Jim Jones, Harlem: Diary Of A Summer

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Carry over from "most controversial rap album" thread.Noticed that Jim Jones, Harlem: Diary Of A Summer is #7 on the rap Billboard list.My only question is: Why? Shit is bammer. Discuss.

Comments

• How many times does he taalk about Tupac & Biggie? I thought it was booty. I'll give it another listen and chime back. I'm not a big Dipset follower but I like some of it. It has a certain charm.

• Baby girl, you wanna be down with the dipset?

Well first, you gotta get your lips wet.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yeah I copped that album.....................

He has charisma, but the production is

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Baby girl, you wanna be down with the dipset?

thats been my jam.

Album as a whole. eh.

• His first album as a whole is better.

Best line from "On My Way To Church"

We get on the planes and fly high....
    Nigga I ride high, drive high, fly high, sky high, ha ha, I'm high. So high so fly, flow by, oh why, oh my, and I don't know why. So get your parachute, and row your boat nigga!
    "

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Jim Jones isn't an album dude, but he has a great voice, he has charisma and when he raps hard you believe him. I think his achilles heel is that he isn't great at picking beats. And he can be unimaginitive - "Tupac Joint?" Nah dog.

"Summer in Miami" is big in the streets (I love the way they sampled the bridge from Between the Sheets instead of the main melody - it is beautiful and kind of tense).

"Baby Girl" is huge in the club out here and in Philly. Bigger than Juelz "There it Go (Whistle Song)," for now at least. I like it, it is a simple beat but it knocks and it is fun to rock doubles. Can I get a G Clap?

"G's Up" (Pet Rock beat) is real boring. Bad look.

"Penitentiary Chances" with Hell Rell is crazy. That big cinematic Dipset shit that Juelz usually would rock, but Hell Rell kills it. "Two things I never seen: a UFO and a bitch I need."

"We Just Balling," with the "Rocking It" synth looped into a two-note melody is really hot to me. It reminds me of late 90s Bad Boy dance type shit, or Rockwilder shit from back then.

"What You Drankin On" looks good on paper - crunk beat, P Diddy and Paul Wall guest, but Jha-Jha's Trina impersonation is garbage. Paul Wall is pretty good.

"Harlem" is a cool album cut. Not mad at this.

"I'm in Love With a Thug" has a real shitty singer on the hook but I really feel what he's talking about - trying to balance a relationship with work (hustling and later music)

So yeah I think this is better than the last album but it doesn't hold a candle to some of the Diplomats mixtapes or Cam's album, which I consider a 5 Star classic.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The CD has that DVD flipside shit goin' on.
    Hella videos.

• ayoayo 44 Posts
    I dont really see his joints as club bangers. "baby girl" i honestly cant picture rocking a party. "harlem" is cool, and the hook flows real well but again, not really a club banger. his music is more on some driving thru the hood laid back type shit.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I dont really see his joints as club bangers. "baby girl" i honestly cant picture rocking a party.

It is a big club record in New York and Philly. If you aren't out here, just take my word for it.

• I dont really see his joints as club bangers. "baby girl" i honestly cant picture rocking a party.

It is a big club record in New York and Philly. If you aren't out here, just take my word for it.

... "this is not a club record"... huh? actually, yes it is, every club I've been in in the last two months gets cracking when it comes on... ayo where are you at? That record has been doing it out here for a minute now.

"Harlem" is getting some good burn on the radio right now. Not mad at that cut, the little voice in the background is kind of sick.

• Whistle song, yeah that shit is actually bubblin' and getting love but at the most it'll be warm-up joint. I may have to cop that.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I dont really see his joints as club bangers. "baby girl" i honestly cant picture rocking a party.

... "this is not a club record"... huh? actually, yes it is, every club I've been in in the last two months gets cracking when it comes on... ayo where are you at? That record has been doing it out here for a minute now.

Well, it's not banging at the club that adjoins my private mind garden!

• FauxBo:

what's your thoughts, concerns, feelings,emotions and opinions on:

ebony eyez: In yo face.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    FauxBo:

Not nearly as salacious as one might have hoped.

• no dipset is getting it crackin in LA... Cats around here from what I can tell (unless its the hipster set) laugh at anything dipset and shake their heads in disbelief... But then again I doubt NYC is killin it with "Trauma"...

• FauxBo:

Not nearly as salacious as one might have hoped.

Yeah it wasn't Trina Salacious, buuuuuuuuuuut

I feel it. I was going to buy it last night but forgot. I love that 'WOOOO WOOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO" when that shit drops. Is that shit relevant anywhere else? or just in private mind gardens, warm-up set list, and soulstrut?

Not for nothing, she's actually kinda dope on the mic as well.

• no dipset is getting it crackin in LA... Cats around here from what I can tell (unless its the hipster set) laugh at anything dipset and shake their heads in disbelief... But then again I doubt NYC is killin it with "Trauma"...

ditto on SF as far as I can tell. then I haven't been out in the city in a couple weeks....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The Jim Jones drops I just got are fucking dope.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    FauxBo:

That track is mad old!

I like the b-side of her new sangle... well the beat anyway, but she's aiiight

Don't know why they put out the 112 song as the single though

• Baby girl, you wanna be down with the dipset?

thats been my jam.

Album as a whole. eh.

clearly, you haven't gotten your lips wet.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Baby girl, you wanna be down with the dipset?

thats been my jam.

Album as a whole. eh.

clearly, you haven't gotten your lips wet.

CLEARLY

• I feel it. I was going to buy it last night but forgot. I love that 'WOOOO WOOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO" when that shit drops. Is that shit relevant anywhere else? or just in private mind gardens, warm-up set list, and soulstrut?

it's like a fake tipsy (from the same producers too), just not as good. although the "this is the part where we break it down" accapella would be dope for a party break or something.

• I feel it. I was going to buy it last night but forgot. I love that 'WOOOO WOOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO" when that shit drops. Is that shit relevant anywhere else? or just in private mind gardens, warm-up set list, and soulstrut?

it's like a fake tipsy (from the same producers too), just not as good. although the "this is the part where we break it down" accapella would be dope for a party break or something.

catchdubbsremixraer?

• This stuff is so hot i like the penguin samples were eric b says yo i came here to get 666

• The Jim Jones drops I just got are fucking dope.

I wanna hear!!!