good shows

edotedot 12 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Just curious to ask if anyone has seen any good hiphop shows or artists lately? I havent been out to a good show in awhile, think maybe rjd2 was the last one, is it me or are good hiphop shows few and far between? I dont know maybe nothings coming through here............

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'd like to see what a Blueprint show is like.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Saw Edan last night .
    Amazing.

Edan and Insight had a chemistry that I have NEVER seen between two Mc???s.

Both guys were tight on the mic. I swear I have never seen anything like this, and Im 34 (tomorrow) and have been to a fair few shows in my time.

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    saw Blueprint last night with Illogic...

BP ripped it but did a classic hip-hop montage about halfway through his set and the crowd was just dead afterwards...too many openers

But BP was definitely on point...best hip hop show I've seen in Akron since, well, since he came a year ago or so

mo' rappers!

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Going to see Handsome Boy tomorrow night at the 9:30 Clubs. Any reviews out there?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I saw Spankrock at Rothko in NYC a few weeks ago and the show was dope!!! Dude has personality and an original style. Rumor has it he signed with Big Dada, Spank's gonna be doing it real big, real soon.
    "PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPut that pussy on me!"

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Ab Rude was tight like knots and bolts.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I saw the Fucking Champs tonight and it was killer. A crazy surpirise was that this dude I have known for a long time(Phil for Trans-Am) is the new guitar player for the Champs. He told me it took a year to learn all the songs, I believe it. Phil is a muthafugger on guitar, but the Champs songs are some million note steez. It was a great show, and just hanging out with an old friend was a plus. The Champs fucking rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    I have not seen any good shows since last year. I saw Raekwon and then the Gza was on a few weeks later not bad shows. Q-Bert's down I think next week though with DJ Yoda so I will probably give that a visit.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    indy rap in full effect?

Eric Roberson and Pharaoh Monch were my top picks for 2004. ... and John Legend this year.

• not hiphop, but i just saw The Dirtbombs a few days ago and it was the best rock show i've seen in some time. aparently they have been touring non-stop for the past 6 months and it shows cause they were really tight as a band. 2 drummers, 2 bass players, they covered Curtis Mayfield and had a song that uses the guitar from Ghost's "Daytona 500" (or Bob James...whatever)

• Saw Edan last night .
    Amazing.

Edan and Insight had a chemistry that I have NEVER seen between two Mc???s.

Both guys were tight on the mic. I swear I have never seen anything like this, and Im 34 (tomorrow) and have been to a fair few shows in my time.

was that the Bristol show? - gutted I missed that.

Over that past few months I've seen;

Roots Manuva - wicked performance, but annoying studenty/skater crown (all jibbin on about essays, being skint and shit)

Mobb Deep/Alchemist - the mobb were horrible, mumbling with no stage presence at all. over an hour of my pet rap peeve - one MC does his line and the other just shouts the last two words of the line, it was garbage. Al and Twin were a bit better though.

Nas - Pretty good show, I wasn't feelin it that much though. Dude seemed to shout his way through it all, it was a relief when he got to the quiet bit in 'one mic' 'cos he actually calmed it down and started rapping proper.

Guru - Wicked show, loads of old gangstarr stuff. Good clear delivery and kept the crowd bubbling over nicely. I wasn't sure what to expect here, 'cos IMO he's not a great rapper, but this performance made me re-evaluate that opinion.

Dizzee Rascal / Taz - Superb show, really connected with the crowd. Anyone who says this dude's not a rapper is full of shit, he ripped this HARD. Highly recommended, except I don't know how that'd go over with a US crowd. Real grimey UK flavour.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I saw the Fucking Champs tonight and it was killer. A crazy surpirise was that this dude I have known for a long time(Phil for Trans-Am) is the new guitar player for the Champs. He told me it took a year to learn all the songs, I believe it. Phil is a muthafugger on guitar, but the Champs songs are some million note steez. It was a great show, and just hanging out with an old friend was a plus. The Champs fucking rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love the fucking champs too, but i only just recently heard about the guy from trans am joining up with them. were they selling a new 7" at the show? i know they recorded a new one, but i don't know if it's out yet.

me and my friend had a two person band called double eagle that once opened for trans am in somebody's basement in chapel hill about 6 years ago. the first song we did was an all-beatbox version of a trans am song off their second album. our only show. aahh...to relive the glory days.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Going to see Handsome Boy tomorrow night at the 9:30 Clubs. Any reviews out there?

I hope you didn't wast your money on this show. I saw them on Friday and it fucking sucked. Thank god I didn't have to pay. They had a "live" band that wasn't even playing, only following the CD that was being played through the sound board.

Sucked. Hippies were into it though.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Kenny Dope @ APT in NY. The man threw it down. One half of Masters at Work played disco, soul, house classics. You couldnt move in the joint till the late hours. Im realized that playing "funk, breaks, soul" classics seem to be the trendy shit now (every little lounge in NY has alteast two of these parties a week) but I mean to properly orchestrate an entire nights of music. I remember nights like these every weekend in New York around 94-98. The crowd, the music was just on point.

tonight is Pete Rock at Table 50!!!!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    The last hiphop show I saw was some local MC showcase showdown about 3 years ago that was pretty decent until the white rapper started running off his knowledge of the lesser-known pages of Roget's jumpoff auctioneer-style.

Other than that, I enjoyed these shows this year:

Panjabi Hit Squad w/ Gunjan
    Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
    The Blue Van
    Valient Thorr

And no, it had nothing to do with the fact that I DJ'd at all of them.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

I hope you didn't wast your money on this show. I saw them on Friday and it fucking sucked. Thank god I didn't have to pay. They had a "live" band that wasn't even playing, only following the CD that was being played through the sound board.

Sucked. Hippies were into it though.

nate, did you go to the gamelan ensemble from bali at the flynn the other week?
    that was so fucking intense.

other recent shows that were good: smif n wessun last week surprised me. wasn't expecting that much but they came off. jack dejohnette (with a latin group) a couple of months ago was really amazing. mf doom last month killed it...so much charisma and stage presence it's scary.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

Dissapointing show. Bad sound. I never thought I'd say this but way too much bass. Mic problems. The skits were entertaining but the show never really jelled. Basically it was Dan the Automator scratching over the album tracks with a guitarist, a bass player and a keyboardist playing along and Prince Paul playing the emcee. No encore.