2023 R.I.P. Thread

124»

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    RIP Rudolph Isely

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/oct/12/rudolph-isley-founding-member-of-the-isleys-brothers-dies-at-84

Used to bump the J.Period mix constantly back when it came out. It's a nice little tribute to the influence the brothers had over modern music. 

https://jperiod.bandcamp.com/album/j-period-presents-best-of-the-isley-brothers-remixed-mixtape
    ketanElectrode

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    RIP Chrissy

ketandj_cityboybillbradley

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    Chrissy 4eva   RIP
    dj_cityboyDOR

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    oh man totally gutted with Chrissy, ugh… Three’s Company was my shit when i was a kid, couple years ago i found a channel (retroTV…or some shit in canada) that had the show on nightly and binged it hard, went out and bought the dvds, the nostalgia was real…classic show with an amazing cast.. Joyce Dewitt is still kicking, as is Richard Kline..

good times, yo!

RIP Chrissy

*edit- damn Joyce is so hot in that pic, lol

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P. Mark The 45 King. 
    ketanbillbradleyElectrodedj_cityboyDuderonomyYemsky

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    His Beats Of The Month were the best. Preemo's eulogy was beautiful.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    RIP Shaft - Richard Roundtree was in icon
    JimsterElectrodeklezmer electro-thug beats

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Carla Bley.

A great pianist and composer, had that beautiful minimal-but-complex stuff mastered.  I discovered her work though Andy Sheppard back in the 90s.  Well worth checking, don't let her brutal glare and haircut deter you.

Brain cancer.  Must have been heartbreaking for Steve Swallow, her bassist and life partner.
    Electrode

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Richard: the "Shaft" trilogy is timeless, but I like the 80s movies he did too ("Q", "The Banker", "One Down, Two To Go", etc). Even in somewhat thankless roles he commanded respect.

Carla: you couldn't say she lacked originality. 'Dinner Music' is awesome.

I got the chance to speak with Andy a while back and he had nothing but great things to say about Carla (and Steve).  I never got to see her play live but hopefully she's inspired people to continue work in that direction.  Yeah, Dinner Music is a favourite.  Lawns is another beautiful piece.

It's called "Lawns" because that's how Larry (Lawrence) Willis, her band pianist, pronounced his first name.  Despite the austere vibe, she was pretty playful at heart, by all accounts.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Matthew Perry, dang! and only 54

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P. Amp Fiddler
    Jimster

mini said:
    R.I.P. Amp Fiddler

Met him maybe 2 or 3 times, says on Wiki he was 65?  I don't know if that's correct but whatever he was on, he looked younger than me and certainly not 65.

miniketan