MC5 with Sun-Ra's Arkestra!!!

asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
They played tonight at UCLA's Royce Hall and I had a chance to catch it with my girl and friends. Let me just say... I don't know if I'll ever see another show that will top this evening's perfomance.+ (-2 OG members)=

Comments

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Could you elaborate a bit more on what it was like? What kind of stuff were they playing? It sounds interesting to me, but I've read one review which wasn't too positive:
    http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=16741

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    why arent they going to sf?

I would be willing to bet that was a VSOP (very special one-time performance).

Wayne Kramer can get down with the free jazz, no doubt. One of the reasons the 5 were so unique and why when young bucks try to copy the MC5 sound, that it sounds so hollow in a modern rock context. There was a lot of ideas and sounds bubbling in the MC5 stew.

Asprin, I am officially jealous.

• why arent they going to sf?

Wayne Kramer can get down with the free jazz, no doubt. One of the reasons the 5 were so unique and why when young bucks try to copy the MC5 sound, that it sounds so hollow in a modern rock context. There was a lot of ideas and sounds bubbling in the MC5 stew.

No that same line-up played in Central Park last month. I missed it though

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    why arent they going to sf?

No that same line-up played in Central Park last month. I missed it though

Damn! You gotta tell me about shit like this! That's road-trip-take-off-from-work-type shit right there!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Let me also say that MC5 is one loud ass band. That shit was a sit down event but by thier second song, 3 folks had gotten up off thier seat and went up to the stage, much to the dismay of the ushers. With each additional song, more and more people came up and the ushers did thier best to hold them aside. So when the band gave a shout out to the members that had passed away, someone in the crowd goes "if they were here, they'd want us to dance so why can't we?".....Shit was getting tense. Next thing you know, Lisa Ray who's on stage singing with them goes "I don't see no handcuffs on your ankles, if you wanna dance then get up and dance".

100's of people rushed to the stage, usher were overwhelmed and backed down from trying to control the crowd, one even tripped and fell while running from one end to the other. Shit was bonkers.

The evening was wrapped up with an all out jam that had the Arkestra and MC5 doing a 10 minute song about space and the planets and shit.

I definitely felt like I was witnessing some sort of historical event that was not going to be repeated. Seeing The Arkestra alone would have sufficed as Marshall Allen is doing a super job leading the band.

• Let me also say that MC5 is one loud ass band. That shit was a sit down event but by thier second song, 3 folks had gotten up off thier seat and went up to the stage, much to the dismay of the ushers. With each additional song, more and more people came up and the ushers did thier best to hold them aside. So when the band gave a shout out to the members that had passed away, someone in the crowd goes "if they were here, they'd want us to dance so why can't we?".....Shit was getting tense. Next thing you know, Lisa Ray who's on stage singing with them goes "I don't see no handcuffs on your ankles, if you wanna dance then get up and dance".

100's of people rushed to the stage, usher were overwhelmed and backed down from trying to control the crowd, one even tripped and fell while running from one end to the other. Shit was bonkers.

The evening was wrapped up with an all out jam that had the Arkestra and MC5 doing a 10 minute song about space and the planets and shit.

I definitely felt like I was witnessing some sort of historical event that was not going to be repeated. Seeing The Arkestra alone would have sufficed as Marshall Allen is doing a super job leading the band.

I saw Michael Ray and the Cosmic Crew at a little spot called Jimmie's during Jazzfest in New Orleans in 96. They had that guitarist and keyboardist from the hippie jam band Phish come out and play with them. They played that Visiting other planets shit. It blew my skull wide open. It's the one where they land on Venus and shit right Asparin?

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    It's the one where they land on Venus and shit right Asparin?

YEP!

• "I don't see no handcuffs on your ankles, if you wanna dance then get up and dance".

Damn, I would have loved to have seen that.
    Funny how people just need to be reminded, "hey, you're free"

• Funny how people just need to be reminded, "hey, you're free"

• Sorry...no Rob Tyner, no Sonic Smith = NO MC5...