a white guy that found out he was black - article

2»

Comments

• You said f*ck off, right?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Many people ask me what I am

...A question that has kept many a little dude up at night.

One time uptown a dude interrupted our meal by walking into the restaurant in order to ask me "Are you Caucasian?"

You said fuck off, right?

T***a laughed out loud right?

• One time uptown a fruitcake[/b] interrupted our meal by walking into the restaurant in order to ask me "Where did you acquire that darling pink striped shirt?[/b]"

And so goes the life of the American fashion plate.

• One time uptown a dude interrupted our meal by walking into the restaurant in order to ask me "Are you Caucasian?"

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1127410575hogginthefogg">

HOW DID FAUX RESPOND?[/b]
    "F*ck off."
    "Actually, I'm caucasoid."
    "That's Mr. White Devil, ESQUIRE to you."
    "Yeah, but only on my parents' side."
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• One time uptown a dude interrupted our meal by walking into the restaurant in order to ask me "Are you Caucasian?"

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1127410575hogginthefogg">

HOW DID FAUX RESPOND?[/b]
    "F*ck off."
    "Actually, I'm caucasoid."
    "That's Mr. White Devil, ESQUIRE to you."
    "Yeah, but only on my parents' side."
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

E. "does rat plus cat plus dog equal hog?"

I had an aquaintence in college who was a highly intelligent, personable guy who rubbed folks the wrong way with his conservative approach to everything. He was mixed-race, black and white but adopted with his sister Buffy(I am unsure if they were blood relatives, half sister/brother at all,but she was Black as well) into a white family in an affluent suburb of the Twin Cities. Jay mostly liked to argue, and you got the impression that he didn't really believe his arch conservative rhetoric, but rather saw it as the easiest way to get under people's skin and set himself apart. He professed to hate gays, wondered aloud what it was that was "wrong with those BLACK people(his emphasis) in South Africa" that they couldn't just accept the system they were in and live within the rules, and openly derided anything to do with MLK. Now obviously to many college Freshman this is shocking behavior, but the fact that Jay was one of maybe 10 minority students TOTAL at this small private Christian college really put it over the top. People HATED this cat. But clearly he hated himself more. The story in this post reminded me of Jay, because I actually liked the dude when he let his front down, and you saw he was just an insecure guy in a pretty bleak landscape for someone like him. He didn't fit in at all.

But it gets worse. See below:

Born: October 20, 1967
    Crime: on July 31, 1991, murdered Joel Larson, 21; on August 10, 1991, murdered (former) State Senator John Chenoweth, 48, and wounded Cord Draszt, 19.
    Location of crime: Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Convictions: 2 counts-First degree murder, 1 count-attempted First degree murder.
    Sentences: 2 concurrent life terms plus 15 years and a day
    "I believe I was a very confused person. I wasn't exactly black or white, I'm half. And I don't belong specifically to the black community or the white community. I have gay preferences, but I don't really embrace the gay community -- I'm religiously hostile to them. There's a lot of contradictions there."

Jay Johnson was raised in a strict, religious household; his father was vice-president of enrollment at Bethel College & Seminary and often spoke openly against homosexuality. Johnson had high political aspirations -- he was also gay.

Conflicted about his sexual orientation, Johnson resorted to murder as a means to exorcise desires that the Christian church around him labeled immoral and worthy of death: "I was disgusted with what I was doing. And quite frankly, I just thought to myself, 'If I shut these places [parks where gay men met each other] down, my temptation to do that would be less.' I would think to myself, 'This is a constructive, moral thing to be doing.' And I certainly didn't just come up with that idea. I watched The 700 Club sometimes with Pat Robertson -- they're constantly talking about gays."

Johnson had ambitions to be a notorious serial killer and succeeded in killing two gay men and wounding one before being arrested. Ironically, one of his victims, former State Senator John Chenoweth, was a politician whose homosexual orientation was not well known. Johnson wanted to terrify the local St. Paul/Minneapolis gay and lesbian community and wrote a public letter which laid out his plans, signing the six-page manifesto, "The AIDS Commission." Johnson kept a personal journal in which he described how this goal became even stronger when he was diagnosed as HIV positive.

Jay's problems stemmed from self-hatred and denial. He could have been a real asset, but he favored himself a detriment. Identity is powerful in the positive and negative, folks....these stories are truly tragic because they simply pile on misery and lies with no relief.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo,

When people ask me what I am, I just say Canadian - Sometimes, its better to keep shit on the DL. Also, it spares you from having discussions you don't feel like having.

Well, having mixed kids I can sympathize with some of the complications that come along regarding family, etc.

graf, out of curiosity, how do your children self-identify? Do they consider themselves Black?

I am curious because several of my White friends have expressed complete surprise when I mention that children my wife and I might have would be Black, period. I realize that it's not that simple, and we are not there yet, but I would rather them have a foundational identity and draw their own conclusions from there. If they choose to not accept that there is little a parent can do, but I figure the world we live in(my in-laws, my family as well) will see them that way they may as well grow up in that realization. My ideas on this are not completely rigid, however and I accept that many things come into play, but that's why I am asking the question.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    white people in most parts of the country are just told they're "white" or "american". Only in places like New York City, Chicago, and SF or LA (less and less) do I get actual ethnicity/nationality from white folks when asked. Many people ask me what I am, and are confused by "eastern european" or "half Ukranian, quarter Polish, quarter everything else" or "half Jewish half Orthodox" ... but they would be satisfied with "white".

So true... I don't know any whities who identify themselves with a specific ancestral background... growing up my mom would tell me I was a 'mutt'... which was easier than saying Finnish with a bunch of other shit in the mix

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

I am curious because several of my White friends have expressed complete surprise when I mention that children my wife and I might have would be Black, period.

We've had this discussion a few times and he's always insisting that the kid(s) will be black, even though only one of my parents is African American. He's also certain that they will still qualify for minority scholarships, too.) Me, on the other hand, only hope I don't get mistaken for the West Indian nanny.

I've pretty much resigned myself to thinking that any kid of mine will just end up being an ethnically ambiguous "beige," as my little sister suggested when she was 15 and things were getting serious...You know I won't stand for any of that tragic mulatto shit, though.

My gut is telling me that I doubt they will strongly identify as black unless we live in Atlanta or something, and D****l insists on dragging them to "high culture" events like cruising Lenox Mall every weekend.

I am curious because several of my White friends have expressed complete surprise when I mention that children my wife and I might have would be Black, period.

We've had this discussion a few times and he's always insisting that the kid(s) will be black, even though only one of my parents is African American. He's also certain that they will still qualify for minority scholarships, too.) Me, on the other hand, only hope I don't get mistaken for the West Indian nanny.

I've pretty much resigned myself to thinking that any kid of mine will just end up being an ethnically ambiguous "beige," as my little sister suggested when she was 15 and things were getting serious...You know I won't stand for any of that tragic mulatto shit, though.

My gut is telling me that I doubt they will strongly identify as black unless we live in Atlanta or something, and D****l insists on dragging them to "high culture" events like cruising Lenox Mall every weekend.

I told my wife tonite that we could just tell the kids Daddy is Black but had that terrible disease known as 'Reversa Melanisma'..."try not to say anything around him about it, he just breaks into disscusions about race".

• A-ight, so he has a skin disease... that explains the perpetual tan. How the FUCK does Mother Myers explain the fuckin' afro on this n*gga's head???
    I know hommie broke a lot of combs in the Myers' household, that's probably why they had a problem with his black ass.

A-ight, so he has a skin disease... that explains the perpetual tan. How the FUCK does Mother Myers explain the fuckin' afro on this n*gga's head???
    I know hommie broke a lot of combs in the Myers' household, that's probably why they had a problem with his black ass.

LOL
    Phil, that's the first thing my wife commented on...