Hot Or Not: VH1 Hip Hop Honors

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
the furious five was ill, except fat joe came out for cowboy...

Comments

• It's dope. I wish they had more covers though as funny as that sounds. I would have loved to see Snoop do all of Ice T's part.

To many rappers doing their own material. I know that sounds nuts, but I like the tributes.

When the hell is Rakim gonna get some love?

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! JAZZY JEFF PROVED AGAIN WHY HE IS THE BADDEST MAN TO TOUCH A TURNTABLE! He should have had a longer part.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hot with reservations.

But in general, I really like the spirit of the event even if the actual production quality of it could use some serious tightening.

• I'm just dismayed that this is on VH1 and not MTV.

Not that I like MTV or anything, but I grew up thinking of VH1 as the old people's version.

As the supposed target audience of this thing, am I that old?!?!

Second thought VH1's been killing MTV for a minute now...I guess I am[/b] that old.

• did I miss Big Daddy Kanes part?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    big daddy kane....

• Big Daddy Kane =

• big daddy kane....

The best part of the show. It just went off, it was crazy. Black Thought, Common, T.I. and the man himself. The Roots playing, Biz on the turntables. It was crazy.

Peace

• WOW BIG'S PART SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck the whole show now. I'm a huge BIG fan. That was wack.

Fuck Kanye too. His bitch ass probably had them use his wack beat from the Jay Z song Dream to have Luda rap over it. How the fuck you gonna do a BIG tribute by having him do Big's recycled verse from someone else's album????????????

AND NOW EVERYONE KNOWS EXACTLY WHY LITTLE CEE'S WAS A HYPEMAN AND KEPT HIS ASS IN THE BACKGROUND.

Props to everything except BIG'S part.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Damn Nas has a small head!it was like a baby head on a grown man's body.

• kane was raw as fuck..highlight of the night

• they should have ended the show with the big daddy kane medly. that dance segment he did brought me back!

if i have to watch another award show where puffy feels the obligation to pay tribute to biggie because he feels responsible for his death, i might go crazy. just relax soul strutters, it's one man's opinion, and i know a lot of you won't agree with it, and i'm ok with it.

also common's windmills and i love black people tee shirt were pretty cool too.

as well as grandmaster flash, jazzy jeff, and kid capri's DJ segment. anyone notice that the record skipped twice while they were doing the carousel routine?

• KANE!

• Okay Russell Simmons is watching Kane KILL it! Young cats are seeing him. Jay-Z is president of Def Jam, Kane helped bring Jay up...........

WHY ISN'T KANE ON DEF JAM?

• Okay Russell Simmons is watching Kane KILL it! Young cats are seeing him. Jay-Z is president of Def Jam, Kane helped bring Jay up...........

WHY ISN'T KANE ON DEF JAM?

Well, Def Jam Left is coming... who knows who might pop up on that label.
    But most old school rappers can kill it live even to this day. Doesn't mean that the public is gonna want to buy new records from them, unfortunately.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Hot with reservations.

But in general, I really like the spirit of the event even if the actual production quality of it could use some serious tightening.

exactly....

the event/performances are dope,

but
    some of these camera shots are annoying the hell out of me...the direction/production is

and oh yeah...... NIA LONG IS FINE AS HELL!!!!!!!!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

and oh yeah...... NIA LONG IS FINE AS HELL!!!!!!!!

damn she was looking nice....

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I'm on the west coast - so I'm just now getting to see this and all I have to say is it is all about BDK!

• all about BDK!

the dance routine, dog! the dance routine!
    i almost jumped on the couch and scared the family!

• all about BDK!

the dance routine, dog! the dance routine!
    i almost jumped on the couch and scared the family!

Same here, well, except for the family part 'cause I live alone. Dudes must be in their 40's and shit STILL bustin' fly shit!

Herm

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Isn't BDK still only like 33 years old? I could have sworn he was mad younger than I thought when Long Live the Kane came out, like still in High School...or am I tripping?

Wrath of Kane studio version on the flip of the I'll Take You There 12" =

• and oh yeah...... NIA LONG IS FINE AS HELL!!!!!!!!

damn she was looking nice and bored as hell [/b]....

Pepa was looking extra fucking sexy. Why did Treach leave her?

• [disrespecfellatin']Can someone please tell Flash that freshness has an expiration date? It was painful to listen to his "scratching." A lot has happened in the last 25 years.[/disrespecfellatin]

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    was that pete rock up in the balcony?

• WOW BIG'S PART SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND NOW EVERYONE KNOWS EXACTLY WHY LITTLE CEE'S WAS A HYPEMAN AND KEPT HIS ASS IN THE BACKGROUND.

i`m not the only one who noticed cease killed it..but not in a good way..

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    big daddy kane was dope as hell, but fuck TI even being on the same stage with him let alone spitting his rhymes.

?????????

and black thought & common get a pass becuase???? you need to explain these types of sentiments as some of us southern folk don't take too kindly to statements like this...

kane ripped it, and i don't see any reason why TI can't get the opportunity to rap alongside a dude he obviously looked up to.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    wether you like com + black thought or not,( i'm about them.)they've paid more dues than ti at this point.plus ti sounded and looked like a embarresed high schooler when he was rapping "smooth operator".

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    was that pete rock up in the balcony?
    Yes and Kanes flip was the ish!

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    paid more dues.

laughable.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    wether you like com + black thought or not,( i'm about them.)they've paid more dues than ti at this point.plus ti sounded and looked like a embarresed high schooler when he was rapping "smooth operator".

i'll give you that TI didn't come off that great when doing his verse of smooth operator, but "paid more dues".....c'mon man. please let me know who is keeping track of the "rap dues" and what it entails (i.e making crappy records like electric circus????). TI been rapping for a minute (originally as TIP), has a good amount of material out, does some good things for the community and likewise been caught up in some not so good things too.

y'all don't like him, thats one thing, but "paid more dues". can't buy that one homie.