multi jungle/dnb vibez of all eras (raer-r)

12345679»

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts

DJ Sofa - Junglist Respect

billbradleyDuderonomy

Liv.e - Ghost

Duderonomy

It's not a bad selection at all.  If you are in the mood for pacy electronica.
    ketan

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    Nice one - I liked that album when it came out and didn't realize a whole remix project dropped.
    Jimster

ketan said:
    Nice one - I liked that album when it came out and didn't realize a whole remix project dropped.

Gonna keep an eye out for Machinedrum mixes now.  

Which reminds me... Been chatting on Insta about what constitutes Jungle and what is D&B...

For me, Jungle came from Ragga and was when the Ragga sound systems started dropping rave and braekbeat under the MCs.  It has to have MCing for my money.  You could have ravier stuff under it but that is what spat out The Prodigy and Altern-8 etc.  

I know it goes back to Paul Ibiza and Fabio/Grooverider but IIRC (and it is from memory because it was not my style) it was deffo a MC-fronted genre.

Whereas... D&B... Those sped-up braeks under a wider style of music, maybe like the Rochelle-style vocals, more hi-tech or darker experimental instrumentals (I had a mate with most of the Moving Shadow releases and that for me was peak D&B).  Goldie/Metalheadz nailed the limits of the sampling tech and took it out there.  It was definitely a wider-ranging label applied after Jungle had become popular.

I do remember the Ozric Tentacles guys spun off a faster ravier/techno sound but it wasn't either of the above, (googled it - Eat Static) but listening to it now on YT it's... what... well... neither Jungle or D&B.

Takes me back... got stopped going into a D&B night because I had an MA-1 jacket on and I had an expensive metal pen in the arm pocket that the bouncer insisted was a weapon.  Before I could argue the toss my mate turned round and claimed he was the then-current premier league footballer Trevor Sinclair and that I was the opening DJ and they waved us in without paying.  Complete BS.

I should have made a career out of that.

ketanbillbradley

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    https://youtu.be/_D5beMdhK6E

https://YouTube/_D5beMdhK6E

The genre-naming thing is tricky as back then there was no internet so less consensus.
    For me, everything was Jungle until the between-time of ‘96 when jump up started and the two-step drum pattern slowly became the norm. Drum’n’Bass was to me just another marketing-hype term like Hardstep (remember that?). First time I saw D’n’B mentioned was on one of those compilations (Drum and Bass Selektor put out by Sub Bass) and it’s chock-full of Jungle tunes.
    The heavily reggae influenced stuff (which typically sampled whichever dancehall track was hot that month) was Ragga Jungle. Lots of comps of that stuff. DJ Crystal, Ruffige Kru, Photek, Source Direct etc was just dark Jungle while Bukem’s stuff was atmospheric Jungle.

^Not one mention of the term Drum and Bass in that article^

The other reason I stick with jungle for the chopped-breaks sound is that (almost?) no jungle music ever went kick-snare, kick-kick-snare. By the time DnB had become the only term used, this was also the only drum pattern used. So it continues to be the guiding principal for me as to what is jungle or what is DnB.
    Jimster

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Jimster

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    I nominate this track as the bangingist breaks track of all time

ketan

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Duderonomydj_cityboy