise and especially music-wise

where?

cats cradle !!!

late oct...

Just when I think nothing good ever comes to town....

I just looked up Swolen Members on allmusic. Yikes.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    People Under the Stairs

• Cunning Linguist is a joke that goes wayyyy back. I was a "linguist" in the Army (meaning that they taught me another language, which means they sorta have the term confused). And trust me, the old "cunning linguist" joke has been around forever. Which is why I thought it was kinda funny when they named themselves that.

I was also called a REMF and Chairborne Ranger, but I guess bellcity is the only one that would get those.

• People Under the Stairs

cosign. I was going to say it if no one else did.

People Under the Stairs

cosign. I was going to say it if no one else did.

someone HAD to say it... might as well be me... im glad i beat you to the punch though.

• Pick a name in high school and get STUCK.

That movie is hilarious though and I think it actually kind of fits us now.

Pick a name in high school and get STUCK.

That movie is hilarious though and I think it actually kind of fits us now.

wait... yall didnt take your name from that SKing movie did you?

and why Thes... is that your name?

last question: were you the group that had that fucked up looking alien/underground beast on that green label? does this make sense? shit im tired...

• No we actually hadn't seen the movie when we chose the name. We felt like we were the only kids who were bumping the beatnuts in LA as hard as we were along with everything else and everyone out here was on the goodlifes jock or were on some pasadena ish, and basically everyone was getting thier little fame. We kind of laughed and were like "Looks like WE'RE the people under the stairs". I hope that makes sense.

thes is short for thesaurus, a name given to me by camp counselors at the park around 84 as they would encourage us to rap and I would try to use all these big words I couldn't get right at the time. I became the little homie thesaraus. Then shortened to thes, and then thes one because there was another "thes" who was a tagbanger with a green light on his head. (sidenote, when I wrote I wrote Cosa and not Thes)

NEVER had an alien or anything green on a label. Always had the CTI looking label for every PUTS release. Only other things you may have seen were the BLR recordings label for the Pete Rock remix I did (Please do not buy the bootlegs yall), and The Next Stets remix on Kashmire. Other than that I am a founding member of Tres Records and, short of posting my discography, thats pretty much it. I hate aliens, beasts, and most of all the term underground.

thesaurus... well thats kinda cool.

i dont know your music very well... i remember getting your stuff back in the day on some promo shit but i was leaving the biz and hated rap at that time.

...nevermind i looked

• Dizzy Bull.

• Dizzy Bull.