Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I'd want the Original concept art for the Beastie Boys "Licensed to Ill" cover, Jazzy Jay's Def Jam jacket and Chuck D's Raiders jacket.

• man... the prices stuff got just make no sense to me. a house worth of money on 12 year old tupac's scribblings, but just 3 grand for an operation doomsday test pressing? 7500 bucks for a wax poetics run!? damn I should dig out those first 12 issues of mine...

I dunno, I know the ship has sailed and all but sotheby's doesn't seem like a place you should find hip hop. the artifacts in that auction are cool and all, but it feels off to me.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    it was strange to me too - but it seems like most/all of the items came directly from artists/original owners.  so, hard to hate.

interesting how they were combing artifacts with new art.  the new stuff didn't generally do well/sell at all.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    DOR said:
    I'd want the Original concept art for the Beastie Boys "Licensed to Ill" cover, Jazzy Jay's Def Jam jacket and Chuck D's Raiders jacket.

That original concept art was amazing. I wish I could afford something like that to hang in my house. Maybe some day. Not today.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    can't believe no one bought The Biz's fur coat

• ppadilha said:
    can't believe no one bought The Biz's fur coat

I missed that. A damn shame.

• I also dug the original of REAGAN SLAIN BY HERO COP. Not a Haring fan (just aesthetically not my thing), at least the stuff he's known for, but that collage is right up my alley as somebody who did shit like that myself a lot as a kid, before I knew there were high-art precedents for doing it. I had a ziploc full of wild phrases I'd cut out of newspapers, and would occasionally cut out an advice column and paste them over it till it to entertain myself. I kinda wanna do it again now, just writing about it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Haring.  Basquiat.  If they were not famous and valuable, would you acquire art like that?  I have some T's with their art, but man, I probably would not want it on my walls.  Even when I was 19.

A lot of items on that auction there to shout "I am rich."

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Jimster said:
    I have some T's with their art, but man, I probably would not want it on my walls.  Even when I was 19.

How about your car?

https://dsportmag.com/the-scene/keith-haring-cars-display-petersen-automotive-museum/

• Jimster said:
    Haring.  Basquiat.  If they were not famous and valuable, would you acquire art like that?  I have some T's with their art, but man, I probably would not want it on my walls.  Even when I was 19.

also "i want to launder money/avoid taxes" or more accurately "the faceless evil I am attending this auction as a proxy for wants to launder money/avoid taxes"

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

also "i want to launder money/avoid taxes" or more accurately "the faceless evil I am attending this auction as a proxy for wants to launder money/avoid taxes"

Do you think any of the faceless-evils ever pretend to be the people on the phones? Dress like a secretary/butler, and mouth numbers into a disconnected phone while they scan the room and laugh inside…

I know I fucking would!

• That's a good point, I totally would too. If all you need to be an anonymous bidder is a phone to your ear, why wouldn't you do that all the time?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Reminds me of my sister-in-law and her late best friend.  For amusement on a night out, they would pretend to be close-protection agents, by simply putting their plastic drinks straws by their ear with bendy part to their mouth and mutter low nonsense across the room to each other whilst maintaining serious eye contact.

Cancer got her young.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Yemsky said:

So… a lot of these appear to just be photos. Presumably the photographer can smash out more from the negatives though? I don’t really see the point in paying anything for something that couldn’t be sold as a poster or put in a book/collection of pix.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Yeah, I used to think that about collectable photos in general, but then accepted that the pedigree of an “original”, maybe with signature or numbered makes it acceptable…. until photography went digital and I again had my doubts. 
    With the posters, I can understand it as they would have been limited at the time and mostly glued to some billboard somewhere and to get a pristine copy would have been “rare”. We used to have an HR manager who previously worked for Bonham’s and I remember her bringing I the catalogues of their pop memorabilia auctions in the 90s (for stuff from the 60-70s). It makes sense that 20-30 years after a “period” comes the time where adults want to relive their childhood via collecting. 
    I still can’t get my head around anyone dropping $60,000 and up for the Supreme skateboard. SMH. 

objet d'art vs a collectible

IF I WERE RICH, i'd consider bidding on the grill RZA wore in that Gravediggaz photoshoot.  on the other hand, i made a bootleg t-shirt using this pic when i was a teenager, and would maybe frame a poster of it now for kicks.

Post Punk Industrial  Gravediggaz  6 Feet Deep LP Some Friday the 13TH

edit: but i do also get that photographic prints straight from the OG photographer are special in a way.  it's a different medium, so hard to compare.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    just wait until Raj starts selling NFTs of those Le Toupt posts
    YemskyElectrodeketanklezmer electro-thug beats

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    Jimster said:

Basquiat has some nice stuff tho, some of his stuff i could put on my wall.most of it, i would not. haring is just vapor in my eyes tho.