Sly Stone OG Radio Joint (w/Link)

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
This is pretty cool, a short collection of clips of Sly when he was a radio DJ on KSOL in San Francisco in 1967. His patter is smooth and sly...It gets a little annoying how all the songs get cut short, but his playlist is dope! O.V. Wright, Jimmy Ruffin, etc - and it's worth listening just for the Schlitz malt liquor ads with Milt Jackson & Clark Terry! Sly Stone - Radio DJ

Comments

• I'd like to hear the Grace Slick song he produced. I heard but it would be interesting none tha less.

• It gets a little annoying how all the songs get cut short, but his playlist is dope! O.V. Wright, Jimmy Ruffin, etc

YEAH, but you can get those in any ole used rekkid store! The REAL shit to listen for is

the Schlitz malt liquor ads with Milt Jackson & Clark Terry!

...plus Sly's rapid-fire patter, which is actually an octave higher than the way I thought he'd sound...I thought he'd be rapping in the same bass voice he used to get the Woodstock audience to sing along with him and the Family Stone...Lord, this man was a genius before the cocaine ate him up...thanks a lot for posting the link, bro!

BTW, there must have been some kind of correlation between jazz musicians and beer/wine radio ads in the sixties...ever hear that CD of Sonny Hopson radio transcriptions from a Philly station in '69, with Kenny Burrell shilling for some kind of wine?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    BTW, there must have been some kind of correlation between jazz musicians and beer/wine radio ads in the sixties...ever hear that CD of Sonny Hopson radio transcriptions from a Philly station in '69, with Kenny Burrell shilling for some kind of wine?

Yes! I love that Hopson disc - I have actually swiped some of the old ads from there ("Mystery of Black" pomade ad with James Brown, "The Dells are coming...The Dells are Coming!!" and the awesome ad for the Sex Machine) to play on my own radio gig. I blast that CD in the car all the time, too.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'd like to hear the Grace Slick song he produced. I heard but it would be interesting none tha less.

You mean other than the original The Great Society version of "Someone to Love?" That does have pretty awful sound, like it was an audience recording from a live show in a high school auditorium. He produced almost everything on the Autumn label for a few years, including the hits by the Beau Brummels and some garage rock classics like the Mojo Men.

• BTW, there must have been some kind of correlation between jazz musicians and beer/wine radio ads in the sixties...ever hear that CD of Sonny Hopson radio transcriptions from a Philly station in '69, with Kenny Burrell shilling for some kind of wine?

Yes! I love that Hopson disc - I have actually swiped some of the old ads from there ("Mystery of Black" pomade ad with James Brown, "The Dells are coming...The Dells are Coming!!" and the awesome ad for the Sex Machine) to play on my own radio gig. I blast that CD in the car all the time, too.

Ha, ha, yeah - the Sex Machine! That's the club that (according to the ad) had a psychedelic dance floor and (get ready for this) a fortune teller. I wonder how long THAT lasted? Especially when somebody who obviously had too much to drink or smoke decides to check in with the crystal ball?