NFL WEEK 3

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
A few key matchups this weekend-STEELERS OVER PATRIOTS-[/b] I think it's almost over for the world champs. The Stillers play football EXACTLY how it's supposed to be played- physical defense, punishing running game, and a QB who does what he has to do to win games. Kinda like how the Patriots have been doing it, especially last year. This might be Pittsburgh's year (in the AFC, anyway).EAGLES OVER RAIDERS-[/b] Oakland will probably get a few plays and may make the score close, but the outcome will NOT be in doubt. Philly is by far the superior being in this matchup.BENGALS OVER THE BEARS-[/b] The beautiful thing about having the new Directv Superfan deal is the "Shortcuts" option- every game edited down to a 30 min. versionn. So I'm now able to see every play from every game. Makes it much easier to assess what's really good (or bad) with every team. Both of these squads look to be on the upswing, but I'm telling y'all now- the Bengals could really be a PROBLEM this season. They put it on the Minnesota Viqueens 37-8 last week, and it coulda been even worse. If they keep playing solid defense, watch out for the dudes in the orange vomit uniforms.BUCS OVER PACKERS-[/b] How the hell did Tampa bay suddenly get good again? Well, they're doing it with that tried and true formula that I essplained already- tough D, serious rushing attack and a QB that may not be spectacular but does enough to win. Cadillac Williams looks to be the real deal. The Pack is about ready for that fork to be stuck in their as, and it's only week 3.VIKINGS OVER SAINTS-[/b] I'm just guessing that Minny will bounce back... they looked terrible last week against the Bengals. But they did move the ball, so if Pep can just eliminate the turnovers they should start to breathe again (I know they miss Moss, but I can't believe his absence can make the team THAT damn bad). The Saints' situation just ain't fair- nothing but road games all season. Not the recipe for success in the NFL (or ANY league).CHARGERS OVER GIANTS-[/b] If not then the Jints will be 3-0, SD will be 0-3. Impossible. It's gonna take way more than 2 wins for me to see the G-men as anything but a fraud.Once I get a little more comfortable with my BLOG I will start posting my sports stuff over there instead of here at Soulstrut on a regular basis. Did you know that I love my blog? Anyway, add on with your picks and thoughts on week 3, batches! [i]Oh snap... they're back in love again like LTD. Folls gonna have BIG problems with us now./i]

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    The beautiful thing about having the new Directv Superfan deal is the "Shortcuts" option- every game edited down to a 30 min. versionn.

colts will definately be 3-0 after sunday, hollur

• You already know what it is, cuddo-

No one is stopping this.

I think the Bears are gonna beat the Bengals. Even though the Bengals will turn the corner this year, they'll trip up this week. #84 for Cinci is ill, that's my dude. Gets no pub. due to #85, but people need to stop sleepin' on him. Anyway, this is the only game pick of yours I disagee with.

• Atlanta[/b] over Buffalo - I really like the defense that the Bills have but I see Atlanta pulling out a tough road win.

Carolina[/b] over Miami - The Panthers are one tough team....Every NFL team should fear them the most. If the quarterback were more steady I would pick them to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl but these guys...

Philadelphia[/b] over Oakland - Philly looked good last weekend...The Raiders could be in for a long day if Collins has a tough time with all the schemes and blitzes the Eagles like to run on defense.

Dallas[/b] over San Francisco - That lost Monday night felt like someone stealing your wallet filled with Ben Franklins....Roy Williams looked confused on those 2 big plays and Aaron Glenn just got beat....I have had to put up with a lot of taunting this week so Dallas better win this game.

New York[/b] over Jacksonville - I really like the Jags but they are banged up and they are playing a decent Jets team. Jacksonville's D looked impressive last week.

New England[/b] over Pittsburg - All week long I have said that Pittsburg would win this game but for some odd reason all of a sudden I have a gut feeling that the Patriots will win. I will be pulling for the Steelers.

New Orleans[/b] over Minnesota - I am picking a lot of road teams to win this week...After doing some further analyzing on the Vikings I think their problems run deeper than the absence of Moss. The lack of a running game, lack of a "good" offensive coordinator, defense that is still incohesive....this could be a long year for the Vikes.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Minnesota Viqueens

pats over steelers, out of sheer cynicism.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

pats over steelers, out of sheer knowledge.

• pats over steelers, out of sheer knowledge.

Yeah, you guys are probably right about the Pats. I should know better than to count them out... I've been trying to do that for the last two years. They really only lost to Carolina last week because of their own mishaps (uncharacteristic penalties and an off day by Brady), not because the Panthers outplayed them all that much. The Pats are still the champs, mane. But it's gonna be two tough road games in a row, and the Steelers are looking mad strong right about now. Ya never know in the NFL, especially in the early weeks. But I gotta go with the 'Burgh on this one. Should be a good ass game regardless.

• Pats are very vunerable this year, very thin in the secondary, Ty Law in Detroit and of course the loss of hard hitting Teddy Bru... (However you spell his name). I got the Colts or Steelers to win AFC. Meanwhile the NFC is a mess as usual, Philly is the only clear cut team dominating. Tampa Bay looks suprisingly good, too bad my Packers got to play them this week, but they are at home so... Also Seahawks and Carolina looks good as well. Atlanta is iffy if you know what I mean, you never know which team you're gonna see play every week. The team that kicked Philly's a** or the team that got blasted in Seattle last week.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Carolina[/b] over Miami - The Panthers are one tough team....Every NFL team should fear them the most[/b]. If the quarterback were more steady I would pick them to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl but these guys...

• debardebar 215 Posts
    some observations so far today:

if chicago just ran the ball (cedric who? this is thomas jones' job) on every play, with the defense they have, they would never lose

oh shit! oakland does have a defense.

vikes aren't horrible afterall

what's up with all the blocked fgs and blocked/missed xps this year?

someone start carving up tory holt's bust for the hall of fame

can we (and by we i mean tv analysts) please hold off on calling indy's defense impressive? they've played baltimore, jacksonville, and cleveland, not exactly impressive offenses. let's wait until week 11 after they've faced st. louis, new england & cincinnati before sucking their dicks.

• oh shit! oakland does have a defense.

NO. Not at all. This game today would be a blow out for Philly if McNabb wasn't hurt. He's in obvious pain and has been missing receivers all day long. Trust me, Oakland is NOT good on defense or offense. I thought they would at least be able to run the ball on us... right now after 3 quarters they have 20 yards rushing. Moss has 2 catches for 26 yards. This thing shouldn't even be close.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    oh shit! oakland does have a defense.

NO. Not at all. This game today would be a blow out for Philly if McNabb wasn't hurt. He's in obvious pain and has been missing receivers all day long. Trust me, Oakland is NOT good on defense or offense. I thought they would at least be able to run the ball on us... right now after 3 quarters they have 20 yards rushing. Moss has 2 catches for 26 yards. This thing shouldn't even be close.

yeah, the eagles last drive proved my point wrong

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    losman is so not ready.......blowing open receivers left and right.

offensive line is cracking like the n.o. levees

• VIKINGS OVER SAINTS-[/b] I'm just guessing that Minny will bounce back... they looked terrible last week against the Bengals. But they did move the ball, so if Pep can just eliminate the turnovers they should start to breathe again (I know they miss Moss, but I can't believe his absence can make the team THAT damn bad). The Saints' situation just ain't fair- nothing but road games all season. Not the recipe for success in the NFL (or ANY league).

Good call, I had the Saints for a V+ on ProLine.

New Orleans 16
    Minnesota 33

Carolina[/b] over Miami - The Panthers are one tough team....Every NFL team should fear them the most. If the quarterback were more steady I would pick them to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl but these guys...

But this has to be the upset of the week.

Carolina 24
    Miami 27

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    pittsburgh is smackin right now. we're lookin good

• Pats are very vunerable this year, very thin in the secondary, Ty Law in Detroit and of course the loss of hard hitting Teddy Bru... (However you spell his name).

Add Harrison and Lyght to that list. LOL
    Go Steelers!!!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Pats are very vunerable this year, very thin in the secondary, Ty Law in Detroit and of course the loss of hard hitting Teddy Bru... (However you spell his name).

Add Harrison and Lyght to that list. LOL
    Go Steelers!!!

Laughing about injuries to players:

But I'll save that for another day, cause you know what just went down.

Not a pretty game by any means, but those legendary "half time adjustments" and some stepping up in the absence of key players (I felt ill when I saw Rodney Harrison, the soul of our D, go down), led the Pats to win one they easily could have lost. Never count these boys out.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

The player of week 3 has gotta be that eagles kicker - that was a heck of a performance. Dude has guts.

• The player of week 3 has gotta be that eagles kicker - that was a heck of a performance. Dude has guts.

David Akers. He's a BEAST! Philly heads know. We LOVE this dude out here. He's clutch.

It reminded me of that simpsons where the immigrant kickers leg flew off when he kicked the winning point.

On another note... Akers and Freddy Mitchell used to pick up mad tail at Sixers pre-season games. I used to sit between those two and questlove. Questloves girl liked to call people "Stupid Fucking Honkeys" a lot. But I digress......

• The player of week 3 has gotta be that eagles kicker - that was a heck of a performance. Dude has guts.

I cringed when he went down the second time. Shit looked painful and I felt bad for him. Then he comes and kick the game winner at the end of the game. Akers gets mad props over here.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

The player of week 3 has gotta be that eagles kicker - that was a heck of a performance. Dude has guts.

David Akers. He's a BEAST! Philly heads know. We LOVE this dude out here. He's clutch.

It reminded me of that simpsons where the immigrant kickers leg flew off when he kicked the winning point.

On another note... Akers and Freddy Mitchell used to pick up mad tail at Sixers pre-season games. I used to sit between those two and questlove. Questloves girl liked to call people "Stupid Fucking Honkeys" a lot. But I digress......

Funky do we know each other?

• pasepase 89 Posts
    WHO DEY BITCHES!!!!!!

• Dallas really needed that win!!!!!!! I really should have bet on that New England game...the Panthers are still the "toughest" team in the NFL in my opinion...but the Colts are the best.

• but the Colts are the best.
    No they ain't. They're top caliber but they ain't the best.

• David Akers. He's a BEAST! Philly heads know. We LOVE this dude out here. He's clutch.

Games like today's just make me say damn, Eagles... PAY AKERS! PAY WESTBROOK! EVEN PAY T.O.'S RIDICULOUS ASS! Those guys deserve their money, mang.

On another note... Akers and Freddy Mitchell used to pick up mad tail at Sixers pre-season games. I used to sit between those two and questlove.

Naw, not Akers... really? I know FredEx was hangin' with Urkel a lot. But Akers? Pickin' up tail??? I thought he was married (although that doesn't necessarily mean anything, I guess).

You must be a big dude, seated in the celeb section and all. Who you is, Milo or somebody?

• I'm looking at this Giants-Chargers game tonight, and you know what? These goddam Gints might just be for real... who'da thunk it. Eli's game is really impressing me. Could be scary for my Eagles in the years to come, because he's only gonna get better with time. Wow.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm looking at this Giants-Chargers game tonight, and you know what? both these teams look waay better than the Pats or the Steelers did today.[/b]

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

But this has to be the upset of the week.

Carolina 24
    Miami 27

neVaThaTTSON !!!!!!

WE MEAN BIZNIZZ BABEEEE!!!!

WEar nOt p[LAyin!!!!

suPegrbIOWL ! ! ! !!

1ST PLACE ....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    the dude