Tell me things about Billy Martin the Soul Jets

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
As in: ?

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Billy Martin lived in Montreal for a minute - One of their lps (w/ I turn you on) was re-issued recently, in the style of the invaders or FAT lps, with brown cardboard & glued on cover. Watch out for pretenders.

h

• Options
    YEah, the red covered one. There's an American issue of that LP on Onion. Also has the excellent Strawberry Soul LP on Transworld (Canada/MOntreal) and the earliest one containing funk, DOin THeir Thing on London

...in addtion to Twist records and other r&B business from the early 60's. I've run into about 10-12 of his albums so far...

Belive he was born and in NYC (which has always had a strong musical link to Montreal), played trumpet...and stayed in Canada while on tour (Montreal can do that to you) and didn't leave for a while.

THat's all I know.

K in Canada

• Put out 3 LPs w/ the Soul Jets:

I Turn You On LP (Onion)
    Doin' Their Thing LP (London - Canada)
    Strawberry Soul LP (Trans World - Canada)

plus a 45 from Doin' Their Thing on London, "Peaches N Cream" b/w "The Strut"

Martin also did some EZ lounge jazz LPs on London in the early 60s.

• Options
    Put out 3 LPs w/ the Soul Jets:

I Turn You On LP (Onion)
    Doin' Their Thing LP (London - Canada)
    Strawberry Soul LP (Trans World - Canada)

plus a 45 from Doin' Their Thing on London, "Peaches N Cream" b/w "The Strut"

Martin also did some EZ lounge jazz LPs on London in the early 60s.

That's wrong, Nic. There's a r&B one with them on it ...and a singer similar to the one with Ricky Day. Also, more than one 45 on London - I've seen about 6.

K.