african recommendations plaese

TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
So I'm asked to play at a benefit for young ghetto-kids from Capetown.They asked me to do my normal thing but to try and mix in some african flavor.. there will be a delegation present from RSA who will do 'something musical and dance'anyways, I need some dancefloor friendy african music. So any recommendations besides Fela Kuti and Manu Dibango?thx in advance.

Comments

• so much great raer

but stuff you maybe can locate in a hurry
    mahotella queens
    king sunny
    sonny okosun
    baba maal
    boingo boys
    afro-reggae from lucky dube or alpha blondy
    soweto never sleeps
    prince nico
    +
    ?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    - find a copy of Rob[/b] "Make it Fast"

- play it once at the event

- Send it to me

- I will give you $17.63 as a thank you for your work

• I like "Chief Commander" Ebenezer Obay. It's (not so crazy) Juju music (Nigeria). Not so hard to find. Tracks can stretch out for 20 minutes. Find the parts where he freaks out on his guitar. But then, these kids are from Capetown... I've seen this documentary on current South African rap influenced music. Sounded very wild and cool. It was mad popular there. Can't help you with names.

Hey, didn't you post about a gig where you were asked to play Rai? How did that turn out?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I've seen this documentary on current South African rap influenced music. Sounded very wild and cool. It was mad popular there. Can't help you with names.

Kwaito - although most people I've met from South Africa who are into hip-hop tend to steer clear of it:

http://www.sahistory.org.za/pages/artsmediaculture/pages/music/kwaito.htm

• Get hold of a copy of this comp. It's got some great stuff on it.

Peace.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    comps/reissues are your best bets

Tony Allen reissues on Strut
    Club Africa
    Afrika Underground
    Afro Rock
    Ghana Sounds

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Kelen Atilen
    Pierre Didy
    Mohawks - Gimme Some

• Dollar Brand

• Isn't playing West African funk gonna come across as a bit, I dunno, culturally insensitive? You're gonna want Zimbabwean and SA stuff mixed with a hefty dose of Ready To Die.

Failing that, doubles of this will keep you going for at least half an hour.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Thx for the suggestions.. I will def. look into those comps.
    In the mean time I picked up some records of Zulu-Choirs, see how that works out.

Hey, didn't you post about a gig where you were asked to play Rai? How did that turn out?

nope. wasnt me.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

Kwaito - although most people I've met from South Africa who are into hip-hop tend to steer clear of it:

http://www.sahistory.org.za/pages/artsmediaculture/pages/music/kwaito.htm

good one! thx!

• Check out African Hip Hop ... I also used to have a few tunes from Prophets of da City (old school S.A hip hop)... slightly confused by the post above - hip hop was big was I was last in Capetown. Ok so that was six years ago...

• two other dope comps are the Nigeria 70 comp and the Afro Baby comp.

also, what about some new afre-beat ish?

antibalas, budos band, etc.

pizzle.

gabe