The greatest studio band of all time is........

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I know this isn't saying anything too original but I still gotta give them so many props for playing on so many dope sides. I cannot recommend a box set more than The Complete Stax Singles 1968-1971. I am sure that Soufriere will comeback with a JA related pick but for my money these gyus are the GOAT.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I know this isn't saying anything too original but I still gotta give them so many props for playing on so many dope sides. I cannot recommend a box set more than The Complete Stax Singles 1968-1971. I am sure that Soufriere will comeback with a JA related pick but for my money these gyus are the GOAT.

The Bar-Kays are close, but off the top of my head I have to co-sign this. Although the Funk Brothers at Motown are just as crucial.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

All apologies, but gotta give it up.

- spidey

• ahem...

holla holla holla holla holla holla

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

what other studio band got thousands of kids begging their moms for one of these?

• funk brothers. for seriously!

• Options
    Ca'an fuck with these dudes

K in Canada.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Versatility baby...........From Country to Aretha's Funkiest stuff.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• I know this isn't saying anything too original but I still gotta give them so many props for playing on so many dope sides. I cannot recommend a box set more than The Complete Stax Singles 1968-1971. I am sure that Soufriere will comeback with a JA related pick but for my money these gyus are the GOAT.

duck dunn looks shook and flabbergasted by that las' boobs

i vote the meters for nola
    then the funk brothers for detroit
    and that LA studio team blaine/kaye/tedesco/et al for all that soul pop in the late 60s /70s

I vote for Meters for NOLA too, considering how many other records they played on.

BTW

If you're gonna post a pic of Booker T & The MGs, you have to find one with this dude in it....

• My vote goes for Chicago's Twinight house band

the Pieces of Peace

GAME OVER!!!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I know, I just couldn't pass up the titties. What can I say I love titties.

• I know this isn't saying anything too original but I still gotta give them so many props for playing on so many dope sides. I cannot recommend a box set more than The Complete Stax Singles 1968-1971. I am sure that Soufriere will comeback with a JA related pick but for my money these gyus are the GOAT.

duck dunn looks shook and flabbergasted by that las' boobs

i vote the meters for nola
    then the funk brothers for detroit
    and that LA studio team blaine/kaye/tedesco/et al for all that soul pop in the late 60s /70s

I vote for Meters for NOLA too, considering how many other records they played on.

BTW

If you're gonna post a pic of Booker T & The MGs, you have to find one with this dude in it....

word...but them breastuhsis are a mighty nice thing to see...two(three) of my favorite things together in one picture!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Muscles gang was my second pick. Though Meters is pretty close.

• The Chess house band (ca. mid-late sixties), heard on records by Billy Stewart, Radiants, Fontella Bass, Sugar Pie DeSanto, Muddy and the Wolf's overrated psychedelic shite, etc..

That greasy TK band in Miami is up there, too.

Neither band is the end-all greatest, but I'd put 'em in the top 10.

The Beatles, a studio band? For whom (besides themselves)?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    THE ROOTS RADICS FOLLS!!!!!!!!!!!

Roots Radics, Junjo Lawes & Scientist = Some of the best LPs EVER recorded!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    funk brothers. for seriously!

saying.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    The Beatles, a studio band? For whom (besides themselves)?

Oh, so this thread is best band comprised of studio musicians, rather then best studio output by a band. Then I retract my previous statement.

- spidey

• THE ROOTS RADICS FOLLS!!!!!!!!!!!

Roots Radics, Junjo Lawes & Scientist = Some of the best LPs EVER recorded!

the runner up

• Ca'an fuck with these dudes

K in Canada.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    When I saw the title I said, MG's, Meters, Dixie Fliers.

I love the Dixie Fliers, Aretha Franklin Spirit In The Dark is one place to hear them, I can't remember the artist or the record that made me fall in love with them.

The Gold Star Studio band has been named, and the Skatalittes, and Roots Radic, and Charles Stepney's players. Muscle Shoals was also mentioned.

I'm voting Dixie Fliers today, but let's not forget:
    Hi Studio Band, Hodges, Rhodes, Chalmers and Rhodes, and the greatest drummer in any studio band; Al Jackson of the MG's!

The Fame band down the street from the Muscle Shoals band.

The NYC Atlantic Records band.

Al "TNT" Braggs was the house band over at Duke, laying down tight horn driven blues.

Over in Cincinatti they had a nice little house band called the JB's.

This is my first non-Katrina post since returning almost a weekago.

Dan

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Damn. You took mine.

Not the most reknown, but near fucking PERFECT on every Staton/Hightower/Jackson/Hughes/Carter, etc. song.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Damn. You took mine.

Not the most reknown, but near fucking PERFECT on every Staton/Hightower/Jackson/Hughes/Carter, etc. song.

Sorry about that, I listed near ever studio band there.

I want to second DR Wu on Booker T & MGs. I just picked up all their records and they were killing it from 1962 on. Cropper was playing power chords way before Towsend. There is not a Stax studio cut I do not like. While they were great on every cut, Otis drove them to even higher levels. Normally the Mar-Keys did their own (head) horn arrangements. Otis did the arrangements on his records and you can hear the horn parts are better than any other Stax cuts.

Lewis Steinberg was the original MGs bassist, played and got writing credits for Green Onions. What happened to him? I'm guessing he said "having a #1 hit is fun, but I've got mouths to feed, I'm going to TV repair school".

Also playing in the Stax studios, and filling in for Booker T Jones while he went to college, was Isaac Hayes on keys.

Dan

• My vote goes for Chicago's Twinight house band

the Pieces of Peace

GAME OVER!!!

YES!

But I will give it up for the MGs. They knew how to lay in the cut.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I think I weight the MGs so heavily because of the sheer leve of output while maintaining incredible quality. Live no one could touch the famous flames but not quite as prolific as the MGs. I really can't argue with other strutters picks here.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

what exactly is goin on in that picture? are all those dudes about to line up in that?

• word. Jackie Mitoo, Tommy McCook, Ernie Ranglin, DON DRUMMOND! you can't fuck with any of those players.

• Options
    I've heard of instances of both Duke Ellington and Dizzy calling Drummond the best hornman alive (and those were some good years!).

K in Canada.

• THE JB'S.... NO QUESTIONS!!!!