Common's second "resurrection"???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Has Kanye West returned Common back to form? I've listened the BE LP a couple of times and I haven't returned to it.None of my boys talk about it. This collabo was supposed to blow the fuck up.................. No street buzz.

Comments

• No street buzz.

Is there a coffee shop buzz?

• No street buzz.

Is there a coffee shop buzz?

got the poetry slams goin' nuts.

• Has Kanye West returned Common back to form?
    For kids who dream about 1994.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    i don't think he's returned to form but its most definitely his best shit since resurrection...

"all i see is coffe shop chicks and white dudes..." someone has to pay the bills.

• i don't think he's returned to form but its most definitely his best shit since resurrection...

"all i see is coffe shop chicks and white dudes..." someone has to pay the bills.

yup..

but yo...Like Water For Chocolate had some heat as well.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Has Kanye West returned Common back to form?

There isn't anything 1994 about that record. It sounds DISTINCTLY 2005 to me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i don't think he's returned to form but its most definitely his best shit since resurrection...

Wack beats factor into this?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    even with all the coffee shop nag champa filler, like water for chocolate is killin be. the primo joint and "dooinit" alone squash everything that kanye brought to the table.

Has Kanye West returned Common back to form?

Mel is just referencing my quote in another thread.

• even with all the coffee shop nag champa filler, like water for chocolate is killin be. the primo joint and "dooinit" alone squash everything that kanye brought to the table.

It's your world?
    Corners?
    The Intro joint?
    Be?

I think both albums are equal.

• even with all the coffee shop nag champa filler, like water for chocolate is killin be. the primo joint and "dooinit" alone squash everything that kanye brought to the table.

even with all the coffee shop nag champa filler, like water for chocolate is killin be. the primo joint and "dooinit" alone squash everything that kanye brought to the table.

No doubt.....

So the WEST production falls short?

Cosign

There was mad hype about Be, then it came out and........crickets and shit

No doubt.....

So the WEST production falls short?

I think the beats where good but I just felt the choruses/singing dudes made that shit stand out.

they say is my joint...

It's your world?
    Corners?
    The Intro joint?
    Be?

"Corners" is ST8 trash. Why that was elected as the first single baffles me.

• even with all the coffee shop nag champa filler, like water for chocolate is killin be. "heat"[/b] alone squashes[/b] everything that kanye brought to the table.

although i don't *hate* BE, i don't think any single song on it surpasses any of the good songs on previous albums.

It's your world?
    Corners?
    The Intro joint?
    Be?

"Corners" is ST8 trash. Why that was elected as the first single baffles me.

you must not like rap music.

naw j/k////I wasn't really into "corners" at firt but just listening to that shit and hearing how Common raps on that shit....wooooooooh.....it's like his voice is on some rhythmic syncopated instrument shit.

btw
    Resurection, probally my second all time favourite LP.

• awallawall 673 Posts

i agree. i saw the tour for that album and it was surprisingly good. live band w/a dj. i remember dude was rocking doubles of "open your eyes" along with the band for the chorus of "the light"

There was mad hype about Be, then it came out and........crickets and shit

Exactly.........................

• Has Kanye West returned Common back to form?

The post is called 'Common's second "resurrection"' and "BACK to [resurrection(?)] form" is mentioned; I guess I wasn't speaking specifically about BE but more to the idea that Common needs to keep re-making Resurrection.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

It's your world?
    Corners?
    The Intro joint?
    Be?

man, i remember getting really excited when i heard common rap. he has a pretty laid back flow but his delivery and content is such that you just get amped like watts in a riot and all that. I think "Dooinit" (as well as the 12" only tracks "Like They Used To Say" and "Car Horn", both of which really should've landed on that album) was the last cut that really had that effect on me.

"Corners" came close, but i think that was more that the beat knocked real hard than anything com was saying or doing. and aren't "Be" and "The Intro Joint" one in the same? or is there a different track called "Be" that i'm forgetting? I honestly downloaded Be when it leaked, listened to it a few times, downloaded the retail, listened to it once and never really checked for it again. in all fairness, i probably should revisit it before i fully shoot it down, but classic com's never been something that's needed a second listen to "get". so for that alone i can't really consider this album the return to form it's being hailed as. but i will give it another listen as soon as i can find the cd i burnt it on.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Resurection, probally my second all time favourite LP.

pre-99, it was in my top 3 but it fell down my list a few years ago. i stopped being able to get into half of the songs like i used to.

It's your world?
    Corners?
    The Intro joint?
    Be?

man, i remember getting really excited when i heard common rap. he has a pretty laid back flow but his delivery and content is such that you just get amped like watts in a riot and all that. I think "Dooinit" (as well as the 12" only tracks "Like They Used To Say" and "Car Horn", both of which really should've landed on that album) was the last cut that really had that effect on me.

"Corners" came close, but i think that was more that the beat knocked real hard than anything com was saying or doing. and aren't "Be" and "The Intro Joint" one in the same? or is there a different track called "Be" that i'm forgetting? I honestly downloaded Be when it leaked, listened to it a few times, downloaded the retail, listened to it once and never really checked for it again. in all fairness, i probably should revisit it before i fully shoot it down, but classic com's never been something that's needed a second listen to "get". so for that alone i can't really consider this album the return to form it's being hailed as. but i will give it another listen as soon as i can find the cd i burnt it on.

You ever get "Tekzilla?". A real dope cut. It was some bootleg from 2 years ago. Worth tracking down.

The intro is that joint that starts with an acoustic baseline and gooooooooes.

I don't get what is all this talk about "RESURECTION Part 2". Who cares really...that was an incredible album that he already did. Of course "Be" is not as good as Resurection (that shit came out in our heyday, nothing today will make us feel as good. maybe close but never the same) but it's still a really good album from begining to end.

• i don't think he's returned to form but its most definitely his best shit since resurrection...

yup..

I like BE better as a whole but LWFC had "heat", "dooonit", "nag champa" "thelonius" and nothing on BE is seeing those songs.

• Resurection, probally my second all time favourite LP.

pre-99, it was in my top 3 but it fell down my list a few years ago. i stopped being able to get into half of the songs like i used to.

I busted it out recently as was still "moved" by it. Pop's Rap is the only mistake on that album.

yup..

I like BE better as a whole but LWFC had "heat", "dooonit", "nag champa" "thelonius" and nothing on BE is seeing those songs.

you ever get the instrumental vinyl? I liked the LP a lot more afterwards (not to take away from the Common's lyrics)

fuck

I spent too much time in this thread (mega- )

• man, i remember getting really excited when i heard common rap. he has a pretty laid back flow but his delivery and content is such that you just get amped like watts in a riot and all that. I think "Dooinit" (as well as the 12" only tracks "Like They Used To Say" and "Car Horn", both of which really should've landed on that album) was the last cut that really had that effect on me.

Common was my favorite MC[/b] for years. Now it's been several years since I've been really impressed by anything he did. I listened to BE in its entirety the other day (for the first time). It was cool, but nothing more than cool. I'll have to listen to it more, but I never had to force myself to listen to Com's earlier stuff.

yup..

you ever get the instrumental vinyl? I liked the LP a lot more afterwards (not to take away from the Common's lyrics)

fuck

C'mon hommie. I got the beat tape versions! lol I actually a slightly different version of the album on tape that has Bilal singing on "Ghetto Heaven". It serves the one on the album.

• Jay Dee was supposed to handle most of the production on BE until he got sick. I think it would have been a far better album had he done more tracks. Maybe less pre release hype, but probably more post release hype.

yup..

fuck

C'mon hommie. I got the beat tape versions! lol I actually a slightly different version of the album on tape that has Bilal singing on "Ghetto Heaven". It serves the one on the album.

I guess I'm not "connected" enough. Morse Code has gotten his hands on some recent beat cd's....the dude has a lot of ill shit from a few years ago still unused. His new shit is on some other stuff. A lot of electronic/moog type samples, real gully.