How much should I charge for a wedding?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
BAsically, I'm being given a CD of "must-plays", other than that I am being asked to spin mellow stuff during dinner and then your standard dance material, disco, classics, hip-hop...I have to bring equip (rented) and set up and take down. Rental is being paid for by the folks hiring me.Thanks...

Comments

• I start at $500 and work up from there, depending on distance to the event and how long I have to play. But that's NC... NY people are all rich and shit so you should probably start at $750 or $1000. I don't care if I price myself out, either; if they don't wanna pay, I don't wanna do it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    $500, unless they're family. at some point you will regret saying yes. guaranteed.

• Yeah, except I am doing a gig for her friend for $200... which is steep (for a basic gig where I play what I like and get free drinks)... She is hoping I will be under $500 (her words)

:/

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Johnny,

I can rent you some equipment if you need. Anytime I do a gig and have to bring my shit, $500 + transportation is a bare minimum. I would shoot for $700.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I start at $500 and work up from there, depending on distance to the event and how long I have to play. But that's NC... NY people are all rich and shit so you should probably start at $750 or $1000. I don't care if I price myself out, either; if they don't wanna pay, I don't wanna do it.

That's been my philosophy, too. I'm up to close to $2,000 for a wedding now, which means I'm probably pretty damn close to pricing myself out of doing weddings. Which doesn't really bother me all that much.

• 1,000.00 bucks... A davis dj cost like $1800 for weddings..

http://www.davisdeejays.com

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    How much should I charge for a wedding?

If I should have known better, I would have charged my wife $1,000,000

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    you should probably start at $750 [/b]or $1000. I don't care if I price myself out, either; if they don't wanna pay, I don't wanna do it. [/b]

seriously, break it down at at least $50/hr(or what your area will support), and figure in travel, prep, consultation, and event time. Trust me, it will come to between $600-800. That way when they ask what they get, you can show the client a breakdown. Also list what equipment you will use(sound system/TTs/CDs/Mic/whatever) and what you DON't provide(lights/table/et) so that everyone has EVERYTHING spelled out in detail.

Oh, and if they have stuff they want you to play and offer to lend you those CDs, take them up on it. You'll be glad to save that money and not have to go in search of that ONE Garth Brooks song(that isn't even available on Napster!).

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I just ran all this stuff for my sister and her recent wedding. She's cheap and still had to dole out $800 for the gig.

LA (& NYC) will make you $$$

you should probably start at $750 [/b]or $1000. I don't care if I price myself out, either; if they don't wanna pay, I don't wanna do it. [/b]

seriously, break it down at at least $50/hr(or what your area will support), and figure in travel, prep, consultation, and event time. Trust me, it will come to between $600-800. That way when they ask what they get, you can show the client a breakdown. Also list what equipment you will use(sound system/TTs/CDs/Mic/whatever) and what you DON't provide(lights/table/et) so that everyone has EVERYTHING spelled out in detail.

Oh, and if they have stuff they want you to play and offer to lend you those CDs, take them up on it. You'll be glad to save that money and not have to go in search of that ONE Garth Brooks song(that isn't even available on Napster!).

sorry, I gave you advice on stuff you already mentioned.

• She is hoping I will be under $500 (her words)

LIL DUDETTE

at some point you will regret saying yes. guaranteed.

Make it worth your while. It's easier handling regret when you've got $1000 than when you've got $200.

$499.99

• dayday 9,611 Posts

John, I would NOT go below $500 unless it's family.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Davis deejays =

$499.99 (plus rider)

She is hoping I will be under $500 (her words)

LIL DUDETTE

Make it worth your while. It's easier handling regret when you've got $1000 than when you've got $200.

yup, cuz the $$$ is usually the only fun part. It's work unless you hit a really lucky patch of guests. The last one I did was soooo strenuous, mentally, that I was really wrecked about wether I had the nerve to keep DJing, because guests can be SO RUDE. A couple club nights make you realize that it is the EVENT that makes people stupid, not the DJ.

Different crowds are completely night and day. I was at a wedding the week before, and this older DJ handled a mostly middle aged crowd(couple wed were late 30s-early 40s)without breaking a sweat, played the most obvious stuff and just blended his smooth jazz-R&B azz off, and that was perfect and I watched him the whole night, no one gave him any static. This other wedding I did was a lot of recent college grads, and they were bugging me all night long, 'play this now', do this stuff more', 'we want slow songs', 'we want fast songs', 'what about songs white people dance to', etc. Weddings can be a bitch.

• I just ran all this stuff for my sister and her recent wedding. She's cheap and still had to dole out $800 for the gig.

A*am, you should've called me, I do this on the side...........!!!!!!!!!

• ya man, go for as much as you can since her budget is 500... minimum should be $400....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I just ran all this stuff for my sister and her recent wedding. She's cheap and still had to dole out $800 for the gig.

A*am, you should've called me, I do this on the side...........!!!!!!!!!

I might hit you up for wedding then...stay tuned (for years)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Since she already has a price in mind, it really depends how bad you want to do this. If you really want the gig take the $500 and run. If not then you should negotiate for quite a bit more. Most of the guys are right on point with their pricing. I find that it works well to say that you have a base rate and move from there. Mine is $800 for 4hrs (of spinning) including the rental. $150 per hour after that. I find most people will fork it over when they understand what you are offering. Good luck and prepare for Brick House request city.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I charge $1500 but that includes bringing my equipment. You should definitely charge more in the future. They are getting a real deal.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

not to scare you....

• Davis deejays =

TRIPLE MONEY BACK GUARANTEE[/b]

hey paychips, why dont you take the money and ask them to have someone else set-up and break down all that shit. oh, and ask for a bottle of laphroaig 15 year single malt.

and get one for yourself too.

• I charge $1500 but that includes bringing my equipment. You should definitely charge more in the future. They are getting a real deal.

yeah but you're a real dj

if it makes everyone feel better I am going to charge $800 incl. "rental" and put the "rental" towards a serato package.

So I am getting something out of this.

• if it makes everyone feel better I am going to charge $800 incl. "rental" and put the "rental" towards a serato package.

So I am getting something out of this.

SEE, HE DOES LISTEN TO US SOMETIMES

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    $1,500 + expenses easy. That's a pittance compared to what they'll be shelling out for catering and the lot. Plus it is only right since the music/DJ is such an IMPORTANT PART of making their special day all that more special, and in order to get someone who's trusted and a professional to handle it the right way then they should not have a problem shelling out the dough.

Seriously though, even if they don't bite for the $1,500 + then that's still a good starting point to work your way down to those smaller numbers. Also make sure to remind them again and again about how your job is such a vital part of the whole event. And of course they might counter with the argument that "We're picking the songs for you already" but it's much much more than that. In any case, even if they had not supplied you with the songs ahead of time, and professional would have compiled a list of music that would have been "must play" material. So it comes down to compiling the music as to their requests/demands, supplying additional material as to the parameters of the music that's already supplied, and (most importantly) formatting the music into the playlist for the evening so that it goes smoothly and withough a problem. Once again, I cannot stress this enough and you should not stress this enough to your client: this is a huge factor.

Jonny let me know if you got any other questions. I'll help answer them as best as I can, or maybe hit Urrrs up as well.

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts

for me, this is always at the point when I am asked to drop funkytown, brickhouse, etc.

• I talked to the bride last night. We're going through the plan and of course I'm like, "so yeah other than Brick House, Celebrate, YMCA, etc. just give me a CD..." and she goes "NO! THIS IS NOT THAT KIND OF WEDDING! I would throw myself into the east river if you played that. I just want some groovy soul, some mellow loungey stuff, maybe some jazz during dinner, and old school hip-hop. Maybe some Beatles and Stones for my parents."

• I'm like, "so yeah other than Brick House, Celebrate, YMCA, etc. just give me a CD..." and she goes "NO! THIS IS NOT THAT KIND OF WEDDING!

FAMOUS LAST WORDS

Once all the family is there... best believe you'll be getting requests for "Brick House, Celebrate, YMCA, etc." no matter how good the bride & groom's taste is.