Couple of track IDs (halp nedded)

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
edited October 2021 in Strut Central
The first one has been bugging me for a while. Before I left England in 2014 I was digitising my vinyl collection at a rate of knots and often failed to accurately take note of track titles. So I've got this, which I know think is an Axelrod, but all of my youtube research turns up nothing. Knowing that there's been many decent remasters released I'd like to mint-up, but have no idea of what this is:

https://soundcloud.com/1-hand-clapping/david-axelrod

Second, I remember that a Numero comp released the instrumental to Syl Johnson's Is It Because I'm Black under it's OG name (ie a different band and title). With the sheer volume of Numero comps out there, is anyone able to save me some time and tell me what I'm looking for here?
klezmer electro-thug beats

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    "This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed"
    Duderonomy

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    D'oh, I had it on private.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Don Randi - Theme From Che (produced by Axlerod)
    DuderonomyJimster

OK, so I don't feel completely stupid - if you'd told me it was another guy altogether I'd need my diggeur badge revoked.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Second, I remember that a Numero comp released the instrumental to Syl Johnson's Is It Because I'm Black under it's OG name (ie a different band and title). With the sheer volume of Numero comps out there, is anyone able to save me some time and tell me what I'm looking for here?

It's not all instrumental, but maybe you're thinking of the unreleased Pieces Of Peace on Cali-Tex?

Electrode said:

It's not all instrumental, but maybe you're thinking of the unreleased Pieces Of Peace on Cali-Tex?

No, I had that comp, this was on a 45 under a different artist & track title. At one of the Vinyl Vultures London meets in the early '00s Nick Cope played it (IIRC), then a decade later I see it on a Numero comp like Best of Twinight. It's called something like the Rufus Edwards Group, Theme in G Major or something so unconnected it's clear that it was an earlier instrumental release that the label overdubbed the vocals onto.

OK, found the Numero release. It's a comp called Light On The South Side, and it's listed as a Syl Johnson instrumental. Now I wonder if I'm losing my marbles. I was sure the OG 45 isn't called that. Oh well.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    • I think you're looking for E. Rodney Jones  - Soul Heaven maybe?
    Duderonomy

Bingo! I knew it wasn't called Is It Because... I'm going to settle for the Numero reish though. My days of paying bucks for rare sevens are long gone.