2023 R.I.P. Thread

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
Alan Rankine (The Associates).

64.  To be knocking out stuff like "Party Fears Two" way back was next level.  

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jan/03/alan-rankine-of-the-associates-dies-aged-64?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
TAGGED:

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Itaian football maestro Gianluca Vialli.

I remember him in his prime for Juve, a class act and a real handful to play against.  Managed Chelsea and Watford later on and was a scholar of the game and dapper gentleman pundit.

58.  Cancer.

Damn.
    ppadilhaDuderonomy

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Jeff Beck tho

fuck

Meningitis! 

And

OG Supermodel Tatjana Patitz, 56.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    skel said:
    Jeff Beck tho

fuck

Electrode

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Lisa Marie Presley. 

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Gina Lollobrigida and Yukihiro Takahashi

Jimster

Lisa Marie Presley. 

She crammed a lot in and outlived her dad.  I hope I can say the same.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I just recently discovered Sadistic Mika Band, they have some stuff.

Didn't realize Masayoshi Takanaka was in that band, he's known in Brazil for all the covers he's done of Jorge Ben and Pepeu Gomes tracks, and for playing that crazy surfboard guitar.

RIP to Yukihiro Takahashi, his albums are constantly recommended to me by the Algorithm™
    Electrode

RIP David Crosby.  Salty dude for sure - but the songs... cowabunga, dude.

Not my lane by any means but I do sometimes listen to "If I Could Only Remember My Name" on the recommendation of @RAJ and it passes the vibe check.  He was obviously a gifted musician and had a sharp wit.  Also turns out that his manager is an old acquaintance from my digging days.  Safe travels Croz.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Tom Verlaine
    Electrode

"Marquee Moon" is one of my favorite albums to listen to on long drives. 

mini

• minimini 879 Posts
    Barrett Strong 

Jimster

I have never heard about Glória Maria before today but she seems to have lived a very fascinating, full life

@ppadilha What did she say about the bungee?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Jimster said:
    @ppadilha What did she say about the bungee?

she had a good time!

her Jamaica story with the massive bong hit is legendary

Burt Bacharach, aged 94, RIP you absolute GOAT
    miniJimsterDuderonomy

Absolute banger : (They Long to Be) Close to You.  The Carpenters one.

Everyone knows a BB tune.  For me, the signature move is the melody is always written for the human voice.  And the tastemiester bab-bah horn arrangements.  I read all the obits and never knew he'd gone back so far as Marlene Dietrich and been married to Angie Dickinson, or that his Asperger's daughter killed herself.  For all the fame, there's always a hint of tragedy in the wings, right?

Lachrymosity-R : "Close to You" reminds me of my late mum.  Even before she passed, I knew this would be the tune that would always kick me right in the feels and then once more for spite, when she wasn't going to be around anymore. I remember her singing this to me at probably two or three years old.  One of my earliest memories.

Thanks Burt!
    ketan

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P. Trugoy the Dove.
    jaymackElectrodeDORketandj_cityboy

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    R.I.P.

Duderonomy

Damn, I'm been on a kick with De La lately and was just thinking about how Dave was really underappreciated as a lyricist, in particular.  Like you never hear De La - let alone Trugoy - in ppls top 10 lists (but they are to me). But as I listened back, Dave had these really thoughtful things to say and was just effortless with it across four classic albums, and then some.  It's kind of sad that he won't get to see a new generation of young people have their wigs split. RIP
    miniJimsterdj_cityboyhamNcheese

Jimster said:
    Absolute banger : (They Long to Be) Close to You.  The Carpenters one.

Everyone knows a BB tune.  For me, the signature move is the melody is always written for the human voice.  And the tastemiester bab-bah horn arrangements.  I read all the obits and never knew he'd gone back so far as Marlene Dietrich and been married to Angie Dickinson, or that his Asperger's daughter killed herself.  For all the fame, there's always a hint of tragedy in the wings, right?

Lachrymosity-R : "Close to You" reminds me of my late mum.  Even before she passed, I knew this would be the tune that would always kick me right in the feels and then once more for spite, when she wasn't going to be around anymore. I remember her singing this to me at probably two or three years old.  One of my earliest memories.

Thanks Burt!

Great reminiscence Jim, I can feel the melancholy across the miles

I just decided: the greatest Burt B song version is the Stranglers with Walk on By

Jimster

Another BB that has me choking up like the cancer ward.

Man like Len Dresslar AKA Jolly Green Giant on bass parts.  Freal Doe.

NoHOHOHO-R

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P. Raquel Welch

JimsterElectrodeDuderonomy

My mother as a child in the late 60s attended the same dance school as her and Charlene Tilton. I have to ask her more when I see her and my uncle on Friday.
    mini

Dance school, you say...?

Raquel Welch - Space Dance and California Dreamin'

ElectrodeDOR

ketan said:
    Damn, I'm been on a kick with De La lately and was just thinking about how Dave was really underappreciated as a lyricist, in particular.  Like you never hear De La - let alone Trugoy - in ppls top 10 lists (but they are to me). But as I listened back, Dave had these really thoughtful things to say and was just effortless with it across four classic albums, and then some.  It's kind of sad that he won't get to see a new generation of young people have their wigs split. RIP

I've had tickets to see them since November, it was put back on the night due to ill health but...  Damn thun.  I guess I will have to wait for hopefully some time.

Yep, one of the most creative acts on the scene, had a bigger idea than just a mic and a turntable (not that Primo/Guru didn't take that format and do it to the max) but the De La ideology was driving everything.

Richard Belzer..."he's alright, he's just sleeping"

miniJimstercove

Could just be me but HH always comes across as a 24-carat D*ck.

Jimster said:
    24-carat D*ck.

I have to use that one of these days. And no, it's not just you.