NOLA/southern LA record help..Funky16corners help!

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
We are having a record swap here in Memphis next Sunday with all proceeds going to relief effort...also Shingaling and I are making comps/mixes of all NOLA and Southern LA soul, funk and rnb to sell with all the money going to relief as well...thing is, out of the 2000+ 45s that shingaling and myself have there has to be some records that are NOLA artist that we are unaware of...as you know some 45s dont have squat as info on them, but we figured the more NOLA records we have, the more mixes that can be made, thus more stuff for folks to buy, thus more money can be made...so, although this is a weird little request, post every NOLA soul/rnb.funk artist you know of , it might help us sort our records...i.e. is Frankie Newsome a NOLA artist? Jesse Anderson(some of his early records were on Jewel)?..this is getting confusing...thanks!!!!

Comments

• pretty sure Frankie and Jessie are Chicago dudes.

• Hmmmmm...folks that usually get left out are people like King Floyd, Jean Knight, Joe Tex, Don Covay, Tommy Ridgley, Earl King, LLoyd Price, Larry Williams, Merry Clayton (all NOLA folks). 'Humphrey Stomp' by Earl Garrison is a NOLA record I found about late in the game (I had it, just didn't know it was NOLA).
    You could also include Louisiana artists that aren't specifically NOLA like Toussaint McCall, Little Willie & The Mighty Magnificents.
    Pzazz Records was run by NOLA expatriate Paul Gayten.

I'll keep thinking and see what I can come up with...

• Please cross-post on the message board at http://www.ponderosastomp.com

still waiting for word on Dave Bartholomew and Alex Chilton (among others)

• cool!!! thanks...I was on the fence about King Floyd, for some reason I thought he was a Miami dude...how about these?

Martha Turner
    Irene Reid
    Lavell Hardy
    John Roberts
    Dynamic Walter B and the New Breed
    Bobby Stone
    Earnest Jackson
    Jesse Gresham
    Gloria Walker
    Jimy Jones

• Please cross-post on the message board at http://www.ponderosastomp.com

still waiting for word on Dave Bartholomew and Alex Chilton (among others)

somebody told me there was a picture of some refugees and a person who looked very much like Alex was in the crowd..I am still trying to get a copy/link of said picture...

• Irene Reid -- New York, I believe
    Lavell Hardy -- Miami, FL
    John Roberts ---Houston, Texas
    Dynamic Walter B and the New Breed --Baton Rouge, LA
    Bobby Stone ---Chicago, IL
    Earnest Jackson ---Baton Rouge, LA
    Gloria Walker --- Detroit , MI
    Jimmy Jones -- Chicago, IL

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Not to hijack too much, but I was going to put a similar post up so maybe some people can help...I am going to be doing an extended tribute to artists from the Louisiana & Mississippi area on my Radio Show monday, and was hoping for some less likely suggestions of artists from the area - I of course have tons of NOLA soul ready to go, and some Miss. stuff as well, but I'm really looking for names of rock/garage/psych acts from the area, and some more soul artists from Mississippi, as well as any folk or not-so-mainstream country performers.
    Any help from you guys will be great, I'm going to be working on this show a LOT over the next 48 hours. Thanks in advance.

• Irene Reid -- New York, I believe
    Lavell Hardy -- Miami, FL
    John Roberts ---Houston, Texas
    Dynamic Walter B and the New Breed --Baton Rouge, LA
    Bobby Stone ---Chicago, IL
    Earnest Jackson ---Baton Rouge, LA
    Gloria Walker --- Detroit , MI
    Jimmy Jones -- Chicago, IL

thanks man...

• cool!!! thanks...I was on the fence about King Floyd, for some reason I thought he was a Miami dude...how about these?

King Floyd born and raised in NOLA. I believe aside from recording for Chimneyville with Wardell Quezerque he did some earlier recording on the west coast (NOrthern soulies might know more about that)...

• 2 questions... Is the Goldband label from New Orleans or Texas? Is the Josie label a New Orleans label? Non Meters stuff.

Hey E...I'm definitly not just using N.O. Pretty much anything from the state of Louisiana.

• 2 questions... Is the Goldband label from New Orleans or Texas? Is the Josie label a New Orleans label? Non Meters stuff.

If anyone can help me with this by the end of the day...I would be most grateful.

• Goldband was based in Lake Charles, LA (west of Lafayette)...moved from Texas.

Wasn't Josie associated with Jubilee Records? So, no?

• I think Josie is not from Nola, always thought they were based in NY for some reason

• Hmmmmm...folks that usually get left out are people like King Floyd, Jean Knight, Joe Tex, Don Covay, Tommy Ridgley, Earl King, LLoyd Price, Larry Williams, Merry Clayton (all NOLA folks). 'Humphrey Stomp' by Earl Garrison is a NOLA record I found about late in the game (I had it, just didn't know it was NOLA).
    You could also include Louisiana artists that aren't specifically NOLA like Toussaint McCall, Little Willie & The Mighty Magnificents.

What makes Joe Tex and Don Covay New Orleans?

What makes Joe Tex and Don Covay New Orleans?

I replied via PM, but basiclaly nothing...
    I was working under a mistaken assumption...should have checked my work...

• more known but just in case...

james booker (is peacock based in NOLA???)
    henry butler
    lloyd price
    (i think) dean and jean (tommy tucker spin-off group)

i know i'll think of more in a little bit...

gabe

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    We are having a record swap here in Memphis next Sunday with all proceeds going to relief effort...also Shingaling and I are making comps/mixes of all NOLA and Southern LA soul, funk and rnb to sell with all the money going to relief as well...thing is, out of the 2000+ 45s that shingaling and myself have there has to be some records that are NOLA artist that we are unaware of...as you know some 45s dont have squat as info on them, but we figured the more NOLA records we have, the more mixes that can be made, thus more stuff for folks to buy, thus more money can be made...so, although this is a weird little request, post every NOLA soul/rnb.funk artist you know of , it might help us sort our records...i.e. is Frankie Newsome a NOLA artist? Jesse Anderson(some of his early records were on Jewel)?..this is getting confusing...thanks!!!!

Well, you could just make a Seven B (Eddie Bo rel.) 2CD comp (replete with pt. 1 & 2 blends) and I'd be happy.
    I'd buy THAT for a dollar (yes Robocop).

• (is peacock based in NOLA???)

Houston