New or Recent albums you're into

2»

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Dunn and Bruce Street - Official Business (Devaki)

1982 Modern Soul classic from Bruce Gray and Dunn Pearson. Nearly every track is a winner if you're into this kind of sound (I am). "Mt. You (Up On The Hill)" is a funky killer doing heavy rotation on my MP3 player. Check it: Dunn and Bruce Street

SG

Is that the one with "Shout For Joy" on it? That was a big tune in the soul clubs in the UK around '82. I think it was out on 12" as well, certainly over here, so if it's not on that album, it's worth looking out for.

Yep, it's on the album. Really great LP from start to finish!

SG

I bid ona copy Crazypoprock had up for auction and lost...cause I forgot when it was ending

I was ready to snipe too

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

dubious, you liking that serena maneesh? i found it a little too heavy on the forumlaic sonic youth 'riff / chorus / noisy passage / sparkly resolution' thing. but it is definitely produced really well.

havent peeped it more than twice.. never heard any thrustonisms.. to me its more in that perenially underdog shoegazery vibe of Ride, Swervedriver, with pretty heavy JAMC, MBV circa Isnt anything overtones. Bits of it remind me of Unrest, Drop Nineteens as well.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    in the past couple months...
    animal colelctive - feels
    august born
    nagisa ni te (shit is all in japanese i have no idea what this is called but it probably translates to 'wind whistling through an oleander' or some such)
    vibracathedral orchestra - tuning to the rooster
    black dice - broken ear record
    excepter - throne
    nisennen mondai
    es - kaikkeuden kauneus ja k??sitt??m??tt??myys
    lindstrom - i feel space
    sunburned hand of the man - complexion
    hunters of the dallol mawri on ocora
    did someone give you a gift certificate to forced exposure?

really though, when is that nagisa ni te dropping?

• just been grabbing what i need off the back of distro tractor trailer... the dmg guys keep it rather thorough on the promo tip. but of course the fe funnel tends not to separate the pulp from the juice.

nagisa i really don't know. shit is a xerox cd-r. the nisennen shit is craze though. think they're on a sadly mis-billed tour with the hospitals, the worst band i've seen in a while. 'bands with microphones in their mouths' 2005

oh yeah and it's funny seeming hate just to be clear.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    just been grabbing what i need off the back of distro tractor trailer... the dmg guys keep it rather thorough on the promo tip. but of course the fe funnel tends not to separate the pulp from the juice.

nagisa i really don't know. shit is a xerox cd-r. the nisennen shit is craze though. think they're on a sadly mis-billed tour with the hospitals, the worst band i've seen in a while. 'bands with microphones in their mouths' 2005

oh yeah and it's funny seeming hate just to be clear.

yeah, i was joking. i like a lot of that shit too. i wish i got promos of music i actually enjoyed.

when did you see hospitals? i hear the what's his face from pink n' brown/coachwhips guy got kicked out. they're definetly on some "let's be assholes to the crowd because it's cool" type shit (see also: Sunburned Hand of the Man)

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

Soil & Pimp Sessions[/b] 'Summer Goddess'

They keep stepping it up and this EP kicks ass all over. Death jazz indeed.

Is this out on (non-baller) vinyl?
    Don't think so. I picked up my copy on CD about two months ago. To my understanding they don't do a lot of vinyl. I know they did a single off 'Pimp Master' and I think 'Pimpin' is available too but haven't heard anything about a vinyl release of this one unfortunately.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Horrible cover.

Great music.

Autechre - Untilted

• awallawall 673 Posts

Great cover.

Horrible music.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Kaplow.

• hospitals were here last weekend with oneida. they weren't really assholes to the crowd so much as they were feigning passion and concept in lieu of any discernible talent or reason. customers who bought this also enjoyed: mouthus.

sunburned are endearing to me because they are fuckface hippies. which is pretty tight.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    hospitals were here last weekend with oneida. they weren't really assholes to the crowd so much as they were feigning passion and concept in lieu of any discernible talent or reason. customers who bought this also enjoyed: mouthus.

sunburned are endearing to me because they are fuckface hippies. which is pretty tight.

hospitals used to fight with each other and break bottles and shit. i've heard a lot of stories. i've never actually heard their music but i could take a guess as to what it sounds like.

(i took out what i wrote here cause it was stuipid message board gossip type stuff)

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Kaplow.

i wouldn't say horrible, actually. it was just easier to re-word. i actually enjoy some of their stuff, particually the ones with the numbers (LP5 and ep7, i think?). and that DVD thing they did was fucking mindblowing. wasn't feeling that one though.

• well granted i have not seen sunburned perform in probably 2 years. it's kind of like you know what you're getting with them. i know paul pretty well (went to school with his little brother) and he is definitely a straight up hippie. but he gets stupid drunk. most of those guys have really bad issues with the liquor that i'm sure only gets worse with more money at hand. seems like a scene at your friend's house though. i can't imagine little ben getting too violent, but man that could be some freaky shit.hope your friend is ok.

i have tried to like magik markers, and i just can't really. i think i am over people being confrontational with the audience getting bloody and shit. plus elisa just seems too shy to really go for it like she should. after seeing black dice in their heyday i just can't really imagine music getting any more threatening. pete is actually a great drummer and incredibly friendly, hilarious guy. his band cops is fucking awesome. they play out of tune garage riffs and drums with holes in them while he reads from lou reed's autobiography and shit.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what autechre album would you compare it to?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    prince paul-itstrumental ..gets better with each listen
    fiona apple- extraordinary machine (not about love is awesome!)...this was available on the net for awhile cause it was supposedly shelved for not being commercial enough, but i think its finally gonna be released

• awallawall 673 Posts
    well granted i have not seen sunburned perform in probably 2 years. it's kind of like you know what you're getting with them. i know paul pretty well (went to school with his little brother) and he is definitely a straight up hippie. but he gets stupid drunk. most of those guys have really bad issues with the liquor that i'm sure only gets worse with more money at hand. seems like a scene at your friend's house though. i can't imagine little ben getting too violent, but man that could be some freaky shit.hope your friend is ok.

i have tried to like magik markers, and i just can't really. i think i am over people being confrontational with the audience getting bloody and shit. plus elisa just seems too shy to really go for it like she should. after seeing black dice in their heyday i just can't really imagine music getting any more threatening. pete is actually a great drummer and incredibly friendly, hilarious guy. his band cops is fucking awesome. they play out of tune garage riffs and drums with holes in them while he reads from lou reed's autobiography and shit.

with that sort of intense improv shit it's always really hit or miss. a lot of it has to do with how the crowd is reacting, and with the magik markers folks were really getting into and going nuts. made for a good show. they're from NY right? the whole show one of the dudes from sunburned kept saying that everyone should give them a bunch of money because they were on tour from england.
    my main complaint about bands like that is that very rarely do they make albums that are actually interesting. usually just a bunch of lo-fi gobbelty gook.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    what autechre album would you compare it to?
    probably the one that came right before it, whatever it was called.

• i (finally!) just recently bought the U.S. release of seu jorge's "cru". i love it. now i've gotta get the "carolina" joint.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

L.A.F.M.S.[/b] (the Los Angeles Free Music Society)- Lowest Form Of Music[/b] Box Set

If you have the means, and are a fan of noise-avant-free-no wave (even), do yourself a favor and and put this on your xmas list.

I'm nearing the end of backing up my cd collection and finally got around to this box set. It still blows my mind after 7 years. A collection of an affiliated group of musicians who performed throughout the 70's-early 80's doing all manner of cut up tracks, acidic mantras and rambling, early sampler usage (some of it sounding like "Grey" kind of stuff), ridiculous jazz and exotic fusion pieces, and even art punk to blow away even the most dutiful trashbag helmet wearing nerd.

I forgot how good this collection was and wanted to share the love.

Checkout this crazy pic of the Le Forte Fours' pyramid headphones!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Reigning Sound live album + loadsa oldschool surf music
    Soulwax Nite Versions
    HoustonSoReal Damage Control mp3

+ college dorm muzak