Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    RIP HIP HOP. 

- spidey

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    RIP HIP HOP. 

- spidey

Swearing is dead LOL, some verses completely silenced out.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts

Alan Hawkshaw, 84, pneumonia, on Saturday, 16. Oct 2021. 

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Yemsky said:

RIP. Forever the Champ on the keys.

• Damn, at least he was ripping up the B3 like well into his 70s.
    Duderonomy

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    A hiking buddy in the music industry, a woman who cuts my hair, both Nuyoricans, and I were talking about salsa. I was asked, "did you hear that Roberto Roena passed away?" No, I did not.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    RIP Dolph - He's probably not a Strut fav rapper or anything, but he was nice with the wordplay.
    klezmer electro-thug beats

• Yeah I've never really sought out his stuff but when it came up I always enjoyed it. He was talented and did good with his money (which he had because he stayed independent and owned his own masters, I think). A shame.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Yemsky said:

The Hawkman goeth.

People may not know his name but they know his music.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    RIP Robbie Shakespeare, if the internet is to be believed

It's true, unfortunately. He didn't recover after surgery. Rest easy. His name was on everything late 70s onward! 

Here's him, Sly and the band on Letterman to promote the "Reggae Greats" dub LP. He's  at 1:58-2:21.

JimsterDuderonomy

Electrode said:
    It's true, unfortunately. He didn't recover after surgery. Rest easy. His name was on everything late 70s onward! 

Here's Sly and Letterman's band to promote the "Reggae Greats" dub LP. He's  at 1:58-2:21.

Playing Will Lee's "KAZ" Jazz bass, Will is filling in on the DX7.  I never got to meet Robbie but I suspect the bulk of the Paul Reed Smith bass guitar collection is in his estate!

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts

ppadilha said:
    RIP Robbie Shakespeare

One of my all time favourite grooves was created in 1981 at Compass Point Studios in Nassau, Bahamas by Sly Dunbar (Drums), Sticky Thompson (Percussion) and Robbie Shakespeare (Bass) with Monte Brown, Barry Reynolds and Mao Chung sharing Guitar duties while Wally Badarou worked the Prophet 5 for the Alex Sadkin / Chris Blackwell produced "Pull Up To The Bumper" by Grace Jones. I always felt that all commercially available versions needed to have the break extended, so here it is: A longer intro with lots of percussion breakdowns before the vocals come in and the Party version starts at 3:56.

ElectrodeketanDuderonomy

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    RIP Mike Nesmith.  As a huge fan of the Monkees and his country rock solo work, this one hurts.

ketan

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    he was a good dude. Damn. 
    Electrode

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    https://gofund.me/36775464

There is a gofundme for his family. 

• RIP Kangol Kid from UTFO

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    RIP Andrew Wartts 
    https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/23385287/andrew-wartts

There is a God Somewhere by Andrew Wartts and The Gospel Storytellers is one of the best gospel albums ever.

Yemsky

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    RIP Andrew Wartts 
    https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/23385287/andrew-wartts

There is a God Somewhere by Andrew Wartts and The Gospel Storytellers is one of the best gospel albums ever.

So, I have the vinyl reissue he himself (?) brought out in limited quantities.

But there was meant to be a full commercial vinyl and CD reissue via Egon and Now Again some years ago which did not happen because they had a falling out if I understood correctly? Does anyone know the full story?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Andrew released the reissue after the OG blew up and it started selling for good money. Several articles were written about the album and collectors were hot after copies. I'm happy that he was able to get some money in the end from it before he passed. 

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    RIP SOULSTRUT. CATCH ME IN THE MF METAVERSE.

- spidey

James Mtume!

Electrode

He plays on a couple of Health LP favorites I was listening to just this week.

Sidney Poitier passed as well

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    RIP Bob Saget.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    RIP James Mtume

Damn, so many big ones lately.  Always seems to happen around the holidays.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Jimster said:
    James Mtume!

I had an early 1985 copy of Blues & Soul magazine in my hands this weekend. 

ElectrodeGibbo

Jason Palma did a proper tribute to Mtume a couple of weeks back on Higher Ground - “pure magic” (off some x-men/raida tape bitd...) 
    https://bit.ly/3KQEXLR