David Banner Appreciation

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central

A HREF="http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/2005/08/raps_david_bann_1.php">Rap's David Banner Threatens to Kill Music Industry/A>

David Banner + Yummy Bingham + Chamillionaire
August 30, 2005
Eugene's

It's impossible to overstate the difference between an ordinary show and an industry showcase. Ordinary shows are effective marketing tools, OK, but they're also chances for artists to come face-to-face with the people who buy their music and for music to become an all-encompassing experience instead of something you listen to while you wash dishes. At last night's Universal showcase, music never got past the level of background noise; most of the industry professionals in the audience were evidently just there for the free drinks, sometimes talking loudly enough to drown out the artists onstage. If record labels hope to introduce their artists with events like this, they're fooling themselves. They're spending thousands upon thousands of dollars so that a few hundred people can drink for free and ignore their artists. Open bars cost money, and so do fluorescent end-tables and do David Banner inflatable punching bags and seas of balloons and laser-projectors that keep the Universal logo rotating on the club wall. It's not money well-spent.

For artists thrown into schmooze-fests like this, the logical route is to go up onstage, tell everyone who you are, do a couple of songs, and then go get yourself some free drinks. That's what Chamillionaire and Yummy Bingham both did. Neither was particularly concerned with connecting with the audience. Chamillionaire one of the five or six greatest rappers on planet Earth, a Houston MC with an effortless, slippery flow, an endless supply of dorkily perfect punchlines, and a gift for sticky singsong hooks. He's a mixtape veteran and an internet favorite, but he had to tell this crowd that his name isn't pronounced "Chuh-millionaire" and he isn't 50 Cent's little brother. He did two songs and left. Nobody noticed. Yummy Bingham is a sub-Spice Girl R&B "singer" who pretty much just speaks her lyrics and sounds like a cat being tortured when she tries to do vocal runs. She did four songs and left. Nobody noticed. I don't blame either of them for getting offstage as quickly as possible.

B>But David Banner treated the crowd's indifference as a personal insult. During the first song of his half-hour set, he ran out into the crowd, jumped up on a table, tore his shirt off, and threw Courvosier on the crowd. Then he stopped the show to preach to the crowd, telling it that the entire music industry was based within fifteen square blocks in Manhattan but that 85% of Universal's sales last year had come from Southern and Midwestern artists, that "y'all got more responsibility to promote this music." He said that his home state was flooded and that his father had "brain cancer and lung cancer" and that we needed to make him feel more at home. On the next song, he tore down the Universal banner behind the stage, threw it on as a cape, and then charged into the crowd again. He threw up devil horns and yelled, "All you white people, put ya rock signs up! And all you black people, I know you working for somebody white because that's who runs the industry, so put ya rock signs up too or else you might get fired!" Then the DJ cued up "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and Banner chanted, "Rock! Rock! Rock!" He stared into the audience and said, "If my father die and you fuck this album up, I'ma kill y'all," and gave a low chuckle. He denounced the crowd for perpetuating rap beef: "We grown men acting on some high school shit! We in front of these white folks looking like savages!" (I'm paraphrasing all these quotes, but he was really saying this stuff.) He rode some bouncer's shoulders. He put some girl up on his shoulders. He jumped up on the bar. I'm pretty sure he told the crowd that he'd pissed in Diddy's pool. And when the crowd still gave him a weak cheer at the end of his set, he screamed, "As hard as a motherfucker work, I'd rather have y'all boo me!" And still the crowd paid no attention. /B> Banner doesn't really rap at shows; he just sort of yells along with his CD. But he bared his soul to a room full of industry scumbags who couldn't have cared less. It made me happy and sad. I hope Banner's functional bullshit detector and fierce pride don't fuck up his career too much.

Posted by Tom Breihan

Comments

• Awesome.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Awesome.

that is the coolest shit i've read in a while.

• dude is the truth

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    DAMN!!!!! He is the truth. I would love to see a video of that performance!!!!

• that shit is bananas. banner is the dude.

on some "huh? what?" shit, he and DJ Shadow did a song together that'll be on Shadow's next record. i'm curious to hear that.

• i like his new video!

• i like his new video!

For which song is that!

i like his new video!

For which song is that!

are you talking about the initimate club track, play?
    that video is good. i love mtvjams

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    dude is the truth

• hahahaha that is pretty cool.

I'm not a big fan of southern rap, but i usually love the rappers themselves....

• Chamillionaire one of the five or six greatest rappers on planet Earth

• I'm pretty sure he told the crowd that he'd pissed in Diddy's pool.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    on planet Earth

- indeed.

===

dear mr david banner,

please keep your hulk persona under control. i am white and i like your records and would like to continue seeing them come out.

all best,
    paren.

no need to hijack...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    hardly a thread jack, i mean it's a db appreciation thread.

"Talk To Me" with lil flip from (the otherwise ehh) I>MTA2/I> is a seriously underrated face melter from his catalog. with all kinds of misfiring modem sounds going off and shit. him and flip are an unstopable combo (i know it's cool to hate on flipper now, but he still ok with me). i'm so sad the full length they threatened to do together never came to fruition.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    INTIMATE CLUB

• price check on David Banner inflatable punching bags. anyone seen these yet on the 'bay. possibly the illest recent promo item.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If my father die and you fuck this album up, I'ma kill y'all

Now I wanna buy his shit, this rules! Is he any good??

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Chamillionaire one of the five or six greatest rappers on planet Earth

chamillion is straight WACK! my homie is always playin his shit like "chamillion is the hardest man, you just dont know". but he sucks.

david banner is awesome though

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    If my father die and you fuck this album up, I'ma kill y'all

Now I wanna buy his shit, this rules! Is he any good??

sometimes, yes, sometimes he is VERY good. Other times, ehh. But hes probably the most punk rock dude in major label rap right now, so go support and pick up his shit.

Dude is ultra serious. I gotta hand it to him.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Chamillionaire one of the five or six greatest rappers on planet Earth

chamillion is straight WACK! my homie is always playin his shit like "chamillion is the hardest man, you just dont know". but he sucks.

david banner is awesome though

not the hardest. but definitely not wack either.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    probably the most punk rock dude in major label rap

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    chamillionaire is one of the most well-rounded rappers out since i can't even remember who the fuck

• Dude keeps it raw. Saw him in NYC last year. As he came on stage he poured a bottle of Henny on his head and ripped off his shirt. During the 2nd song he jumped into the audience and pulled a polo shirt off some kid in the front row. He wore it for about half a verse and then promptly ripped it off again...

Also heard that he did a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-type thing with MTA2, except the golden ticket was for a free college education.

• Dude keeps it raw. Saw him in NYC last year. As he came on stage he poured a bottle of Henny on his head and ripped off his shirt. During the 2nd song he jumped into the audience and pulled a polo shirt off some kid in the front row. He wore it for about half a verse and then promptly ripped it off again...

dude sounds like the gg allin of rap right here.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    All I know is my 2 1/2 year old son LOVES that new single "Play". He starts laughing hysterically and flipping out whenever he hears that weird synth noise. I need to get an instrumental version so he can listen without hearing the lyrics. Yikes!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    All I know is my 2 1/2 year old son LOVES that new single "Play". He starts laughing hysterically and flipping out whenever he hears that weird synth noise. I need to get an instrumental version so he can listen without hearing the lyrics. Yikes!
    david banner is for the kids
    http://s55.yousendit.com/d.php?id=2K8AAAYG2FOK41UA6F9TBITGGO

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Thanks buddy! He's dancing around right now. He says thank you and:

sqxCz3dcdwasddawq344r2a234tg`q4

Thanks again!

Mike and Dorian