Hot Or Not: VH1 Hip Hop Honors

2»

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Fuck comcast for cutting my bootleg cable after 3 years.

• Okay Russell Simmons is watching Kane KILL it! Young cats are seeing him. Jay-Z is president of Def Jam, Kane helped bring Jay up...........

WHY ISN'T KANE ON DEF JAM?

Well, Def Jam Left is coming... who knows who might pop up on that label.
    But most old school rappers can kill it live even to this day. Doesn't mean that the public is gonna want to buy new records from them, unfortunately.

That is true... they are great doing the classics but when it's time to put a record together, it's kind of a wrap...

I dug the show (noBIGsegment) and I thought Common was terrible doing Kane's rhyme but whatever it was all in the spirit of the thing. Honestly Fat Joe was better than Common if you're looking at actually doing the rhyme in question.... anyways... it was corny but I am happy that hip-hop is getting it's due... I don't think, if you put Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton or something in front of a bunch of 15 year old rock kids they would have the same amount of respect...

• Anyone who Tivo'd and has the capacity to burn to DVD plaese to PM me.

My ass doesn't have a TV.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Let's settle this argument:

T.I sucked.
    Common sucked.
    Black Thought was passable.

Where is Edan when you needed him?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

thats exactly what i thought too.

Yawl are kidding right? Cuz that would not have gone over at all...

thats exactly what i thought too.

Yawl are kidding right? Cuz that would not have gone over at all...

No, it wouldn't have in the context of the show but at least dude can fast rap on time. Common was chasing the "Raw" beat from jump.

I know Com respects Kane like gangbusters but Common can't RHYME like Kane any better than Kanye can do Biggie convincingly.

UNLIKE: Nelly doing LL? Holy shit, he was a lot better than I would have given him credit for.

• also ti is terrible. he fucked up kanes shit like he fucks up every other song. there are atleast 10 dudes from the south that are doing it better than him right now.

like who? just curious. I want to get up on this "southern rap" thing all the kids are talking about.

• I know Com respects Kane like gangbusters but Common can't RHYME like Kane any better than Kanye can do Biggie convincingly.

didn't see the show, but i agree a rapper's "respect" for another rapper is not necesarily shown by covering said rapper's songs. sometimes the greatest sign of respect is to admit that no one can do it better and lay off.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i give up...

also ti is terrible. he fucked up kanes shit like he fucks up every other song. there are atleast 10 dudes from the south that are doing it better than him right now.

like who? just curious. I want to get up on this "southern rap" thing all the kids are talking about.

First listen to this:

(Yo folks, we need to bring Archaic back. I'm just saying. Revoke the ban!)

• hahaha. yeah the south bit the blowed. there I said it. now why do we need Archaic back again? jusssssplayinnnnn. that is a whole 'nother thread.

ps I was serious: what southern cat is "doing it better" than TI?

• Anyone who Tivo'd and has the capacity to burn to DVD plaese to PM me.

• ..but I do have a DVD player.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Anyone who Tivo'd and has the capacity to burn to DVD plaese to PM me.

Yes! I will paypal $10 for a dvd copy. let me know. Lil Cease is a piece of shit and on top of that a snitch!!!!!!! Surprised he is still walking. Kane killed it and showed why he is THE MAN. Nelly did a great LL Cool J as well.

• No, it wouldn't have in the context of the show but at least dude can fast rap on time. Common was chasing the "Raw" beat from jump.

I know Com respects Kane like gangbusters but Common can't RHYME like Kane any better than Kanye can do Biggie convincingly.

UNLIKE: Nelly doing LL? Holy shit, he was a lot better than I would have given him credit for.

I pretty much agree with everything O is saying. Common gets brownie points for the windmills, though. I ain't really mad at Common and T.I., they're both very good rappers... just not so good at doing Kane's rhyme style. Thought, on the other hand, sounded EXACTLY like Kane on that last Roots album, so it's not hard to see how he'd do a much better job.

And Nelly? Holy pakora, Nelly did a f**king GREAT LL Cool J! Looks like he even took a few extra steroids so that he could really nail the role! The little cross-legged dance step, the sharksfin move and the jellybean crushing... yeah, dude gets an A++ for that one.

Overall I thought the show was pretty entertaining. But I'm REALLY waiting for that "random rap" award show.

Overall I thought the show was pretty entertaining. But I'm REALLY waiting for that "random rap" award show.

Is that where Edan comes to the stage performing Phill Most Chill?

• Overall I thought the show was pretty entertaining. But I'm REALLY waiting for that "random rap" award show.

Is that where Edan comes to the stage performing Phill Most Chill?

YESSSSSS

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Alright, just watched Kane segment online - for anyone (like me) who missed this shit, all performances are available here:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/hip_hop_honors/2005/vspot.jhtml

Gotta give it up for Black Thought, "Set it Off" was SIK - dude kept true to the pace and flow, and hearing that Steve Cropper guitar run played live instead of looped was next level ish. Common was definitely having a hard time keeping up on "Raw," but give dude a little slack...that shit is near impossible for anybody to run correct, that's why Kane was (and is) The Man - although Black Thought sure was able to keep pace.
    Dance sequence at the end was the show-stoppinest shit I've seen in a minute!

YEAH, KANE!

No slack. Either you can handle a BDK flow or you can't. If not, then don't step up.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    you guys are a tough crowd. Seemed like dudes were having fun, not performing open-heart surgery.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    watching online right now. i think the show's concept is great, and the performances have been incredible and unique... especially for a vh1 special. mtv and vh1 are owned by the same parent company, and it's a real head-scratcher why this show was a vh1 production when it seems much more similar to the mtv2/Jams shows that i've seen.
    why is vh1 trying to capture the hiphop audience? is the liz phair/alanis morissette demographic not pulling enuf advertising dollars?

• No slack. Either you can handle a BDK flow or you can't. If not, then don't step up.

I.E.

COMMON! STEP THE FUCK BACK FOR A SECOND!

P.S.

Ciarra looked bangin'[/b].

• big daddy kane was dope as hell, but fuck TI[/b] even being on the same stage with him let alone spitting his rhymes.

AYO!!![/b]

jk!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    No slack. Either you can handle a BDK flow or you can't. If not, then don't step up.

I.E.

COMMON! STEP THE FUCK BACK FOR A SECOND!

P.S.

Ciarra looked bangin'[/b].

But her looks were the only positive of her "performance."