Give me some tips!

bropsbrops 182 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I need music, and the diggin' opportunities here in Oslo, Norway is not the best (some alright places, but you'll never find the real goods). To this day I've just been an indie kid, listening to all kinds of new music in all different genres, but I'm feeling a little full of the new stuff, and recently I've (re)discovered a lot of good old funk, jazz and such.So this is the deal; I like it raw! I like it when James Brown plays like Jimi Hendrix. I like it when Miles Davis does the same. I like it when Sun Ra play that jazz like he was born and raised in the jungle of Saturn. I like it when soul masters like Terry Callier and Eugene McDaniels get inspired by folk music. I especially like the political and bright lyrics from Donny Hathaway, Gil Scott-Heron and Curtis Mayfield. And let me not forget the King of african music, Fela Kuti. I like drums that hit hard!But still I feel I'm just touching the surface of it all, and I want to break through that surface now. My time has come, and I'm a little fed up about diggin' these poor little shops here in Norway for hours without finding a single record I want to spend money on. eBay next, but I need to prepare. I need to read and get me some knowledge. Please, please help me just to get a crack in this surface, then I'll do the rest!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Really good disco/country/rocknroll/pop/easylistening fusion album that's way ahead of its time............proto mashup LP.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Looks great!! That guy looks familiar though!

• Don't knock it! there is actually a break on there

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Don't knock it! there is actually a break on there

"Born To Hand Jive" drum break.........yeah yeah yeah

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    But really, I'm not looking for breaks in particular, I'm looking for music to listen to. I've been raised with the soundtrack from Saturday Night Fever in my ears because of my mom, so I've got enough of that shit.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I know I will get heat for this from a lot of corners, but this site provides a lot of information about a very wide variety of music, you just need to keep your filter on:

http://www.dustygroove.com

also check here
    http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/
    and check the a-z Motown67 reviews.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I know I will get heat for this from a lot of corners, but this site provides a lot of information about a very wide variety of music, you just need to keep your filter on:

http://www.dustygroove.com

also check here
    http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/
    and check the a-z Motown67 reviews.

Anyone ever notice that you can't look at Dusty Groove shit that comes up for Google searches, except for pictures? Not that I want to use Dusty Groove as any kind of database or something,but sometimes when I'm goggling some obscure shit for my radio jawn, a listing of theirs will come up in a google search that looks helpful - but when I try to click to it (even using "cache") it just defaults back to the homepage or brings up an error screen...not a good business look on their part, since people googling for stuff to buy get steered away from the product they want, ya know?

• Go to http://www.turntablelab.com and just listen to a lot of their soundclips. Pick up a lot of mixtapes. There's also a thread on here somewhere about party tracks.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I need music, and the diggin' opportunities here in Oslo, Norway is not the best (some alright places, but you'll never find the real goods). To this day I've just been an indie kid, listening to all kinds of new music in all different genres, but I'm feeling a little full of the new stuff, and recently I've (re)discovered a lot of good old funk, jazz and such.

So this is the deal; I like it raw! I like it when James Brown plays like Jimi Hendrix. I like it when Miles Davis does the same. I like it when Sun Ra play that jazz like he was born and raised in the jungle of Saturn. I like it when soul masters like Terry Callier and Eugene McDaniels get inspired by folk music. I especially like the political and bright lyrics from Donny Hathaway, Gil Scott-Heron and Curtis Mayfield. And let me not forget the King of african music, Fela Kuti. I like drums that hit hard!

But still I feel I'm just touching the surface of it all, and I want to break through that surface now. My time has come, and I'm a little fed up about diggin' these poor little shops here in Norway for hours without finding a single record I want to spend money on. eBay next, but I need to prepare. I need to read and get me some knowledge. Please, please help me just to get a crack in this surface, then I'll do the rest!

If you don't have this Miles Davis already I'd recommend it.

You need Sun Ra's "languidity" if you don't already, amazing record.

As far as Curtis Mayfield, I'd highly recommend "never say you can't survive". Super slept on lp plus it should be cheap too.

Hope that helps man.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

As far as Curtis Mayfield, I'd highly recommend "Get, Give, Take Have"[/b]. Super slept on lp plus it should be cheap too.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Thanks guys. I have both On the Corners (cd, though) and Lanquidity (actually bought from turntablelab a while ago, as some of you recommended). I'll check out more Curtis Mayfield stuff, I only have Roots and Superfly.

If there is more sites like dustygroove and turntablelab out there, don't have to be shop, but just sites with good info, I'd be happy to know.