baltimore club sucks

Comments

• ok casualness asertained but still no info on
    what are the spots?
    come on Baltimorons where's good?

Go to Choices, Hammerjacks, or almost any after-hours hipster party if you want to play it safe.

Basically you need to find out where the club djs are playing on a given weekend, then go to that venue. As Erewhon says, Club Choices on Charles Street and Hammerjacks on Guilford Ave are two of the biggest spots...but be warned that Hammerjacks often has all-ages shows where it's money at the door (high school ID a must!) and no alcohol served. security tried to talk us *out* of going to a show there once.

not club-related, but i've heard some classic radio spots for "over 30" dj nights where they play "classic hip-hop" and then drop a grown and sexy dress code (no white tees no tims no throwbacks! gotta have collars!). what? i gotta dress up to listen to who got the props?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    am i just trippin or did Cosmo not post up a dope article on B-T-More Club being the new Dylan.

Great article Cosmo. Props.

Yeah, but I took it down after seeing MY put up the same article.

But Ill post it again. This was written by a friend of mine who I exposed Baltimore club to back in the mid/late 90s. Dude took to it like a fish to water and ended up writing this for the Village Voice.

www.cosmobaker.com/baltimore.html

Baltimore has also been a staple in the Philly scene for years. Funny cause it was big in the black gay scene, and then crossed over to black straight club scene, now it's big with white hipster scene.

• I'm feelin Chicago ghetto house way more than the Baltimore stuff though.
    The shit is just way more raw and funny. Anyone else with me?

Bald head scoochie rat
    Your hair can't touch your back
    Bald head scoochie rat
    Your hair can't touch your back
    Gel and weave it
    You really need it
    Gel and weave it
    You really need it

This track is for them player haters lyin on they dick
    Cock-blockin punks, frontin for a bitch
    If the bitch wanna fuck me, then let me do my thaaaang
    Just step the fuck back and let me fuck this bitch
    Let me baaang

Uh-oh
    Work it work it
    Uh-oh
    Work it work it
    Uh-oh
    Work it work it
    Uh-oh
    You work it

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    ok casualness asertained but still no info on
    what are the spots?
    come on Baltimorons where's good?

Go to Choices, Hammerjacks, or almost any after-hours hipster party if you want to play it safe.

Basically you need to find out where the club djs are playing on a given weekend, then go to that venue. As Erewhon says, Club Choices on Charles Street and Hammerjacks on Guilford Ave are two of the biggest spots...but be warned that Hammerjacks often has all-ages shows where it's money at the door (high school ID a must!) and no alcohol served. security tried to talk us *out* of going to a show there once.

not club-related, but i've heard some classic radio spots for "over 30" dj nights where they play "classic hip-hop" and then drop a grown and sexy dress code (no white tees no tims no throwbacks! gotta have collars!). what? i gotta dress up to listen to who got the props?

Oh! Oh! I almost forgot- there's also a really great roller rink in Towson that has "aggressive skate night" with guests like KW Griff and K-Swift. In general, I don't want to mess with angry, horny teens on skates, but the music is bumping and I'm glad it exists.

As for Baltimore dress codes, I gotta mention a now-defunct Armand Van Helmand-esque club across from where Choices is at that used to have a sign outside that read: "NO hats allowed - funky hats O.K." I swear to God.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

As for Baltimore dress codes, I gotta mention a now-defunct Armand Van Helmand-esque club across from where Choices is at that used to have a sign outside that read: "NO hats allowed - funky hats O.K." I swear to God.

In Philly I used to DJ at this spot called "Denim" that had a no jeans dress code policy.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

In Philly I used to DJ at this spot called "Denim" that had a no jeans dress code policy.

There motto was "Denim: Just one of the many things we don't want you wearing here!"

-e

• In Baltimore it's just called "club music."

In China, Chinese food is just called "food."

PS I like most Chinese food and B-More club music.

• In China, Chinese food is just called "food."

PS I like most Chinese food and B-More club music.

HI ROSS!

• NIIIIIIIICK!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    baltimore club is that real shit cos it uses breaks

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    baltimore club is that real shit cos it uses breaks

Baltimore Club is awesome for 20-30 minutes. Then it's time for the percolater.

• whats that one joint that goes

THERES SOME HOES IN THIS HOUSE THERES SOME HOES IN THIS HOUSE

that shit is ill.

B-More=100% irrelvant in the Bay. I was thinking of playing that shit out but I'm not sure if I want to be "that dude".

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it's a good genre to play out when you're sick of playing hip hop and don't want to completely alienate your crowd.

• baltimore club is that real shit cos it uses breaks

Baltimore Club is awesome for 20-30 minutes. Then it's time for the percolater.

That's mah shit!!

that shit is ill.

B-More=100% irrelvant in the Bay. I was thinking of playing that shit out but I'm not sure if I want to be "that dude".

I've played it at (H)Amnesia before for about 20 minutes and, far from being that dude, I was that dude. I bet it'd work at your Marina/Monkey Club gigs.

But all things in moderation, Young Phonics.

• Soooooooo,

it's drum and bass?

its more like early rave UK breakbeat hardcore with the way the breaks are chopped and looped. what eventually turned to d'n'b but it is at a slower tempo.

that shit is ill.

I've played it at (H)Amnesia before for about 20 minutes and, far from being that dude, I was that dude. I bet it'd work at your Marina/Monkey Club gigs.

I can hear Young Neta just "OH My God-ing" in semi-disapproval.

Keep "The Marina" and "The Monkey Club" out of your mouth, son. I was talking about my "real" gigs.

that shit is ill.

I can hear Young Neta just "OH My God-ing" in semi-disapproval.

Keep "The Marina" and "The Monkey Club" out of your mouth, son. I was talking about my "real" gigs.

Nah, she digs those records! I probably have all the B-more club joints I really need (all found on about three records), but you're right: you don't really need them here.

Although they would work at "certain gigs."

• Anybody got any suggestions for where to start on this shit? Good comps? Who does "Watch Out for the Big Girl"? "Hoes in This House"?

Thanks.

• But all things in moderation, Young Phonics.

What about the steady stream of "thumpers" at Milk, Mr Carlos Rossi?

"What's up fool, I got like 3 buck on the Rossi

Let's go get perved"

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    All I gotta say is

MOTHERFUCKING

TITTSWORTH

This topic came up this weekend with a DJ friend of mine. I'm all for B-More.

Do I have the balls (and enough of it) to play it out? I don't know, but I want get up and do some fucking jumping jacks when I hear this shit.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Anybody got any suggestions for where to start on this shit? Good comps? Who does "Watch Out for the Big Girl"? "Hoes in This House"?

Thanks.

All the Rod Lee ish, he has a comp they sell on TTLAB.

• But all things in moderation, Young Phonics.

What about the steady stream of "thumpers" at Milk, Mr Carlos Rossi?

"What's up fool, I got like 3 buck on the Rossi

Let's go get perved"

Guilty as choooarged.*

"The [H]an[s] behind the counter at the [Milk Bar] luuuuuuuh me/

He damn near ready to huuuuuug me"

*[All BALTIMORE things in moderation!]

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    All I gotta say is

MOTHERFUCKING
    TITTSWORTH
    Do I have the balls (and enough of it) to play it out? I don't know, but I want get up and do some fucking jumping jacks when I hear this shit.
    i've been playing that sardines shit out, but it's really something that has to be broken out at the right moment, and sparingly. BMore always annoyed the crap out of me when it blew up, but now that the genre's been dead and has had time to murrrnate, it's a little tasty when served in small portions.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    All I gotta say is

MOTHERFUCKING
    TITTSWORTH
    i've been playing that sardines shit out, but it's really something that has to be broken out at the right moment, and sparingly. BMore always annoyed the crap out of me when it blew up, but now that the genre's been dead and has had time to murrrnate, it's a little tasty when served in small portions.

Sardines? If you are referring to Sardines by Junkyard Band, that is a 80s D.C. Go-Go record and not a Baltimore club record.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    All I gotta say is

MOTHERFUCKING
    TITTSWORTH

Sardines? If you are referring to Sardines by Junkyard Band, that is a 80s D.C. Go-Go record and not a Baltimore club record.

Yeah, Titts is from DC, but he also plays B-More sound.

SARDINE, HAY, AND PORK AND BEANS

SARDINE, HAY, AND PORK AND BEANS

"We eat Sardines!"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I wold have liked them to have done "The Word."

All I gotta say is

MOTHERFUCKING
    TITTSWORTH

Sorry Delay, I just listend to the link and it's a B-More club remix of Sardines complete with Sing Sing drums! LOL.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Anybody got any suggestions for where to start on this shit? Good comps? Who does "Watch Out for the Big Girl"? "Hoes in This House"?

Thanks.

"Watch Out for the Big Girl" and "Whores in this House" are both some classic mid-90s shit, but have been reissued, remixed and comped to death so you can still find 'em pretty easily (well, relative to other club b-more stuff). The former is DJ Booman and the latter is Frank Ski & Ms. Tony (R.I.P). There's a decent two-disc comp of Unruly Records "classics" that's sort of not impossible to find too. Most everything else qualifies as either just passable or raer.

I've got at least a crate and a half of old + new + raer club vinyl at home, but have only just started converting the best ones to mp3. One of these days I'll post a bunch of 'em on here, though.