NRR - Red Cross rejected me

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
They finally got back to me about volunteering and they said they???re only taking people who have been previously trained in large-scale disaster relief (how much of the population does this apply to?). I told them that I was thinking about Christmas time as that???s when I have some decent number of days off work, when it won???t be so much about immediate disaster relief, but more support stuff ??? I told them I would even wrap presents for kids ??? and I still got turned down.Habitat for Humanity took my info for the future. They are organizing something for further down the line as they don't deal with disaster relief, but will be part of the re-building process.Just to cover the bases, if any of you know or hear about any organizations Stateside which are looking for volunteers PLEASE PM me with the info. Maybe going directly to the source is my best bet. I???ll do some research on-line as well.

Comments

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i had the similar experience with redcross. it was pretty disheartening.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    hmm... I heard a report on NPR last week where Red Cross was giving folks basic relief training in NC to send over there... ?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    hmm... I heard a report on NPR last week where Red Cross was giving folks basic relief training in NC to send over there... ?

it's just a refresher for folks who already have previous relief training.

i know they can't take anyone and everyone who wants to help, but there's gotta be some places that can organize the run-off - there is so much to do.

• youll probably run into this with just about every non-profit agency heading down there. they have to adhere to strict government monitoring. i mean to say, that if you volunteered to keep the home fires burning at your local red cross, that would be a more likely scenario and its still doing something in relief. youd be relieving the already qualified staff to leave home and head down south.

if you want to get on the frontlines of this disaster, you will have more luck linking up with churches or private organizations.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    youll probably run into this with just about every non-profit agency heading down there. they have to adhere to strict government monitoring. i mean to say, that if you volunteered to keep the home fires burning at your local red cross, that would be a more likely scenario and its still doing something in relief. youd be relieving the already qualified staff to leave home and head down south.

even locally you may run into the same problem, a friend of mine's mom wanted to volunteer at a local childrens hospital that had "refugees" from the katrina disaster, and they turned her away, and shes even a registered nurse. they have to do crazy background checks, etc. its all a government monitoring situation, not a they-dont-want-your-help situation

but to help out....is no one in your area conducting help drives? ie. canned food, clothing, money, supplies etc.

if they are, im sure they need as much assistance as possible. if they arent, theres your opportunity to help out. red cross will definately take donations of items if they dont take donations of time.

just an idea.

youll probably run into this with just about every non-profit agency heading down there. they have to adhere to strict government monitoring. i mean to say, that if you volunteered to keep the home fires burning at your local red cross, that would be a more likely scenario and its still doing something in relief. youd be relieving the already qualified staff to leave home and head down south.

even locally you may run into the same problem, a friend of mine's mom wanted to volunteer at a local childrens hospital that had "refugees" from the katrina disaster, and they turned her away, and shes even a registered nurse. they have to do crazy background checks, etc. its all a government monitoring situation, not a they-dont-want-your-help situation

but to help out....is no one in your area conducting help drives? ie. canned food, clothing, money, supplies etc.

if they are, im sure they need as much assistance as possible. if they arent, theres your opportunity to help out. red cross will definately take donations of items if they dont take donations of time.

just an idea.

i know i know...and unfortunately we donated a shit load of clothes and shoes just before this all happened and the other things I'm getting rid of are not what they're taking.

i feel a little disillusioned about the red cross and donating money to them.
    i called them because they are the biggest thing around and if anyone is organizing decent manpower work - it would be them. otherwise - i don't want to have anything to do with them - someone close to me has hep c thanks to a tainted transfusioncourtesy of the red cross.

basically, if i go down and do something, i know it's getting done. i'm not feeling too good about trusting others to get things done right now, you know?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

just an idea.

i know i know...and unfortunately we donated a shit load of clothes and shoes just before this all happened and the other things I'm getting rid of are not what they're taking.

i feel a little disillusioned about the red cross and donating money to them.
    i called them because they are the biggest thing around and if anyone is organizing decent manpower work - it would be them. otherwise - i don't want to have anything to do with them - someone close to me has hep c thanks to a tainted transfusioncourtesy of the red cross.

basically, if i go down and do something, i know it's getting done. i'm not feeling too good about trusting others to get things done right now, you know?

ya i totally understand. and definately sorry to hear about your friend, ive heard numerous stories about this (my girls mom works in a malpractice law office). shit is SO scary.

• Whoa, what a trip. I just got back from the local volunteer center where they turned me away due to the fact that they only need medical personnel. They referred me to a place called World something or other and when I called to ask them how I go about volunteering the first thing they asked was if it was for community service. I told 'em no and they said that I can just show up anytime, sign in and they'll put me to work in the warehouse. I understand that it all helps the greater cause, but I want to help PEOPLE, not move boxes around with a bunch of thugs and/or traffic violators, you know?

2 weeks ago, Red Cross asked me to do their 2-day training. They said they wouldn't actually use me for a couple months. Problem with that is I don't if I'll be able to take the time off when they need me. I'm available RIGHT NOW. (I didn't attend the training 'cause of that.)

Any suggestions? I can take either next week or the following week off, but I want to be able to do something or be useful to somebody.

Herm

the first thing they asked was if it was for community service
    beautiful.

oh for land's sake - heatrocks was not enough????

now soulstrut is going to have to start a volunteer organization, too?