Soul Strut 25. This is the End.

2»

  Comments


  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    And just in case we've lost Noz forever, here's his '23 rap list.

  • Damn, the announcement comes down just as I'm on a two week vacation away from computers. Sad to see it go, but it isn't what it was, for sure. I still have the pre-crash HTML archive, I listened to "Rockin' With Seka" in like 2000 on RealfuckingAudio as a mid-teenager just getting into music that wasn't on the radio, read the forums for like 10 years but didn't get around to posting actively till things were slowing down. Oh well, I hope you do the exit justice, Raj, and thanks for the decades of effort. 

    Stuff like this is the only thing electronic communications have that approaches a real community - a dude devotes his own time and effort to sustaining a place where one can form. Once ad sales are the business, or subscriptions, or automatically harvested personal data, that community shit is out the window.

    So much of the music that's sustained me in life, whole genres and such, I found out about from the Strut, so thanks to all of you, especially Superpoaster and Puto Bong Bong.
    JimsterketanRAJ

  • some of the best years of my life.





    joelkbo@gmail.com
    joelkbo IG
    ketanRAJDuderonomy

  • RAJ said:
    Frank said:
    dizzybull said:
    This entire website should be preserved by the Smithsonian. It’s important, dammit. 

    Nothing is important. The entire, regrettable story of humanity isn't more than a brief nightmare, this fucked up planet had to tumble through on its way towards the nearest black hole. Why should anybody care about what music we made? Why, of all that, the tiny fraction ever pressed on vinyl records? Why should it matter, how these records were bought, way past the official shelf life, by people who didn't have anything better to do at the time and then, gasp, posted about the experience on a message board that's been dead for more than a decade?

    If this sounds like hot shit, why doesn't anybody collect or "dig" for the most memorable threads and fill up the space in between with the basic knowledge needed for civilians to be able and follow? To be safe, better first run those "most memorable threads" by a non-biased group to see if there's really anything of interest. Maybe this doesn't leave much meat on a cancerous bone but with records drying up and procreation having turned out as a shit idea, hopefully for even the most desperate and hormonally challenged amongst the dumbest of fuckers, perhaps someone will make this their new hobby.

    *edit: hmmm... simultaneous post on the "other" forum by an alcoholic ex-record shop owner who seems like the perfect candidate. Brush that homeless beard to a shine Johnny and walk towards glory, even if it's just a hole in the wall.

    PS: Should have called me for rare Kung Fu flix, bet you didn't even have the Crippled Masters or Kung F**k in your collection, been digging for og vhs rears since 1986

      


    ketanDuderonomy

  • DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Well, damn. I'm clearly one of those guys who faded away a while back, but to say the 'Strut had an impact on my life would be understating it. The people I met (or maybe only e-met) here, the ridiculous amount of knowledge I got to soak up from the certified Big Dudes, the incredible stories, the legendary threads, and of course, the in-jokes and phenomenal graemlins that I still reference to this day...man. This community was a big part of a really exciting period of my life. Social media is some bullshit, but Teh Strut is     


    ketan

  • DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Oh, one other thing that deserves its own poast: To this day, Heatrocks for Katrina remains one of the most amazing things I've been a part of (and I even still have some of the records I won in those auctions). To see a fractious community immediately come together, get on the same page, and step up like that was  Huge props to everybody who made that happen.

    As a related note, the story of Sween sending his Stark Reality heatrock (wasn't that the origin of the term "Sween" meaning "a thousand dollars?") back to Matthew Africa's family after MA's passing is some of the realest shit ever.
    ketanJimsternzshadowDuderonomy

  • Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    Fuck.


    One day I'm going to give my kids your book to read. Just saying.


  • dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    nzshadow said:
    Fuck.


    One day I'm going to give my kids your book to read. Just saying.

    Don’t forget the 45


  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ketan said:

     The one Duder once gifted me with a baggie of lettuce in Barcelona when I was on my way to a music festival and needed just that kind of support. (Thank you again, Duder!  You will always be the Thriller-era Quincy to my Michael for that. Hee-hee!)


    Yeah, no problem, thing for me is that I regret that I had the obligatory joint with my man and as an infrequent inhaler/total lightweight, I was completely skullfucked the one and only time I met you. Couldn't even find the Cat Zoo!

    ketan

  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ketan said:
    I'd also love to see something new emerge from Teh Strut before it dies.  I don't know what that means or looks like.  Maybe it's just a sick mixtape swap or record auction before we say goodbye.  

    I think this would be a great idea, it might get a few old-timers out-of-the-woodwork and would be a nice way to remember why we all came here - sharing music. If it gets announced now(ish), I think even the least punctual could have something ready by October.

    ketan

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    ketan said:n

     The one Duder once gifted me with a baggie of lettuce in Barcelona when I was on my way to a music festival and needed just that kind of support. (Thank you again, Duder!  You will always be the Thriller-era Quincy to my Michael for that. Hee-hee!)


    Yeah, no problem, thing for me is that I regret that I had the obligatory joint with my man and as an infrequent inhaler/total lightweight, I was completely skullfucked the one and only time I met you. Couldn't even find the Cat Zoo!

    haha - no it was a great evening.  the streets are so lovely in the summer like that - memorable.  especially without the kids!

    went on to my fucking restaurant, which was   

    Duderonomy

  • kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Frank said:
    dizzybull said:
    This entire website should be preserved by the Smithsonian. It’s important, dammit. 

    Nothing is important. The entire, regrettable story of humanity isn't more than a brief nightmare, this fucked up planet had to tumble through on its way towards the nearest black hole. Why should anybody care about what music we made? Why, of all that, the tiny fraction ever pressed on vinyl records? Why should it matter, how these records were bought, way past the official shelf life, by people who didn't have anything better to do at the time and then, gasp, posted about the experience on a message board that's been dead for more than a decade?

    If this sounds like hot shit, why doesn't anybody collect or "dig" for the most memorable threads and fill up the space in between with the basic knowledge needed for civilians to be able and follow? To be safe, better first run those "most memorable threads" by a non-biased group to see if there's really anything of interest. Maybe this doesn't leave much meat on a cancerous bone but with records drying up and procreation having turned out as a shit idea, hopefully for even the most desperate and hormonally challenged amongst the dumbest of fuckers, perhaps someone will make this their new hobby.

    *edit: hmmm... simultaneous post on the "other" forum by an alcoholic ex-record shop owner who seems like the perfect candidate. Brush that homeless beard to a shine Johnny and walk towards glory, even if it's just a hole in the wall.

    PS: Should have called me for rare Kung Fu flix, bet you didn't even have the Crippled Masters or Kung F**k in your collection, been digging for og vhs rears since 1986

    woah



    I thought me and my other alter ego wore the king douchebag crown of soulstrut but this post take the douchecake

    i have nothing but respect fo you and your reish african game

    sorry to see you've become so fatalistic.

    i beg to differ on many levels

    peace

    Duderonomydizzybull

  • kalakala 3,361 Posts
    DAMM I learned so much over 2 decades +!!!!
    thanks RAJ MAHAL
     it's a sad day to see the strut finally bite the dust





    Duderonomydizzybull

  • kalakala 3,361 Posts

    PS
    my son collectro funk 45

  • CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hi everyone - hope you are all doing awesome! Was thinking about Soul Strut this morning so wanted to come over here and say hello to whomever is left here and specifically to Raj who built a really amazing (and legit life changing) thing here with this board. Thanks so much Raj, you and work are truly appreciated!

    And to all the people who came by here and spent time, I hope you all go forward into the future with peace and love. This was a wonderful community and was profoundly enriching in so many ways and I am proud to have been a part of it. 

    Here's to what's to come down the road!
    JimsterDuderonomybillbradleyRAJkicks79pacman

  • dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

    Most of all, I will miss the graemlins. 

      

      

       

    billbradley

  • Massive Respect RAJ.  You provided a home for a lot of us music heads early on in this internet thing.  Thank you and much success to you going forward.
    Duderonomy

  • ketan said:
    I'd also love to see something new emerge from Teh Strut before it dies.  I don't know what that means or looks like.  Maybe it's just a sick mixtape swap or record auction before we say goodbye.  

    I think this would be a great idea, it might get a few old-timers out-of-the-woodwork and would be a nice way to remember why we all came here - sharing music. If it gets announced now(ish), I think even the least punctual could have something ready by October.


    I am down, I've actually got a little tape project half done anyway...

    Thanks to Steen Rock for lacing me with his amazing Direct to Tape uh, tape, inspiring me to look into the insane ease and low cost of making your own little custom cassette releases.


  • akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    My first post in over a decade. Just hopped on here to go back through the archives and saw this post. Soulstrut literally changed my life. Thanks for everything Raj, you legitimately made an enormous impact on the music world. Some may not even recognize or fully acknowledge it...but
    Electrodeklezmer electro-thug beatsDuderonomyketanRAJppadilha

  • MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Thanks for everything, Raj. All good things must come to an end. This place has a special place in my heart.
    Duderonomybillbradley

  • I couldn't figure out how to log in with my old account to poast.

    I can't thank Raj and the cadre of duders that lead me to teh breakz, and beyond. God bless America, and all the ships at sea. 
    Duderonomy

  • Also... the Strut 200 continues to reveal new dimensions to me (though while I understand Sayer being on there, it hasn't blown my mind yet). I got a new dedicated music player (mainly cause I hate doing that stuff with touchscreens) and have been going through my digital stuff filling it up. That pile is turning up some stuff I'd ignored before.

    Raj's work on stuff like that, beyond just keeping the site up, shouldn't be overlooked.
    ketanJimsterDuderonomy
Sign In or Register to comment.