Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    lol

Les McCann

JimsterppadilhaElectrode

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    David Soul!

I am old enough to remember "Starsky and Hutch", and the iconic Ford Torino.

He had some chart hits over here off the back of the show, and he was also a good foil to James Mason in "Salem's Lot" which is imho still undefeated for Most Scary Boss Vampire.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    And "Magnum Force", too.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Marlena Shaw

JimsterDuderonomyketanklezmer electro-thug beats

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Damo Suzuki. The lyrics aren’t really why I listen to Can, but the guy was on some great tracks.
    ako

Aw, he was still an interesting performer in his later years.   RIP.
    Duderonomy

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Saddened to hear of the passing of Paul Nice. One of my favourite DJs and producers. I can't express how influential Breaks for Days, JFK to Narita and the Soul on the Grill series were to me.
    Duderonomybillbradleyketanklezmer electro-thug beatspacmankaladj_cityboy

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts

RIP Patti Astor
    I have seen at least half a dozen people on IG posting this Wild Style clip tonight. 
    A to the K. 
    Time to repost the Soulstrut 

I know, I am late to this post, seven years to be exact. I am from the Bronx, I was featured in the movie Wild Style as a graffiti writer which I was a prolific graffiti writer in the late 70s early 80s,  I know exactly what Pookie said. 

Pookie was a known older member of a street gang known as the  9-Crew which were the West Bronx off-shoot of the disbanded Black Spades Gang division from University Avenue. Slick Rick referenced University Avenue in his song Children's Stories because it was the infamous border line between The Casanova Crew and the 9-Crew in the South / West Bronx area mainly and strictly controlled by the 9-Crew. It was a 9-Crew member that shot and killed DJ Scott La Rock on University Avenue in 1987 shortly after he and KRS One burst on the rap scene. 

The 9-Crew were mostly stick-up kids and membership into the crew was 3-fold;
    a). You had to own a .9 millimeter gun and carry it with you at all times;
    b). You had to have robbed someone using the .9mm in the presence of an established 9-Crew member;
    c). You had to live in the Highbridge section of the Bronx. 

If you listen to Pookie he asked Patti Astor’s character do you smoke and she replied I had enough then he asked her do you sniff, do you want to sniff ? She replies no , not right now. He was talking about sniffing cocaine. That is when his partner said the line “ Look, here people you've heard it on the radio, you seen on the TV show.” Then the other actor sats “Aid to the cane.” meaning aid to them getting cocaine. It was a quite common saying from older stickup dudes as they were always sniffing cocaine back then. They would come up anyone, they did not care if they knew you or not. If you lived in their building on the same floor it did not matter to them. If you were rolling solo with no street crew affiliation then you were fair game like anyone else. They would say “Yo, yo whats up wit ya ? Aid to the cane. In other words give me money so I can go buy cocaine.  Pookie then while pulling out the sawed off shot-gun said A to the motherfucking C a shorten version of aid to the cane. This is what was said 100 percent. If you were from the Bronx back in the early 80s and you were living that life OR you got victimized by a stick up crew then you know what was said. I was affiliated quickly after I got stuck up for my down coat in 1978 at gun point. I vowed that was never going to happen to me ever again. I was 14 in 1978. I got jumped by 2 dudes who were 17 and 18 both with guns walking home from junior high school. That was the life in the Bronx back then. 

DuderonomyJimsterdj_cityboy

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    Saddened to hear of the passing of Paul Nice. One of my favourite DJs and producers. I can't express how influential Breaks for Days, JFK to Narita and the Soul on the Grill series were to me.

This is crazy to me. I just saw that this morning and immediately thought of here when Paul was sending out his Black Album remix CD's. Truly a shame.

Duderonomy

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    RIP  Mr Cee
    legend

RIP Rico Wade - staggering influence, one of the greats

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    holy shit….damn i am gutted over Patti, it was over 10 years ago on facebook when she added me randomly out of the blue and i was blown away. we talked off and on about WildStyle and a bunch of other stuff, i was having one of those “holy cow celebrity moments” i reached out nearly every st pats day to wish her a happy birthday, regrettably about 2 years ago i stopped giving a fuck about facebook and i am shook right now… damn rip patti
    billbradley