Bush Takes Responsibility for Blunders

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/09/13/national/w090358D94.DTLMust be nice to be able to cop to some shit like this and know that there will be zero consequences. People better vote this devil out of office.Still, I'm shocked that he even took responsibility, if only in words.

Comments

• People better vote this devil out of office.

How would we do this?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Still, I'm shocked that he even took responsibility, if only in words.

Straight PR!

"Please don't let my approval rating slip anymore!"

How would we do this?

Touch??. It's his second term, but I still can't believe it.

Of course, the Cali-Style "Special Recall Election" won't happen on a fed level.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Cool.

I'm glad he's stepping up to take responsiblity for making bad choices that have caused many people to die and many more to suffer needlessly.

Hey, just curious though...

Who's that guy standing next to him?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Who's that guy standing next to him?

He's the Wilford Brimley of the middle east.

Honestly, I can't believe Bush took responsibility--I actually had to check around to make sure this wasn't a parody news article. Gee, all it took was five years, a couple thousand deaths, and some serious disasters, and he'll actually let a "my bad" escape. What a guy!

But I agree--this is only happening because his polling numbers are hitting rock-bottom. His support has largely been stripped down to his die-hard base of people who would look the other way if Bush murdered and ate their mothers on national TV. The sad thing? I guarantee you he'll get a polling bounce from this. A bunch of those Republicans who have decided not even they can stand by Bush during this will now decide, "Well...he said he was sorry" and support him again. So much for people waking up.

• "president" of Iraq?

How would we do this?

clinton was halfway there after a blow job.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    i'm not mad anymore.

Thanks, Bush!!!

• It may be too little too late, but at the same time I'm pretty shocked that he said this, considering he's never taken responsibility or not. And no matter how you look at it, saying this:

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government,"

"To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility,"

was the right thing to do, so I'll give him credit for that.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    It may be too little too late, but at the same time I'm pretty shocked that he said this, considering he's never taken responsibility or not. And no matter how you look at it, saying this:

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government,"

"To the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility,"

was the right thing to do, so I'll give him credit for that.

If he hadn't said it because he was forced to (what with 2/3 of the country turning on him and all), I would have thought that too.

• If he hadn't said it because he was forced to (what with 2/3 of the country turning on him and all), I would have thought that too.

where did you find this figure? From everything I've read his approval rating was barely shaken and approval on response to Hurricane Katrina right after was just below 50%. Now it's above 50%.

http://gallup.com/poll/content/?ci=18466

• I know this was the right thing for him to do...but I don't buy it. I think he only does the right thing when he can't turn away from it or deny it any longer. He can say all he wants to about the war in Iraq going well because that is happening thousands of miles away from home...but Katrina happened at home and he realized he couldn't get away with lying to the American people. Him taking responsibility doesn't mean shit to me...he is just placating the American people.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

If he hadn't said it because he was forced to (what with 2/3 of the country turning on him and all), I would have thought that too.

where did you find this figure? From everything I've read his approval rating was barely shaken and approval on response to Hurricane Katrina right after was just below 50%. Now it's above 50%.

Nah, man, his approval is mad low. He's currently at about 42 percent approve/57 percent disapprove. That's approaching Watergate numbers right there, and some individual polls have put his approval ratings into the high 30s. People are pissed at him. But now that he's batted his eyelids and given a heavy qualified "acceptance" of blame (his escape hatch is quite visible--it's the phrase "to the extent that the federal government didn't do its job right." Remember that as he's saying this, the White House is doing everything it can to pin all the blame on state and local folks), some of the softer-headed people will start approving of him again.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=433971&Forum=crates&Words=YA%20SLIPPIN&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1week&Main=433971&Search=true#Post433971

"president" of Iraq?

Oh, shit. Right. I forgot about Iraq. He apologized for that too?

• not that I know of, but someone asked who that guy standing next to him was and I can only assume it was the "president" of Iraq since I saw on the Today show that he was scheduled to visit the WH today.

• If he hadn't said it because he was forced to (what with 2/3 of the country turning on him and all), I would have thought that too.

Nah, man, his approval is mad low. He's currently at about 42 percent approve/57 percent disapprove. That's approaching Watergate numbers right there, and some individual polls have put his approval ratings into the high 30s. People are pissed at him. But now that he's batted his eyelids and given a heavy qualified "acceptance" of blame (his escape hatch is quite visible--it's the phrase "to the extent that the federal government didn't do its job right." Remember that as he's saying this, the White House is doing everything it can to pin all the blame on state and local folks), some of the softer-headed people will start approving of him again.

in our twisted republic, however, his approval is likely to increase because he's owned up to this failure. since we expect the gov't to lie and dodge responsibility, people appreciate an admission like this to the point of excusing the failure that was admitted to. rather than take Bush's admission as proof that he was indeed responsible for a collossal failure, people will choose instead to take this as proof that he's a decent guy.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

in our twisted republic, however, his approval is likely to increase because he's owned up to this failure. since we expect the gov't to lie and dodge responsibility, people appreciate an admission like this to the point of excusing the failure that was admitted to. rather than take Bush's admission as proof that he was indeed responsible for a collossal failure, people will choose instead to take this as proof that he's a decent guy.

Yup. Once again proving that he at least takes direction well, someone told him this was the way to get shit back on track until people forget all about the Katrina problems, say, sometime next week. Take it on the chin, look solemn, and act like shit is gettin done, and people will forget all about the open sores on the surface of our country.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You know, I watched video of this, and it really bugs me how well-spun it has already been in his favor. He was hit with a direct question challenging him to take responsibilty, and he used that ultra-defensive tone that always amazed me in debates, that kind of whiny/pleading voice that really seems to say "look, I'm saying what you want to hear! What more do you want from me?" He friggin looked down at the podium when he said the one thing that had any weight, about taking personal responsibilty for the (asterik) failings (asterik) at the Federal (asterik) level - the goddamn President needs to look straight in the camera and look people in the eye when he is saying shit like that...I swear I'm not nitpicking - it's like that shit when you have a kid, and they're always getting into trouble, and they learn just what to say to avoid getting punished but you see right through it. I wanted to make him go to bed without dinner and then drown himself in Louisiana flood water. What a fraud.

yep. i know what you mean.

you'd think fox news would be spinning this in his favor, but as of 6:30 eastern, it's not anywhere on their website.

http://www.foxnews.com/

or theirs:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/

but it's front and center here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/

and

http://www.nytimes.com/

interesting

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

you'd think fox news would be spinning this in his favor, but as of 6:30 eastern, it's not anywhere on their website.

or theirs:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/

but it's front and center here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/

and

http://www.nytimes.com/

interesting

The loyalist think it shows weakness to admitt failure or culpability. Not that that is what he is doing. He said that "to the extent that there were failures at the federal level". He has yet to admit that there were any failures at the federal level.

• 1). I thought this was gonna be a "PSYCH! MADE YOU LOOK" POST!

2). Watch those cocksucking philibusters on Fox spin this into some "SEE! LOOK HOW MUCH OF A LEADER HE IS! HE'S A REAL MAN WHO ACCEPTS HIS FAILURES! WE SHOULD APPLAUD FOR COMING FORTH AND ADMITTING HIS MISTAKES!"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Wow Bush can't win for losing on soulstrut can he?

I hate the fucker with all my heart but I do still find this to something of a positive in the fact that the highest person in this administration actually admitted to having made a major fuck up.

had he not taken any responsibility would you guys have the opposite reaction?

Perhaps its my optimist side shining through but I think its hard to spin a stated fact of fault into something postive.

I mean if I admitted to killing small children I don't think anyone here can spin my admission into a good thing.

Now that he's admitted that a mistake on his watch led to the death of thousands can we put him up for impeachment or recall him?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Now that he's admitted that a mistake on his watch led to the death of thousands can we put him up for impeachment or recall him?

NO!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

NO!

pleeeeeasssssssssseee??

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    1). I thought this was gonna be a "PSYCH! MADE YOU LOOK" POST!

here's my prediction: foxnews and such will come out and spin this, but only in response to other politicians' and journalists' first pokes at it. i can picture o'reilly tomorrow saying,
    "you know, first the liberals whine about how he can't take responsibility for anything, and now here he is doing it, and it's still not good enough for them! the liberal media are trying to put the entire blame on our president, and he's owning up to his fair share (which is more than ray nagin can say, might i add?!) - when it was really the shortcomings of the local and state government that is at fault!"

note - i've never felt so disgusting than just now, trying to channel the perspective of that fuckwad

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wow Bush can't win for losing on soulstrut can he?

I hate the fucker with all my heart but I do still find this to something of a positive in the fact that the highest person in this administration actually admitted to having made a major fuck up.[/b]

He has not admitted any fuck up, major or otherwise. He read a carefully worded statement that said "To the extent that mistakes were made" he would take responsibility. He has not said, "mistakes were made". In fact he has consistently denied that mistakes were made by anyone accept democrates in Louisiana.

"Oh Dan, quit mincing words."

Remember his I'll fire anyone who leaked Plames name. Now it's "if someone leaked her name, and it is proven in court that it was a crime, and that person is convicted, and they have been through the appeals process, as long as that person is not Karl Rove or someone else I depend on to tell me what to do".

There is no positive this, you will only disappoint yourself if you believe that.

Dan

Remember his I'll fire anyone who leaked Plames name.

shit, that's sad. i almost forgot about this. which makes me think... how does the administration keep up with all of their fuck-ups that they need to look into (self-reflexively)?

• I hate the fucker with all my heart but I do still find this to something of a positive in the fact that the highest person in this administration actually admitted to having made a major fuck up.

While it's a small concession, it seems more forced than anything. I mean, that's got to be the bare minimum he could do. Although I could see it not taking much more for him to have ignored it all together.

So... sincere? No. But it's something. I guess.