2023 R.I.P. Thread

Comments

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P. Wayne Shorter

ElectrodeketanJimsterDuderonomy

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

There is a massive back catalogue, but this is a favourite Wayne set for me.  Above all the work he did with Miles.  I like singing along with the hook : "It's a f*cking Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch hunt".  Those long Winter nights just fly by in my house.

Wayne had been frail AF for a while, so 90 is a good bat.  Last thing he was working on was an opera piece with Esperanza Spalding, IIRC.

Safe travels Wayne.  
    ketanhamNcheeseminiElectrode

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Carlos Garnett (December 1, 1938 – March 3, 2023)

ppadilhaElectrodeJimsterketan

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    RIP Lewis Largent:

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    RIP Bobby Caldwell

RIP Bobby Caldwell

He'll come back to let us know...

Srs doe, great musician, I used to think he was just about the vocals but I love this '78 Miami Beach version the above "What You Won't Do...." , shredding and with that hipster look that would be dead right in 2023.

ketanElectrodebillbradley

RIP Bobby Caldwell.  HIs Carry On album is probably my fave of his catalogue.

JimsterElectrode

Says on Wiki he got Ill offa the effects of Fluoroquinolones.  I wonder if it was a vaxxx stance? 

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    "This guy was white?!?" comments on the Twit...haha

Anti-vaxxer, though...probably not. A few sources say that he was taking that type of antibiotics for several years for his neuropathy and that did him in. I had to take Cephalexin three times a day for a week after an insect bite in the back of my calf, which I itched raw in my sleep, caused a nasty golf ball sized infection recently. It is my understanding that it should only be taken for the short term because of the side effects and the body builds up tolerance/immunity.
    Jimster

Yikes!  Hope your leg is better now.  I never seem to get bitten, maybe they know I am a vampire?

I checked fb for Bobby's news today:

Many of you have been asking about Bobby's condition. Your concern is greatly appreciated.
    In January of 2017 Bobby was given an antibiotic. After taking the drug for several days he experienced bilateral Achilles tendon ruptures, and developed peripheral neuropathy. Despite these injuries, Bobby continued to perform with the aid of a wheelchair, cane, and his helpers. Unfortunately, Bobby's condition continues to worsen. He has a great deal of neuropathy pain, and his mobility is limited.

Bobby had always planned on performing and making music for the rest of his life. He never could have anticipated what happened to him. It's truly heartbreaking.

Over the past couple of years many of you have sent Bobby greeting cards and letters. It lifts his spirits. He reads all of the correspondence.
    If you're interested in sending a note to Bobby, his mailing address is:
    Bobby Caldwell
    P.O. Box 6
    Great Meadows, NJ 07838
    Please keep Bobby in your thoughts and prayers.
    FLOXED (LOOK IT UP)

Floxed : "According to Regenerative Medicine L.A., being “floxed” means “your body has suffered from mitochondrial damage and oxidative stress due to an adverse effect from a fluoroquinolone antibiotic.”

Electrode said:
    "This guy was white?!?" comments on the Twit...haha

Seriously, if someone likes his music, how could they not know this?  In the Google era?  I left twitter because of this kind of shit.  I bet there are deniers, like the videos are all a stooge miming.  I got into a discussion with a dude selling mixtapes in NY who insisted Me'Shell Ndegeocello was Chuck D's daughter.  I mentioned they were not that far apart in age but dude wouldn't have it.  (Just googled it, 8 years difference).

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P. Fuzzy Haskins
    ketanJimster

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P. Ryūichi Sakamoto
    JimsterElectrode

mini said:
    R.I.P. Ryūichi Sakamoto

Went over the YMO catalogue last year, they were years ahead of their time. 

mini

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    RIP Jah Shaka

Cynara Faria (Quarteto Em Cy) and Mary Quant
    ppadilha

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Ahmad Jamal
    miniElectrodeDuderonomyppadilhaJimsterklezmer electro-thug beats

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Electrode said:

Cynara who put out only one solo LP, a forgotten Tropicalia-adjacent grail:

Electrodeklezmer electro-thug beats

ketan said:
    Ahmad Jamal

What can you say about this year?  Brutal, some of jazz/expanisive music's biggest talents passing.  92 was a great innings though.
    This for starters as a celebraton : 

Ahmad Jamal - Misdemeanor

• ppadilha said:
    Electrode said:

Cynara who put out only one solo LP, a forgotten Tropicalia-adjacent grail:

Damn. I will never run out of new stuff to run across and go "if I ever come across this in the wild I would die happy". Thanks for linking that LP.

ppadilha

RIP Ivan Conti aka Mamão from Azymuth

maybe in 50 years time people will start to understand everything he did and see how influential he's been
    miniElectrodeklezmer electro-thug beatsJimsterketan

Gordon Lightfoot. This song always hit me.

I honestly can't say I went out of my way for his records, but respect due to Harry Belafonte.
    RAJ

RIP Gordon Lightfoot

• Belafonte's music has been delightful to my young kids, and to me, much preferable to songs made by the netflix/youtube kids sweatshop.

RIP Rita Lee

ElectrodeJimstermini

I just heard. Coincidentally, on Sunday I asked a group of people who were standing next to me talking before the Djavan show if it wouldn't be awkward if I listen in and join the conversation because I am learning. They enthusiastically welcomed me and I introduced myself. One of the women wanted to test my knowledge so she asked me who was the woman on her shirt: a watercolor image, red hair with a flower in it and 60s style glasses. I said, "of course, that's Rita Lee". I mean, even record stores in suburban Montana or wherever have reissues of Mutantes LPs prominently displayed, right? Everyone was like, "WTF, how did you know that?!? The hell, man!!!!!" I know, 'Cool story, bro', but I got a laugh out of it.

ppadilha

RIP Dum Dum of Facção Central fame

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P. Tina Turner
    DuderonomyJimsterklezmer electro-thug beatsElectrode

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Tina? Nooooo….

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    RIP Redd Holt - Y/H Unlimited are one of my all-time favorite bands.
    Electrode