Gary Higgins in Vice magazine

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Check the new Vice magazine for a little Gary Higgins interview. I realize this mag can be harsh but they do some cool stuff as well.

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    More details plaese. Is it a standard interview with him?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Unfotunatley all thier interviews are very short. They get some good people too........I'm board so here you go. I also have to big up Jive Time records and RJ and Scott. They are the orgininators that hipped drag city to this LP.

Gary Higgins is lucky that this whole six organs of admittance folky psycish thins came into vogue, but all these kids are also luck that dudes like Gary existed because they wouldn't have had ideas without the hip dads like Gary here. It's the gradfather paradox, man. Or like the chicken and the egg, or maybe not. I'm pretty high right now.

Gary Went into jail in the 70's on a weed-possesion rap, but right before he did he recorded this beautiful smokey album full of soft and mellow soulful jams. It was almost lost to the ages but this dude at Drag City found it and they put it back out. Now Gary is touring the country and young dudes with beards are loving it.

V:So tell me the truth are you a real live baby boomer?

G: In the strictest sense yes. But it's a very large group of folks that in fact had and now have very differnet views of things. So I am by virtue of birth date, if nothing else.

V:But you didn't connect with that whole nostalgia thing that the boomers based their entire lives on in the 80's, did you? You seem cooler than that.

G:Yeah, I guess I missed the nostalgia bit. I did see the Big Chill and I liked the movie but never made the connection to and apparent (you said it) nostalgia movement. A very large portion fo this group was way too bust trying to survive to get to teary eyed.

V:Yeah Yea. I'm just talking about the douches who were putting out movies and doing TV shoes like 30something. What do you see in the future of the boomers?

G: I see a great flourish of nursing homes...with no one available to work in them and to look after us since we sent all our children off to law school, where they will be litigating the neglect charges in the health care system, clogging the courts. But of course they will call frequently on thier cell-phones promising a Christmas visit.

V:I plan on taking care of my parents way better than they took care of me. What are the best and worst the boomers have wrought?

G: The best things are rock and rool and it's peripherals as the building blocks of pop future and the civil rights movement. The worst? Disco and reality TV (or George W), they are about the same anyway, aren't they?

JUNE SPRIG

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    There was a in studio and interview on wfmu thats archived also. It was aired right around when the album was reissued. He talks about playing with Simeon from Silver Apples and others in the NY music scene.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    There was a in studio and interview on wfmu thats archived also. It was aired right around when the album was reissued. He talks about playing with Simeon from Silver Apples and others in the NY music scene.

Any chance you could post a link? Thanks!