Those on the search for a job... do they exist?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it's nearly impossible to find a real 9-5 on this island without a hook up

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I doubt I'll enjoy a 9-5 I specifically pick out.

I wonder what % of people actually enjoy their 9-5.

Work is work is work.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Dude...

All I can say as the best piece of advice I can give you...

It's not what you know! How great your resume looks unless you are tryin' to be Mr. Corporate! Even then, most of the time it???s...

WHO YOU KNOW.

Most of the jobs my friends get, is because they knew someone, or that person knew someone...

It really does make the world go round.

I love my job right now. I got it through a friend. Fuck all that noise about sending out 1000 resumes. Most of the time they don't even look at them. That job is going to someone through someone else!!! They just have to put it out there to look official.

Don't get me wrong. I know a lot of people are hired that way. IME the jobs I see go by someone you know.

But yeah, keep pounding the payment sort of speak???

• I doubt I'll enjoy a 9-5 I specifically pick out.

I wonder what % of people actually enjoy their 9-5.

Work is work is work.

If it was fun it wouldn't be called a job[/b]....

I started out with a shit job (part time paste up artist on the overnight shift and my facility with computers (and the reluctance of all the old timers to go near them) got me much better jobs (in newspaper production and eventually information tech) down the line. A combination of luck and hard work (that spanned 20 years).

If I had my druthers I'd go back, finish college and study programming, and skip about 12 of those 20 years...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

It's not what you know! How great your resume looks unless you are tryin' to be Mr. Corporate! Even then, most of the time it???s...

WHO YOU KNOW.

Funny thing is that recently we needed a job filled. We decided to not go with the usual "someone we know" type shit. We put out ads, contacted schools etc...

NOONE FUCKING APPLIED! I was a great job, Administraive assistant: 40 hours/week; Full benefits; profit sharing; $17-22/hr pay to start etc.

And The job is FUCKIN EASY ST MAN. But for real. Noone applied. Oh we got a few, but they were so bad that they didnt even count. No college Grads applied.

SO we went the "someone we know" route.

• $17-22/hr pay to start etc.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    What DOR said is right on the money. I've never gotten a job through sending a resume out. Contact everyone you know, even vaguely, and get them on the case.

Edit - that said, any toronto people who are engineers (not audio - telecom) or have friends who are - PM me!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    My advice for the green fellows right out of college is to go to a Temp Agency. At the time (6 years ago), I had pretty shitty typing skills and never used Excel in my life. I was making $300/week straight out the gate working in cushy law offices all around Boston answering phones and surfing the web. It eventutally allowed me to buy enough time so I could get my web design hustle down and what did I do? I transferred to Aquent (a web design temp agency) and landed a dope little job optimizing jpegs for an up and coming dot com entertainment web zine (that eventually sunk of course). This was during the .com craze, so I may have been real lucky...

My boy Steve (Otis Funkmeyer).. who a year and some change a go was working the welfare system -- living hand to mouth, skinny and yellow trying to be a funk DJ in Manhattan .. eventually wised up and got temping for cash and now has a perm position wearing khakis and punching numbers for peoples's investment portfolios. He now wants to be 6 figure Stock Market dude and has a hot girlfriend who he wants to marry. Dreams do come true.

WHO YOU KNOW.

Funny thing is that recently we needed a job filled. We decided to not go with the usual "someone we know" type shit. We put out ads, contacted schools etc...

NOONE FUCKING APPLIED! I was a great job, Administraive assistant: 40 hours/week; Full benefits; profit sharing; $17-22/hr pay to start etc.

And The job is FUCKIN EASY ST MAN. But for real. Noone applied. Oh we got a few, but they were so bad that they didnt even count. No college Grads applied.

I'm not saying it's right mind you... I'm just saying its the way of the world.

I bet most times it's probably way better to hire someone you don't know, cause it can sometimes fuck a relationship up if the person is a slacker or something along those lines!

I am a bit shocked that knowbody applied for that position tho... Crazy!!!

YEah, what else I did was take a shitty job in an office building (food department) in order to meet people who might further my career. and it paid off. Once again, go where the professionals are: temp agencies, etc... will get you there.

WHO YOU KNOW.

I'm not saying it's right mind you... I'm just saying its the way of the world.

I bet most times it's probably way better to hire someone you don't know, cause it can sometimes fuck a relationship up if the person is a slacker or something along those lines!

I am a bit shocked that knowbody applied for that position tho... Crazy!!!

I know! We were just as shocked. I mean the job was right there. We sent it to Universities to get some new grads. Nada. Like I said we got people who never went to college.

I dont know if people just didnt trust it, like too good to be true, must be a scam or something

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Internships are the only way to get your foot in the door.

But besides that.

Judging from your posts and general demeneor I would say you're fucked.

A good friend of mine back in the day just called up a major label once and asked if they needed intern help. He ended up just stuffing envelopes (for nothing) in the beginning and 7-8 years later is still working there but is in charge of his own department. Getting paid...

Just get urself in the door By Any Means Necessary and then let your work speak for itself. Either that or crash n burn!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

WHO YOU KNOW.

My advice is to do what you gotta till you find what you want. And if you can find a mind-number that's easy and maybe even opens some doors for you(you meet people, hence the 'who you know'). Seriously, most 'who you know' situations center around 'I used to work with this guy/gal, he/she is awesome, they're perfect for the job!'-type thing. Not saying it's fair, but it's hopefully based on someone knowing someone who has some qualifications.

So Graf- outside of a lucky break, try to find a job, or several, that will allow you some advancement opportunity, and hit the dues-paying mode. You have the education, but don't be afraid to do things you might be technically over-qualified for. When management stuff opens up, you will be there with your degree in hand, ready to go.

• This was during the .com craze, so I may have been real lucky...

90% right time right place I'd say. I went from $7/hr temp to $600 day rate within 2 years and none of it had anything to do with my bogus college degree, in fact it was all using HTML code I copied from the web. Ha! Fuck you Sothebys, MTV, TheGlobe.com, so glad I never took your stupid options.

• My advice for the green fellows right out of college is to go to a Temp Agency.
    My advice for the green fellows right out of college is to go to a Temp Agency.

• My advice for the green fellows right out of college is to go to a Temp Agency.

Thsi basically holds true, but these days you'll be competing with qualified people who can't find work. Eg, in NYC right now paralegals are fucked coz they have to compete with law school grads with JDs who can't get hired.

When the Bush economy took its first nosedive masses of college grads (who could afford it) went back to school to do masters. They are out again looking for jobs that aren't really there.

That said, I have turned down 2 jobs in the last 3 months but that's a far dry from 5 years ago when you practically had to get restraining orders against recruiters.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• Seems like the consensus for the Soulstrut collective is to start networking.

• jobs don't exist. The my first real job after college put me in the worst position possible because my then boss knew the market and how desperate people were. Then went the temp route, got assigned to a place that promised they would hire me in 3 months... a year later the temp agency is still getting 1/3 of my check while I'm trying to live on pancake mix. raj, you got lucky, imagine graduating in '03.

anyone need a graphic / web designer / videographer / editor?

PAY ME!

• My advice for the green fellows right out of college is to go to a Temp Agency. At the time (6 years ago), I had pretty shitty typing skills and never used Excel in my life. I was making $300/week straight out the gate working in cushy law offices all around Boston answering phones and surfing the web. It eventutally allowed me to buy enough time so I could get my web design hustle down and what did I do? I transferred to Aquent (a web design temp agency) and landed a dope little job optimizing jpegs for an up and coming dot com entertainment web zine (that eventually sunk of course). This was during the .com craze, so I may have been real lucky... .

$300 a week is not much. $300 a week x 50 weeks = $15,000.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what did you go to school for? i mean subject, not justification

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    dude.

real estate. open job market and the potential for lots of money. i have some friends that do it and it does not seem unbearable at all.
    good luck.

• i have an 8-7ish...well i usually show up around 9 but i have to say i love my job. i know there are a bunch of people here who hate their job so sorry to rub it in. i mean if i could live the easy life off my parents credit card i would probably enjoy that too, but for now that isn't happening, so for me to live, dig, and pay for my other passions (herb, paint, sculpture materials, gardening supplies) i do what i love the most. it is hard work. but i do feel rewarded when i am done. i dont think i would feel the same way pushing papers, calling customers, answering phones, etc...

i have two recommendations for your job search. go through your professors. if you just came out of school you still have some contact with them. either they are in the real world too, or if they are academics i'm sure they have friends in the real world. ask them for help. get your name/resume passed around if possible. sometimes the campus has a job center, at my school it was pretty useless because most of the jobs were not in my field, but have a look. craigslist is also pretty good. i've had some sucess with that. my current job i found through craigslist. get in as many interview situations as you can. even if you don't want the job it is helpful to practice your interview skills when looking for a job. turn down jobs if you don't want them, but at least you had the job offer. and remember whatever job you take isn't the last job you will have in your life. take a job, learn from it. trust me you will still be learning. its good to do that on somebodies elses dollar. i tried to go out on my own soon after i graduated. after two projects i realized learned that i still had lots to learn, and it cost me time and money out of my own pocket.

sorry if this doesn't make sense. i just finished a deadline this morning. margaritas all lunch long. i guess this is my first drunken post.

• Margaritas for lunch? Go getter.

• dude.

real estate. open job market and the potential for lots of money. i have some friends that do it and it does not seem unbearable at all.

Seems like a high possibility of failure for most people there. Plus that doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for your average collector.

• A lot of good comments and advice going on here.

• i have an 8-7ish...well i usually show up around 9 but i have to say i love my job. i know there are a bunch of people here who hate their job so sorry to rub it in. i mean if i could live the easy life off my parents credit card i would probably enjoy that too, but for now that isn't happening, so for me to live, dig, and pay for my other passions (herb, paint, sculpture materials, gardening supplies) i do what i love the most. it is hard work. but i do feel rewarded when i am done. i dont think i would feel the same way pushing papers, calling customers, answering phones, etc...

No shame in being happy doing what you do. I think that's what everyone strives for.

And on the other tip, you'd be

• So close yet so far on the craigslist tip for you guys.
    ---

Professional Women who Smoke needed
    Reply to: [email]job-89823474@craigslist.org[/email]
    Date: 2005-08-09, 11:42AM CDT

PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE RESPONDING
    This is a female-domination themed fetish documentary.Domination is NOT prostitution.NO sex.No nudity,ever.
    For discretionary purposes,you may bring wigs,hats and/or glasses.
    If you can respond with a yes answer to ALL of the following questions,those chosen will earn $40.00-$80.00 per hour+ stipend for a minimum of two hours.Possibility of future shoots.The shoot will take place in an secure,upscale hotel in the area.Parking will be reimbursed for those hired.For your comfort,you may apply with a girlfiend.Some shoots will be with two+ women.NO men will be permitted at audition or on set.

THE QUESTIONS

Are you a well-dressed professional woman in her 40'-60's?(Younger need not apply)
    Are you height /weight proportioned?(Need not be beautiful,just chic)
    Do you have your own transportation?
    Do you own a skirted-business suit or two?
    Can you wear 4 inch stilletos comfortably?(Many shots are sitting with legs crossed)
    Do you have a noticable manicure? Does it match your lips?
    Do you regularly smoke at least a half-pack of cigarettes daily?
    Do you smoke an all-white slim 100 or 120 ?,Ex.V.Slims,Capri,Misty,More White 120's,Eve 120's.etc?
    Does your drag last more than two seconds?
    Do you exhale through your mouth? (No nose exhalers)

As mentioned,this project is fem/dom themed.Please completely read the following additional questions.

Are you willing to blow smoke in the face/eyes of an actor?
    Are you willing to tap ash into his hands/mouth/hair/underwear?
    Are you willing to repeatedly slap the actors face?
    Are you willing to lightly kick/or heel scrape the actor?
    Are you willing to verbally abuse the actor?
    Are you willing to have your feet kissed/toes sucked?

Regarding the pay range above.Those who wish only to sit and smoke will earn less than those open to the fem/dom theme.
    Please respond with a full length photo of you in business OR evening attire.Photos showing natural smoking poses encouraged(smoke like you normally do).
    This project represents power and elegance in today's women.Again,there will be NO sex or Nudity.
    Do Not Send Nude photos.Nudes will be deleted without a response.
    Include your most discreet contact number.Replies WITHOUT phone contact will be deleted.

* Compensation: $40-$80 per hour,+ stipend & parking
    * This is a part-time job.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My area (upstate NY) has plenty of HR jobs always being offered. I always thought to myself, who gets these jobs? It could be Grafwritah.... BUT, the job market in general is hella lame all around to reiterate everyone's points. How about:
    Construction-rewarding work and you (can) get hella paid
    job + eBay
    Courier for a law firm or big business
    My friend works for UPS and is making $55k+ in sales.

Peace
    T.N.