John Howard Abdnor Involvement

Rod_TorfulsonRod_Torfulson 464 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Pulled this out of the "oddball" bin yesterday, what is the story? One pretty cool track, vocals are irritating on most of the rest. Looks way better than it sounds. I couldn't find much about it, just two copies on gemm with no info.

Comments

• John was previously half of a duo who recorded for the same label (Abnak), Jon & Robin. Their hit was 1967's flower-pop "Do It Again Just A Little Bit Slower."

I think Abdnor was also the label owner's son.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Abnak

• OK, thanks. Cover is so bizzare, I needed some info. I've seen some other stuff on Abnak, isn't there at least one good record? Or am I thinking of something else? Regardless, i like the part that starts with him talking about being taken back to the funny farm.

• wes/diplo did a good record check on that when turntable lab used to still have that whole section up.
    what the fuck happened to that ?????

• Perhaps that still resided in my drug addled brain, because I used to look at that shit all the time. I checked to see if it was coming back for quite a while, but no such luck.

• I've seen some other stuff on Abnak, isn't there at least one good record?

I can think of more than just one, and I'll start at the top with the pride of Dallas, TX, the Five Americans. They were Abnak's biggest act with a string of mid-sixties hits like "Western Union," "Zip Code," and the punk-as-fuck "I See The Light." Garage-rock; they went back and forth between a Monkees-style pop sound and a hard Sonics thing.

Bobby Patterson is key, too. He's a soul singer and songwriter who recorded for Abnak's Jetstar subsidiary. Sundazed released a really good compilation of his recordings from this time.

"Dance Franny Dance" is the only song I've ever heard by the Floyd Dakil Combo, but if you're into frat-rock, I'd check that out as well.

Also, I'm surprised someone at Atlantic Records didn't sue Abnak over their label design. (Or did they?)

• as a general rule, IMO, Abnak is not worth much as a label. Jetstar is generally increbile though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    the Five Americans. They were Abnak's biggest act with a string of mid-sixties hits like "Western Union," "Zip Code," and the punk-as-fuck "I See The Light."

Same tune as Music Exposions' "I See the Light"?? If so, who wrote it?

• the Five Americans. They were Abnak's biggest act with a string of mid-sixties hits like the punk-as-fuck "I See The Light."

Same tune as Music Exposions' "I See the Light"??

It's not, although the singers on both records sound pissed-off.