Messed up Kanye West album review from FOX News

Comments

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This shit is hilarious. Where has this guy been for the last twenty years? It's like "Late Registration" is his first encounter with rap music.

-e

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    blah blah blah blah blah

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    This shit is hilarious. Where has this guy been for the last twenty years? It's like "Late Registration" is his first encounter with rap music.

-e

I know, it's pretty funny. "And what's all this talkin' on this here album? Back in my day, we all sang harmonies and we liked it--nobody talked! Sampling? The only sampling I know is when you try one of everything at the buffet!"

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    wow that guy really loves samplebased music

• Roger Friedman... is a dipshit.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    pretty hilarious.

Im sure this revealing review will turn off nearly everyone to the new album. I mean kanye might has well change his name to (con)ye west after this expose. Get it?

Serves him right for blurting out his "hate speech" on a fundraising telethon.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    The only sampling I know is when you try one of everything at the buffet!

From what im hearing elsewhere, bill oreiley is calling kanye a racist.

I just dont get why people wanna stand behind bush like hes god or something.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

I just dont get bill oreiley, period.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

I just dont get bill oreiley, period.

from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168552,00.html

KANYE WEST, RAPPER: The way America is set up to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible, they've given them permission to go down and shoot us. George Bush doesn't care about black people.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

NBC censored those remarks on the West Coast. And the remarks are simply nutty. I mean, come on, West is saying authorities want to shoot blacks? It doesn't get more irresponsible than that.

But what do you expect from an ideologically-driven newspaper industry and the world of rap, where anything goes? What do you expect?

"Talking Points" wants to reinforce two things. First, the huge, bureaucratic government will never be able to protect you. If you rely on government for anything, anything, you're going to be disappointed, no matter who the president is.

For example, engineers knew for decades the levee system in Louisiana could not withstand a Category 5 hurricane, but nobody wanted to pony up the $20 billion to shore it up. That kind of decision happens all day, every day.

Second point, New Orleans is not about race. It's about class. If you're poor, you're powerless, not only in America, but everywhere on earth. If you don't have enough money to protect yourself from danger, danger's going to find you. And all the political gibberish in the world is not going to change that.

The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina should be taught in every American school. If you don't get educated, if you don't develop a skill, and force yurself to work hard, you're most likely be poor. And sooner or later, you'll be standing on a symbolic rooftop waiting for help.

Chances are that help will not be quick in coming.

And that's "The Memo."

The Most Ridiculous Item of the Day

Our great ally France has offered the following in the wake of Katrina: 600 tents, 1,000 cots, some kitchen kits, 60 generators and 12 experts to advise the American Red Cross. --I hope they speak English.

Now I believe the 4-H Club of Bangor, Maine, has topped that offer.

The boycott of France remains intact. Get your bumper stickers on billoreilly.com. To not do so would be ridiculous. Why do they even bother? -- Keep your cots.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

Our great ally France has offered the following in the wake of Katrina: 600 tents, 1,000 cots, some kitchen kits, 60 generators and 12 experts to advise the American Red Cross. --I hope they speak English.

The boycott of France remains intact. Get your bumper stickers on billoreilly.com. To not do so would be ridiculous. Why do they even bother? -- Keep your cots.

My favorite part by far.

The boycott of France remains intact, even when they are offering help. Idiot.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

My favorite part by far.

The boycott of France remains intact, even when they are offering help. Idiot.

And still no response to Cuba's offer of help - is that right? Priorities, priorities...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

plaese pardon my ignorance here but isn't creole sort of based on French?

• pasepase 89 Posts
    my response email to Fox News:

To Roger Friedman or whomever It May Concern,

I just read your review/ story of Kanye West's "Late Registration" and I wanted to clear a few things up. As a Kanye fan who has heard of Gil-Scott Heron, and has a lot of his records, I am a little disappointed in your ignorance on music and Hip Hop music specifically. I know this email will probably go unanswered, it's more a message to your entire stance as a whole. I know you guys are Fox News and you're right wing or whatever, but that doesn't excuse you from being ignorant. your description of sampling is more than a little skewed. Kanye not only "sings" (raps) but he produced almost all of the disc as well. Sampling is basically the aural form of collage. Is Collage not considered art? and do the original recorders of said work always get the credit? but to answer your question about the grammy, yes the original composers do get credit. They are credited as writers of the song in the liner notes and to whatever publishing company owns the rights to said composition. As far as your comparisons to Marvin Gaye goes. I would agree, Kanye is no Marvin Gaye, but like Marvin Gaye he speaks from his heart. Not many people are willing to cross that line these days. We live in a different time. Music nowadays is made with computers. Did you use a pen, a typewriter or a computer to write your story? I would place a wager on the latter. just like the times, music has to change. Whether that change suits your taste or not is irrelevant. Sampling is an accepted form of "composing" songs these days. not just Hip Hop artists do it. Alicia Keys and John Legend, whom you cited as contemporary artists who still "create", both have songs produced by Kanye that were created from samples. Maybe you should have tried to destroy his credibility as a politician instead of an artist. I think you would have been more succesful.

Patrick Johnson.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

I just read your review/ story of Kanye West's "Late Registration" and I wanted to clear a few things up. As a Kanye fan who has heard of Gil-Scott Heron, and has a lot of his records, I am a little disappointed in your ignorance on music and Hip Hop music specifically. I know this email will probably go unanswered, it's more a message to your entire stance as a whole. I know you guys are Fox News and you're right wing or whatever, but that doesn't excuse you from being ignorant. your description of sampling is more than a little skewed. Kanye not only "sings" (raps) but he produced almost all of the disc as well. Sampling is basically the aural form of collage. Is Collage not considered art? and do the original recorders of said work always get the credit? but to answer your question about the grammy, yes the original composers do get credit. They are credited as writers of the song in the liner notes and to whatever publishing company owns the rights to said composition. As far as your comparisons to Marvin Gaye goes. I would agree, Kanye is no Marvin Gaye, but like Marvin Gaye he speaks from his heart. Not many people are willing to cross that line these days. We live in a different time. Music nowadays is made with computers. Did you use a pen, a typewriter or a computer to write your story? I would place a wager on the latter. just like the times, music has to change. Whether that change suits your taste or not is irrelevant. Sampling is an accepted form of "composing" songs these days. not just Hip Hop artists do it. Alicia Keys and John Legend, whom you cited as contemporary artists who still "create", both have songs produced by Kanye that were created from samples. Maybe you should have tried to destroy his credibility as a politician instead of an artist. I think you would have been more succesful.

Patrick Johnson.
    aplause.

• my response email to Fox News:

Patrick Johnson.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Patrick Johnson.

aplause.

• back to the Kanye review. Peep the irony. Talking about how Kanye can't acutally produce music, idiot reviewer offers up....Alicia Keys as an example!

"But times have changed. We have Alicia Keys...and just a few R&B performers who can actually create music. The rest has to be a clever construction."

guess dude never read the Alicia Keys liner notes.

• my response email to Fox News:

Patrick Johnson.

Nice letter. I also responded to the review, although I didn't take it to that level. In retrospect, I could have cleaned up the copy a bit, but here it is in all of its hurried glory.

To editor:

Your review of Kwanye West's new album, "Late Registration," discounts hip-hop as an art form. Throughout the music's more than 20-year history, it has been based on sampling, the act of taking pieces of other artist's music and creating new compositions out of it. Yet your reviewer employs the tired since-it's-sampled-it's-not-really-music argument to baselessly trash this deep and ambitious album that will undoubtedly win several Grammys. It's almost embarrassing, not because the reviewer used this technique to bash West's album, but because it's so obvious why: He criticized Fox News' precious president. The fact that your "Fair and Balanced" "news" station continues to be President George W. Bush's greatest cheerleader is not surprising. The fact that Fox is attempting to bash what is likely the best album of the year -- in any genre of music, sample-based or otherwise -- is.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dude, I think I shit blood from laughing so hard.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Classic

There are plenty of other collaborators on "Late Registration" since West, you know, like Sean "Diddy" Combs and other rap entrepreneurs, does not actually sing.

That's because he, you know, raps.

And did anybody else think this seemed like a bizarre non sequitur?

As he made his unscripted remarks about race, he was sporting his usual Ralph Lauren Polo ensemble. These would be the same clothes worn by President Bush's Kennebunkport relatives as they gaped at their television sets.

Yes, Black people are now actually allowed to shop at the same stores as white people.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Has the man heard "The Chronic" and demanded resitiution for the TK sound? How's about Grandmaster Flash copping ESG less than 3 years after the fact?

A better question: would he even KNOW the samples if they WEREN'T listed?

Plus: I thought GSH was () a political activist[/b] prone to verbal protests and anti-Presidential leanings. Does Mr. FOX-What's-His-Name REALLY want a witness?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

As he made his unscripted remarks about race, he was sporting his usual Ralph Lauren Polo ensemble. These would be the same clothes worn by President Bush's Kennebunkport relatives as they gaped at their television sets.

Yes, Black people are now actually allowed to shop at the same stores as white people.

He's actually attempting to be sneaky while meaning: "Kanye is rich, well-attired, and well-situated and therefore has no right to be an upset nigger."

• And did anybody else think this seemed like a bizarre non sequitur?

Those wacky negroes, next thing you know they'll want to drive Rolls Royces and vacation in the Hamptons!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Those wacky negroes, next thing you know they'll want to be constitutionally allowed to drive Rolls Royces and vacation in the Hamptons!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Second point, New Orleans is not about race. It's about class. If you're poor, you're powerless, not only in America, but everywhere on earth. If you don't have enough money to protect yourself from danger, danger's going to find you. And all the political gibberish in the world is not going to change that.

The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina should be taught in every American school. If you don't get educated, if you don't develop a skill, and force yurself to work hard, you're most likely be poor. And sooner or later, you'll be standing on a symbolic rooftop waiting for help.

Chances are that help will not be quick in coming.

And here's the crux of the whole matter. Conservatives wish that race would go away and that class would simply become a metaphor for "not rying hard enough or having bad moral values".

In the battle of "People should pull themselves up by their bootstraps" vs. "People would benefit from thoughtfully executed, publicly funded development strategies" I am down to struggle with the latter. F these bigots and hard hearts.

• for real. what percentage of these fucks have "pulled themselves up by their bootstraps" and not benefitted from metric tons of privilege?
    i'll be generous and say 8%

fox news is giving kanye perhaps the biggest marketing push of anybody else out right now.

I wonder if they understand this......

probably.

• hilariously transparent!!