shaggy - oh carolina appreciation post

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
don't hat. i just downloaded this after thinking about it today, and guess what? shit is DOPE. If this song came out today i would be bugging. and to think i used to kinda think i was wack for liking this song.seriously.dope.CHEERS!

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    its an "interpolation" of an ole ska track i think...no wait i think its a cover...i forget, but yeah i like his version too, i remember it came out around the same time as apache ndn's arranged marriage

...and when inner circle got big too...you know whats phucked up about inner circle? when i went to Goa in 94, my cousins took me to the local joints called "beach shows" basically all these local Goan kids in bands playing pop songs, phucking great sheit...its like you buy a 40oz and they set their sheit up outside, and since they're all piss drunk the audience gets rowdy. and i sheit you not, they would throw bottles if the band didnt play inner circles "games people play" or ace of bass's the sign! there were like 4 inner circle songs being played. and dudes, hearing those joints by local goan kids with their accents and all is a motherphucking trip!!! ace of bass to inner circle to roxette covers. man that trip brings back memories, all i really listened to back then was cypress hill and funkdoobiest and that sheit changed my musical perception forever and i got me a geetar from goa.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    its an "interpolation" of an ole ska track i think...no wait i think its a cover...

Folkes Brothers 'Oh Carolina'
    Released on Buster's Wild Bells label. Produced by Prince Buster.

thanks for the knowledge! prince buster produced? never knew that!

here's my favorite prince buster track of all time, "the prophet"
    http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=10EOXNNZGKIG92Y2RHWRYXWE1T
    the horns man, the horns the horns!!!

• Options
    its an "interpolation" of an ole ska track i think...no wait i think its a cover...

I got an extra on the Prince Buster label if anyone needs it...and NO!, it is not a ska track. One of the first tunes to accentuate bingi drumming via Count Ossie's inclusion.

There's a rootsier version of that track on Count Ossie's "Mystic Revelation of Rastafari 3LP set.

K in Canada.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    mp3s plaese!!!

• Options
    Here's the COunt Ossie and Mystic Revelation of Rastafari version

K in Canada.

• word.
    I play the shaggy joint at parties, always get a great response.

• Which version is this then?

• Options

K in Canada.

I got an extra on the Prince Buster label if anyone needs it...and NO!, it is not a ska track. One of the first tunes to accentuate bingi drumming via Count Ossie's inclusion.

There's a rootsier version of that track on Count Ossie's "Mystic Revelation of Rastafari 3LP set.

K in Canada.

further knowledge requested about bingi drumming...just re-listened to the track and the drums are really interesting
    peacenadvance

alieNDN in Canada

• Options
    Did you listen to other soundfile?

Add a favourite Soulstrut word to the beginning and you get the full term, nyahbingi. It's a form of African drumming that thrived in the mountain areas (Warieka Hills) inhabited by various dread poet/musicians and made it's way onto various records via Light of Saba/Cedric Brooks, Count Ossie, Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus, etc.

You can proabbly find various write ups about it on the net. It's been said that the beat mimmicks the heart (thump thump thump thump ...)

K in Canada.

ya i did listen to the other file, sweet stuff.
    thanks for the info, liking that, nice n organic.
    peace

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    word.
    I play the shaggy joint at parties, always get a great response.

How about dude's career. Pretty decent for a lil dude. co-sign on the bumpidness of Oh, Carolina.

• Options
    You noticed they ripped the original piano lick, too?

K.