I'm back...

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Where's your cheerful moderator been for the last three weeks? Driving a U-Haul from Toronto to Montreal, boxing and loading 3500+ records, driving to Fredericton, New Brunswick, unloading those records, setting up an apartment, beginning law school, and all while struggling to get my sister out of New Orleans post-Katrina.

Let me first say that I was deeply touched upon my return to the Strut. What the community has done to raise money for victims of Katrina is absolutely stunning and makes me immensely proud. I have little doubt that the official response to this disaster will stand as the great shame of our generation, and possibly for many to come. I don't need a personal connection to New Orleans to feel this way; being a citizen of North America, and indeed the world, is enough to leave anyone outraged at the injustices and incompetence laid bare by this tragedy. Needless to say, that people like Soulstrutters have contributed so selflessly and constructively gives one hope.

OK, so despite being soufriere's old stomping grounds, Fredericton is in the middle of nowhere. It's pretty and quaint and a lovely little place, but it's a huge adjustment for me coming from a life spent in Toronto and Montreal to face the realities of town life in Atlantic Canada. Fortunately, I can hold my booze, otherwise the Newfoundlanders would already have me tarred and feathered. I'm optimistic about records, but I'm going certainly not going to be finding anything like I did in Quebec. So what does Fredericton look like?

My house:

Wee, I've got bay windows! Who's grown and sexy now?

Isn't that a sweet living room?

No loud music, though, or smoking 'the marijuana', my landlord banned them both (this is fredericton, after all)

I've got an expedit--no more cinder blocks and plywood for me, and now i'm really grown and sexy! Still, I had to stick the rest of the records in my WALK IN CLOSET! Hell yeah!

The real heat in Fredericton isn't the records...

As for Waxing Deep, we're back on the air next week in a comfortable weekly afternoon timeslot, possibly moving to an evening slot. 3-5 next Thursday Atlantic Time--that's 2-4EST. Nifty things are happening with Waxing Deep, so stay tuned.

I'm almost certainly the only soulstrutter in Atlantic Canada, so if anybody is even remotely near Fredericton, you are obliged to visit me. Come for the lobster, stay for the...well there's not much here at all.

To all the folks who've called my MTL number and thought I'd died, my new number is 506-454-4179. I'm going to need to do a lot of trading to keep a fresh supply of vinyl.

All that being said, I look forward to hatefully moderating the board during my tedious classes--wireless is the ultimate solution for the bored student! As a lazy person, it's brutal returning to school after time off. C'est la vie.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    If Fredricton is anything like Maine then you are in for some ill nature adventures (and cold ass winters of course).

There's one guy from New Bruswick who sells on eBay who kills it. So yes, yes records in F-Town?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Yo, D,

Phone me!!!

Peace

h

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Oh and damn you for leaving Montreal! Given the present state of digging up there I guess it's time to move to the next province.

• Na, he's in Moncton, two hours away from Fredericton and apparently even more brutal than this place. Fredericton's a quaint small town; Moncton, I'm told, is just a mall and some sprawl and some moose.

For real, the spiders out here are insane. When it stops raining I'm going to take some pictures of a pedestrian underpass that's straight up nightmarish. Apparently it's a local hotspot because everybody goes to look at this spiders.

• Do you still have the BOO record for me?

Where the fuck are you again? Newfoundland?

• welcome back Danno! you were missed. hope your sister is OK.

Kosher check?

wireless is the ultimate solution for the board student!

you said it.

As a lazy person, it's brutual returning to school after time off.

mayne I feel you! it's a daily struggle! keep your chin up.

i propose a soulstrut betting pool: how long before you get run out of town!?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Hey Danno! Nice place you got there. Welcome back.

PS: I will travel to Uruguay again soon, need a list of discos calientes!

• welcome back Danno! you were missed. hope your sister is OK.

Kosher check?

wireless is the ultimate solution for the bored student!

you said it.

As a lazy person, it's brutal returning to school after time off.

mayne I feel you! it's a daily struggle! keep your chin up.

i propose a soulstrut betting pool: how long before you get run out of town!?

I give myself a couple of weeks, max. The novelty of cheap lobster will wear off and then I'll say something stupid about the newfies and i'll find myself dumped somewhere in northern maine...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Welcome back, dood!!!!!!!!!

That lobster is scary looking.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Welcome back, dood!!!!!!!!!

That (thing we were talking about the other day) is STILL scary looking.

• No loud music, though, or smoking 'the marijuana', my landlord banned them both (this is fredericton, after all)

Where the fuck are you gonna beam Waxing Deep from then?

Oh, I get it, you're gonna play mix CDs while you chill on the porch. Kinda like Clearchannel.

• Clearchannel gave my six figures for Waxing Deep. They're gonna repackage it into urban AOR for their grown and sexy demographic.

The truth is even better! Waxing Deep has a new home on CHSR, the University of New Brunswick's station. The crazy thing is, they have better equipment than what i had back in Montreal. They are, however, on top of a hill and that sucks.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    No loud music or smoking 'the marijuana'

i could not live there.

oh, and welcome back.

• Options
    Oh and damn you for leaving Montreal! Given the present state of digging up there I guess it's time to move to the next province.

COld winters are a given, and so is a massive snowfall ( we had to climb out of our second floor window to make it to our exams!). I don't think they've ever cancelled school in that province. What, don't you got a snowmobile?

MOrd: Dan's landlord is an aberration, there's more pot smoking per capita in Fredericton than Toronto (and there's a lot going on here).

Nate: I bet he's closer to you there than Montreal. Calais Maine is only an hour and a bit away. Fredericton is close to Maine's North (bit Eastern) border. Got to get down to St Andrew's when you have time Dan.

Say hi to all my friends at the radio station (i.e. the albums I gave back). I'll be out to see you fo' sure.

KEvin in Toronto.

P.S. Try and find the francophone dealer in moncton who sets up the record fairs there. That's your ticket to raers. There's also a nice guy named Doug who sells at the Sunday flea Market held in Fredericton Mall (the ghetto-er of the 2 malls) on Prospect. Say hi to him for me if he's still there.

P.P.S. The Newfy girls will drink you until the table. Your only hope is to brownie 'em.

P.P.S. The Newfy girls will drink you until the table. Your only hope is to brownie 'em.

whoa!

• Options
    ..and don't sleep with the Wrestling teams girlfriends - they don't like that there.

K.

• Come for the lobster, stay for the...spiders

wow dan. i'll hit you up soon!

• Come for the lobster, stay for the...spiders

wow dan. i'll hit you up soon!

You'd better...

• Dan Money.
    Good luck out there man. Socially you should be able to get over just fine. Culturally? good f*cking luck man! I still got that Brian Barley record sitting here for you! Get at me!

sixtoo the speakerbruiser.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    MOrd: Dan's landlord is an aberration, there's more pot smoking per capita in Fredericton than Toronto (and there's a lot going on here).
    Dan's landlord is the apparent displacement of the position of a celestial body in the direction of motion of an observer on Earth, caused by the motion of Earth and the finite velocity of light?

cool.

• Options
    If anything Dan, the air is some of the freshest around and the campus is qite beautiful.

K.

• If anything Dan, the air is some of the freshest around and the campus is qite beautiful.

Everyone see that? It's beautiful. So no excuses for not coming to visit me. I also bake a mean pie...

I'll see you in the Spring, foo

• Hey Dan, i'm glad you made yourself a nice home in Fredericton. Now, where will I have to mail copies of "Les Soeurs Dessurreault" LP or any similar Qu??bec heat?

Does your McGill email still works?!

I'll be listening any more editions of Waxing Deep as usual.

How much would it cost me to call you in Fredericton?

Au revoir!

• Options
    Na, he's in Moncton, two hours away from Fredericton and apparently even more brutal than this place. Fredericton's a quaint small town; Moncton, I'm told, is just a mall and some sprawl and some moose.

Dan,

Moncton's a metropolis compared to Frederiction. Much more activity going on there - Fredericton is basically run by goverment workers and the Uni's. Plus it's a half hour from the beach.

Much more francophone content over there as well (Gui will be happy to know).

K.

• Kmoney
    Do you by any chance know the full story on the guy with that house full of records in Moncton? That place was one of the best spots on the east, I remember Jo telling me he might have died, or it closed of something...

Danno: You need to get in the know about the Greco Donair.

• Options
    Dude was an alcoholic - polished off a bottle of JD while I was there with Dean one time. THe washroom was a pipe/hole that went straight into the ground. If there's still a record fair in Moncton, I bet he's the guy behind. I think his name is Andre - I know where the house is in Moncton (bet I could still find it), but I seem to remember going back to a record fair there and him saying he'd moved them all to another house.

Best records in the Maritimes by far. I know a couple dudes in Fredericton area that knew him personally, so I could probably get a hold of him should I come visit Dan amd you. Road trip?

K.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Soulstrut = Danno's lifeline to civilization over the next 4 years (when not studying, of course ).

• K.
    Well worth making a road trip out there. You still coming though on the way to visit big D?
    Danno, let us know when your crib is couch-crashable and when your landlord lifts the ban on herb, we wanna smoke man!
    6.dicks

• My place is fairly big and I can easily accomodate two (with mattreses!), plus however many more want to avail themselves of the floor. Pot prohibition gets tested tonight, report to follow.