Recent Finds

1121314151618»

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,118 Posts
    The Saul Bass connection checks out since the first and only feature film he directed ('Phase IV', a trippy movie about hyper intelligent ants) included Stomu Yamashita's music, but for a scene which was unfortunately cut in the original release. 

Between this, the "Sea & Sky" cover art above (which was used for a 1980 short film he directed called 'The Solar Film') and the poster he made for an earlier (1968) experimental short film he also directed called 'Why Man Creates', I can tell he was into the setting sun motif.

As for the record I found this weekend, it almost completes my collection of pre-Go Yamashita, some of which were used for 'The Man Who Fell To Earth' (percussive/ambient) and a Formula 1 doc called 'One By One' (more on the jazz-rock side)
    Jimster

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,151 Posts
     the fines from St John's.  wife's from owen sound and grew up going to (still go to) summerfoik.  this is the only recording of the festival eva!  

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,151 Posts
    hypno-tekno gold 
    Electrode

Swap meet finds. Fredera is the only LP from the Som Imaginário guitarist who played with the best of the best in MPB. Astrud is in unplayed condition. Egberto Gismonti is the LP he released after the excellent "Corações Futuristas" but before he signed with ECM, starting with "Dança Das Cabeças". Rare Bird is their debut. I owned a Uriah Heep record before. This is their second one.

Hopefully this won't be the last finds post I'll make here as I'll make an effort to do some record shopping while in Salvador, Bahia in two weeks, which coincides with SS going offline soon after.
    billbradleyklezmer electro-thug beatsJimsterketan

I had no idea that the Uriah Heep title track was used for the background story roll in "Water Margin", the film 

ketan

• Electrode said:

A majority of these are Christmas gifts. The first three Brazilian records are reissues, of course. I'm fortunate to have friends who are on my same wavelength. "Alan Parsons Project" is their "debut" (/Dr. Evil). Hummingbird is Bernard Purdie with Jeff Beck's crew. Rare Bird has one of the best Morricone versions I have heard. I saw Andrea Centazzo play with his trio at a local universalist church last week. It was real solid of him to sell me his last copy and to throw in some of his "best of" sampler CDs from his Ictus label. He even signed an bio insert on an Italian jazz comp I found in the dollar bin a few years back. Also pictured is Bayete's auto, who I also met recently.

That Bayete LP is great.   Got a copy 15 years ago for $35...not signed, though!