Beatnut Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Yo Thes, what about "The Dig" off of O.S.T.? "43 Labels I Like" is dope, but The Dig is that shit

Serious....

the first time i heard the choir-ey vocals in the chorus...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    favourite beatnuts rmxs

Jomanda "I Like It"
    Da Lench Mob "Ain't Got No Class"
    MC Lyte "Ruffneck"
    Chi-Ali "Funky Lemonade"

Da Youngstas "Wild Child" (yeah, I said it....)

Also, add on "Top Notch" and "Walk Like Duck" by Kurious (not remixes) as some more Beatnuts sickness.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, Beatnuts early work is awesome. I wish more DJs played their stuff out here.

Their sample selection even today is still pretty bugged though. If they've contributed anything, it would be... "Yo, chill out and just listen to the whole record bitch!"

"Story" is a great example of that. I remember copping that Chris Hinze album for about ??1 quite a few years back when I was going through one of my fusion/jazz-rock phases, because it looked like it might have some heat. It sat in a pile of records to be listened to for a few weeks, and I threw it on when I was doing some domestic duties one afternoon. I think it's about two-thirds through "Easy Answering" when you hear the "Story" loop, and I remember thinking, "Fucking hell, they sat through all this just to catch that one bar?" It made me realise how weak my needle-dropping, "no open breaks at the front, so on to the next one" method really was.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I bought "Intoxicated Demons" and "Van Full Of Pakistans" on the same day back in 1993 and loved that shit from the beginning. I'd rather listen to either of those records than anything that has come out this year by far. The Beatnuts (and Gangstarr) are the reason I first started trying to find out about samples and are directly responsible for me being on this message board at 9:30 am.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    BTW what the hell is Stone Crazy OG? Pm me if ya know..
    hey, i heard it was from the "A Sea for Yourself" OST, which is already high up on my want list

Yep it's off that OST. Aussie shit.

peace.

• no equal is my all time favorite beatnuts track

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I bought "Intoxicated Demons" and "Van Full Of Pakistans"[/b] on the same day back in 1993 and loved that shit from the beginning. I'd rather listen to either of those records than anything that has come out this year by far.

Please be serious.

One of my favorite groups of all time and pretty much my first series of OH SHI* samples on the first (street level) LP

Rass, Serge, Honky Tonk, etc.

cosign. not only are the beats ridiculous, but anyone who can make like six albums rapping only about smoking herb, fucking bitches, getting drunk, and toting guns is

they are some of the all-time greats.

then ju's got that weird moment of clarity where he's talking about "n****s feed their ego but dont feed theyre children." all up in the club moeting it, acting like allah aint sweatin it.

you talking about the one w/ deadprez? that beat was hot.

The rhyme tripdub quoted is off the Al Tariq album. I remember an interview from the time where Ju was complaining that Fash/Al Tariq had led him to believe that the whole album was going to be on some conscious schitt, and then when it wasn't Ju seemed mad, like Fash had "fooled" him into dropping a conscious rhyme.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I bought "Intoxicated Demons" and "Van Full Of Pakistans"[/b] on the same day back in 1993 and loved that shit from the beginning. I'd rather listen to either of those records than anything that has come out this year by far.

Please be serious.

So, do you by any chance still have a copy of the vinyl LP available for trade/sale?

I surely haven't been knocking down doors to get it, but I've always wanted one.

The singles I've had are clean and thus

Please be serious.

So, do you by any chance still have a copy of the vinyl LP available for trade/sale?

I surely haven't been knocking down doors to get it, but I've always wanted one.

Please be serious--I've never owned that crap.

The only people I've ever encountered outside of SoulStrut that were into this group = women that were dating dudes in the crew

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

The rhyme tripdub quoted is off the Al Tariq album. I remember an interview from the time where Ju was complaining that Fash/Al Tariq had led him to believe that the whole album was going to be on some conscious schitt, and then when it wasn't Ju seemed mad, like Fash had "fooled" him into dropping a conscious rhyme.
    You're talking about the album he (Tariq) did after he turned Muslim.
    Was that album any good? I was hesitant to cop when it was released.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    No ID "State To State"

If you dont like the beatnuts you don't like rap music.

You're talking about the album he (Tariq) did after he turned Muslim.

Was that album any good? I was hesitant to cop when it was released.

Good production (mostly Beatnuts), but far from essential.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    the source only gave intoxicated demons 3 mics because of said lyrical deficiency. Yet if you listen to comparable albums of that time, lyrically intoxicated demons surely stood out much better than most if not all albums from 93.
    To be fair, in the next issue there was an erratum, stating that the EP should have been given 3.5 mics, but they made a technical mistake.

Please be serious.

The only people I've ever encountered outside of SoulStrut that were into this group = women that were dating dudes in the crew

So you're inordinately angry and you don't know that many people...maybe those 2 bits of a sad a reality are even related.

Anyway, thanks at least for letting me know that you've never owned that crap.

Please be serious.

So you're inordinately angry and you don't know that many people...maybe those 2 bits of a sad a reality are even related.

Anyway, thanks at least for letting me know that you've never owned that crap.

'Shied I could personally know half the population of metropolitan Atlanta, and it wouldn't appreciably increase the number of YSS fans of my acquaintance.

In the real world--this would be the world where nobody listens to Project Blowed, either--nobody liked YSS.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    If you dont like the beatnuts you don't like rap music

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Please be serious.

I knew someone was going to call me out on that one. I'm not surprised it's you Faux since you have a well expressed dislike for most hip/hop that falls on the less serious side of the scale, and maybe I left it open for people to misinterpret that I think YSS are the equal of the Beatnuts. They definitely aren't. But back in '93 I enjoyed both of those LP's equally, and I knew plenty of people here in Brooklyn who did as well. People were open to that kind of shit back then, which is something I miss.

• ill rhymes, iller beats and thay gave Greg Nice his 2nd wind

BTW...I like the "commercial" records, too. "Watch out now" and "Off the books" -

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    In one fell swoop, Ya'll So Stupid managed to both give themselves one of the worst group names ever conceived AND do the same for their album title.

That said, I always liked the title track and still do.

RG: if you are looking for any of the group's vinyl, my experience has been that both the "Van Full" 12" and LP seem to be fairly easy to come by and never for very much.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    lets not forget Fat Joes "Watch the Sound" as far as Nuts remixes go

in my top 5 of fav rap groups of all time

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I definitely understand you on this one...The name was indeed ridiculous. But the album is a jawn. At least for me. The LP is filled with nice samples. "monkey off my back" was the shit. Now there was a few alternative cuts "?? la Digable Planets" that i didn't feel, but overall, the LP was bangin' back then. It may ave not passed the test of the time for some, but i would not rate it bad if i had to rate it.

With that said, here's me Beatnuts Top 5 remixes :
    -"Ruffneck" MC Lyte (in case people need a 101 on filtered basslines)
    -"I Like It" Jomanda (it was the only r&b track in my set back then...lol!)
    -"Watch The Sound" Fat Joe (i bought it for the remix and the instru was a fav)
    -It's On" N.B.N (another track i used to spin the shit out of...)
    -"Shade Bizness" P.M.D. (quiet a rare 12" to catch back then)

And my Beatnuts Top 5 tracks from LP :
    -"No Equal"
    -"Fuck, Drink Beers and Smoke Some Shit"
    -"Do You Believe"
    -"Lick The Pussy"
    -"Superbad"

RG: if you are looking for any of the group's vinyl, my experience has been that both the "Van Full" 12" and LP seem to be fairly easy to come by and never for very much.

I been had the Van Full and 85 South singles.

And as far as the LP, I don't just want any copy. I want faux's abandoned copy.

How old was faux in '93 anyway?

• "Off the books" -

"Off the books" -

"Off the books" -

"Off the books" -

"Off the books" -

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

Don't forget about "Thinkin' Bout Cash".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• aint nobody fuckin with the Beatnuts for real.

Ju Ju got lines for days and the conviction that you cant put a price on.

The fucking J-lo diss was the greatest.

"you cant even sing and your no "

Probably the worst live hip hop show I have ever seen tho......

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If you dont like the beatnuts you don't like rap music.

Get the Fusk outta here

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    ha

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    aint nobody fuckin with the Beatnuts for real.

GTFUSKOHWYB

• aint nobody fuckin with the Beatnuts for real.

GTFUSKOHWYB

You don't like beats.