Jazz Dance Come-Up at Thrift

vinylstalkervinylstalker 397 Posts
edited April 2005 in Record Collecting
Had a half day off yesterday, so I made the thrift rounds.My city has 12 active thrifts, 2 SA's, 2 GW's, 4 SVDP's, and4 NRR ones. This score was at the last one, the biggest SVDP.Anyway, some "moder dance" instructor must of kicked the bucket.--"Advanced Jazz- The Spoken Jazz Class By Art Stone" -Statler 1005. ("Music by The Night Shift with todays sound!", pretty ill Tramp-esque jam w/ braeks, too bad dude talks over it.)--"Jazz Dance Session, Gus Giordano" -Orion LP101--"The Jazz Class, Percussion Trio" -Orion LP108--"Encore Jazz Dance Session w/ G. Giordano" -Orion LP103--"Giants Of Jazz Dance, Johnny Frigo Sextet" -Orion LP109--"Electric Jazz of Gus Giordano, J. Frigo Sextet" -Orion LP117 (YESSSSS!! Finally got this personal grail.)--"Jazz Class by Luigi" -Hoctor HLP4062 (This one aint so hot, has some nice jazz drums, nothing too funky. Its Yello. Anyone know what the good ones are? the thrift has like 8 other Luigi joints.)Also, some 45's:--Little Archie, "I'm a Carpet" Dial Wlp. Funky cut.--Len Woods, "Do it Funky" Revue. Pretty funky, not mindblowing.--Party Brothers, "A&T's Party" CanUsa Wlp. Jamo Thomas prod.O-Dub or others, any help on the Luigi Lp's? I would just go buythem all, but I'm trying to cut down on the garbage....

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    congrats, nice finds

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Luigi ain't really stuff to kick around and listen to if you're worried about garbage... but most of em have drum breaks for the kiddies.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    --"Jazz Class by Luigi" -Hoctor HLP4062

I think I've got this one. I like 'relax and last stretch' (or something similar) with the jazzy piano.

• Luigi ain't really stuff to kick around and listen to if you're worried about garbage... but most of em have drum breaks for the kiddies.
    Well, yeah.
    Actually, I dj an opening slot for a NOLA trumpeter named David Dunbar
    whenever he gigs around here, and I have played Hoctor Jazz Dance tracks
    at these gigs. His band members always dig on 'em.
    I was reffering to THE Luigi Lp, whatever it is. I have read
    somewhere that there is one that is funky and braeky.
    Idunno, maybe it was just ebay hype.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Statler and Orion LPs can be fire if you get the right ones. I'd have to check at home for any recommendations.
    T.N.

• Cosquiggle.
    I am a die hard JazzDanceInstructoLP afficianado for many years.
    I have a good clutch of Statler/Hoctors, but the Orions are somehow
    raer around these parts.
    Any Orion recomendations appreciated. I have noticed things dont
    seem to get funky til the 110's and up, yes?

Tonite!

Sharon Abel brings it, from my memory...Orion steez

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Any Orion recomendations appreciated.

still lacking the big one in the middle unfortunately

• Is the big one in the middle "Chicago Jazz Rock"?
    And is that just a 1-track-er?

So, nobody here can hip me to wich Luigi Lp is the heat????
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Is the big one in the middle "Chicago Jazz Rock"?

No the one on the far right is Chi Jazz Rock. It is an All-But-One-Tracker. Heat-tastic. The middle one is the one with Scorpio which is the only track I've heard off of it.

Luigi has a hot one? I have the jazz class one.. I think I still do anyway.. and the tracks are OK but definitely drum break novelty.

• No, the middle one is not "The Electric Jazz Of...", or if it is,
    my cover is different. My cover has G.D. in some kinda wrestler
    one-piece leotard get-up with some ill cowboy boots on.

From what I can tell, I scored all but the middle one and the one
    on the far right.
    As for Luigi, aren't all of them called "Jazz Dance Class" of some
    sort, and don't they all have the same cover, different color?
    And yeah, I know that they are known more for braeks than the music,
    but I swear I read that there is one that is an exception.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    --"Jazz Dance Session, Gus Giordano" -Orion LP101
    --"The Jazz Class, Percussion Trio" -Orion LP108
    --"Encore Jazz Dance Session w/ G. Giordano" -Orion LP103
    --"Giants Of Jazz Dance, Johnny Frigo Sextet" -Orion LP109
    --"Electric Jazz of Gus Giordano, J. Frigo Sextet" -Orion LP117
    (YESSSSS!! Finally got this personal grail.)

dam... amazing how frigo pretty much turns up exclusively at thrift stores. i have three orion's and all three came from thrifts around the country.

you're talking about this one:

there's a handful of decent tracks on it, but it pretty much is a one-tracker with the cut being "Gazebo" which is pretty tasty latin jazz w/ a strong buildup.i dig it.

• Thanks for the knowlege.
    I guess old Jazz-Dance-Instructors don't sell their
    records to stores, they just die and their kids dump
    all of it at StV.D.P. Sweet for us.
    Oh, and you wanna trade me that one for a bunch of
    early-2-mid 60's Orions that suck?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    just picked this one up this weekend in alabama, don't think i'm ready to part with it quite yet.

i really need to start hitting the thrifts down here a bit more often than i do. thrift store shopping is often when i'm out of town. i've never gone to a thrift in BR... and i pass through there like once a week for work.

cool finds!!!

• Um, nothing here, all dry.
    Don't waste your time!
    Really!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Is the big one in the middle "Chicago Jazz Rock"?

Hoctor 4273, I think is the one with break that is on the first Status Breaks. I think the one you got is just as good. I understand they both exsist with and without spoken instructions and count offs. Obviously if you have the spoken instructions you missed out.

I remember them both being acoustic piano and drums, maybe some bass. I thought both records had good moments. There are other good Hoctors. I talked to the drummer once. He spent years drumming with a famous female jazz piano player who's name I can't remember. He only used brushes behind her.

Dan

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    There's nothing on the Luigis that are that important to get. The Giordano/Frigo shit is a lot more rare (and better) all around. As others noted, there's some killer Hoctor titles out there, some of which are as obscure as the deepest Giordano LPs (and just as good, IMO). I've only ever heard one album on Statler but the shit was wiiiiiiicked. Motown67 knows the deal.

• Yes indeed.
    I need to work on a Jazz-Dance-Heat mix.
    Anyone knows if this has been done before?
    Most Statler's I have are kiddie joints.
    I do have that Afro-Cuban Jazz one that's pretty good.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yes indeed.
    I need to work on a Jazz-Dance-Heat mix.
    Anyone knows if this has been done before?
    Most Statler's I have are kiddie joints.
    I do have that Afro-Cuban Jazz one that's pretty good.

A jazz dance heat mix would strictly be for geek's sake - after all, what separates jazz dance LPs from library records? They're practically the same thing, just purposed differently. I'm just saying - make a good mix but don't box yourself in with a theme that just seems for the sake of, UNLESS you're coming with the illest fucking jazz dance tunes that no one's ever heard.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

wow...i like that cover a lot.

all i have is chicago jazz rock, and it is a damn good record.

is adagio spelled wrong on the label of every copy?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    There are a couple of good Luigis. I had one with nice, funky tunes, but it wasn't on Hoctor. I can't remember the label, but I gave it to Bambouche, so he probably could tell you.

• I feel you, but I have to disagree with the library comparison.
    What makes JazzDanceTrax appealing to me as that they were meant
    to be DANCED to, and therefore are most often very percussive,
    melodically simple, and repetitious. Did somebody say JB?

And I'm not even talking about just JazzDanceDiscs, more about
    dance instruction records in general. This then includes all of
    the Kimbo, Melody House, Edu. Activities etc...
    I dunno, it just seemed like an obvious thing to tie together.
    With the right track selection and doubles, it could be a BBoy
    dream.

Did you catch the Xian Funk mix at Rehash (I think)?
    That was excellent, and was all united by the mere fact that the
    songs were Xian, (mostly) obscure, and funky.

Well, I gotta put my money where my mouth is and make a mix.

This is on some smallish jazz dance label, a few songs for listening plaesure:

http://thewaxcrusade.com/jazm.wav

Enjoy!
    Peace
    T.N.

• Thanks non!!

First track I could do without.

Second track - that's more like it! Raw...

Third track, where's luke vibert? Sounds like some of his stuff, with the tongue in cheek synth and everything.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    There are a couple of good Luigis. I had one with nice, funky tunes, but it wasn't on Hoctor. I can't remember the label, but I gave it to Bambouche, so he probably could tell you.

Luigi Jazz Technique - Dancing from the Inside [ayo!] (with the Freedom Jazz Ensemble) on Roper Records, RRLPS 7007, 1985.

It doesn't sound '85 to me, a few nice breaks (including some 3/4 action).

• Whoa-izzle.
    Please to spill the beans,
    what label is this?

Whoa-izzle.
    Please to spill the beans,
    what label is this?

yeah... i like that.. what this squirel's name be?

anybody got the jazz dance type record with a cover of holywood swingin on it?

really lo(wer)fi but cool cover. "I always wanted / to get into a band / to sing my song / and become a bad conga playin maaaaaaaan"

rest of that record is ass tho.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I pulled these out and gave a listen. Here is my review:

Luigi Hoctor 4032 - No spoken instruction. I can put this on and listen all the way through no problem. Acoustic Piano and drums, improvising giving each other lots of room. Not at all loungey, just solid jazz playing. Piano player sounds like how Roberta Flack would sound if she played jazz instrumentals. The drummer, phil Faieta, played for years with Barbra Carroll. He told me she wouldn't let him use sticks, only brushes, so he enjoyed the freedom of playing with Joe Nedwidek for Luigi. I think he told me he remembers playing for Luigi's classes, but didn't remember the recording session. Plenty on here for the creative producer or dj.

Luigi - Hoctor 4062 -No spoken instruction - Not as good a listen. Paino and drums are accompanied by bass, guitar, sax, flute and occasionally strings. Last Stretch is a nice low key funk track with break, wah wah guitar and a sax solo. Just For Kicks is the Status Breaks cut I think, lots of open drums, driving guitar piano and sax. There is a latin cut, some are almost dixieland. The funk cuts are good jazz funk and worth a listen, some other cuts need to be skipped, plenty for the dj and producer.

Dan

When I get home, I'll look at the label and "holla". Dude can do no wrong, has pics of him jazz dancing in the gatefold inner. Money!
    Look like some discotech shimmying.
    T.N.

The label is Educator Records from Philly.
    Peace
    T.N.