Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    nice. thanks.

Basically it was 'Rappers Delight' - you know that was made from Chic 'Good Times'. Actually both songs were derived from what we call the original Rappers Delight - it's a Brazilian record that was out in the 70's.

anyone know bout this?

• Dope, that's the shit right there... Underappreciated.
    Glad he never went the route of all the other Hilltop knuckleheads. No mention of that, shame.
    Now where is Grand Dragon K.D.???

DJ Wiz, Tat & D-Nice from D-Nice's excellent Blog... http://www.d-nice.com/journal/

• nice. thanks.

Basically it was 'Rappers Delight' - you know that was made from Chic 'Good Times'. Actually both songs were derived from what we call the original Rappers Delight - it's a Brazilian record that was out in the 70's.

anyone know bout this?

DJ Cash Money told me something about this too. No disrespect to Cash or Tat, but I can't help but believe this is an urban legend until I see it / hear it for myself.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Dope, that's the shit right there... Underappreciated.

Glad he never went the route of all the other Hilltop knuckleheads. No mention of that, shame.

Now where is Grand Dragon K.D.???

DJ Wiz, Tat & D-Nice from D-Nice's excellent Blog... http://www.d-nice.com/journal/

DJ Wiz is a real cool dude. I had a chance to meet him waaaay back when at an Arsenio Hall show.

Noz and Phill, I think THIS is the song Tat was talking about. I don't have any info on it (I'm sure Aser or some other Brazillian folls will know) but it was on a Monk One mix for TTLab.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Noz and Phill, I think THIS is the song Tat was talking about. I don't have any info on it (I'm sure Aser or some other Brazillian folls will know) but it was on a Monk One mix for TTLab.

hmmm... i dunno, this hardly proves chronology. sounds more like a cover of 'good times'/'rappers delight' than the other way around. anyone got a date on this joint? either way it's a nice cut, thanks.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I was thinking the same thing. Which is more likely, Chic covering an obscure group from Brasil or the other way around?

I can't imagine what other Brasillian version of "Rappers Delight" he could be talking about though.

• Noz and Phill, I think THIS is the song Tat was talking about. I don't have any info on it (I'm sure Aser or some other Brazillian folls will know) but it was on a Monk One mix for TTLab.

Cool... what we have here is just a brazilian remake of Rapper's Delight, though. There is no way that this record came before Good Times AND the Sugarhill Gang record AND Love Deluxe "Here Comes That Sound". Thanks for the clip, though, Day. At least now I see exactly what it is they were talking about.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Cool... what we have here is just a brazilian remake of Rapper's Delight, though. There is no way that this record came before Good Times AND the Sugarhill Gang record AND Love Deluxe "Here Comes That Sound". Thanks for the clip, though, Day. At least now I see exactly what it is they were talking about.

exactly...the liner notes in the CD (Monk's Dream) say its a cover of Rapper's Delight...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Well, looks like I've been

I want to know the deal now with what Tat was talking about.

• Well, looks like I've been

I want to know the deal now with what Tat was talking about.

I think that is what Tat was talking about, he just has his facts wrong. "Good Times" is the creation of Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers, no question- they didn't bite that song from anybody else.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    nice. thanks.

anyone know bout this?

DJ Cash Money told me something about this too. No disrespect to Cash or Tat, but I can't help but believe this is an urban legend until I see it / hear it for myself.

This was running in the basement at Phonica Records in Soho last month. Amongst some pretty amazing flyers and photos (including one of Cold Crush performing live, with the Eagles beat peeping out of the top of Charlie Chase's crate), they had some super-rare vinvl framed and mounted on the wall. Amongst them were a bunch of international releases of "Rapper's Delight" - UK, German, French pressings, etc. - including a Brazilian record which could possibly have been a cover version, rather than a local pressing. Maybe someone's come across this at some point and assumed the Chic/Sugarhill versions were covers of this, rather than the other way round? It's hard to imagine that a record which was a huge international hit over 25 years ago wouldn't have attracted some legal action if it was a rip-off of something else - Chic didn't waste any time suing Sugarhill for jacking "Good Times" after all.

Some more shots here.

• That's a great pic right there. Pretty easy to see where Run DMC got a lot of their style from.